Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I have the $80 Harbor Freight compressor. It's great, but I hate having to clamp to the battery- mostly because there isn't a good place to leave it on the front of the Jeep without it vibrating off.

I'd like to do some sort of rear cargo area hook up/ plug in I could wire to Aux 1-4, hook my compressor up, set it in a stable place in the rear cargo area, and air up after the trail. I don't want to permanently install my compressor anywhere; mostly because I have kids and use the rear cargo area regularly when pulling family hauling duties, and I like to be able to move the compressor as needed and I don't need the extra noise in the cab. Likewise- I don't want to spend extra money on an expensive compressor when this one does it's job fine.

Has anyone done anything like this before? bonus for experience/ pics.
Sponsored

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I run my compressor in the back from one of the 40 amp aux circuits, but that requires running a wire from the front to the rear cargo area. To do this cleanly you should remove the interior trim along either the driver or passenger side and follow the other wires along the rockers and up the rear wheel well. Passenger side makes the most sense since you can use the aux circuit leads in the passenger footwell. You only need to run the positive, you can use one of the ground studs under the rear trim piece in the back.

Depending on what your compressor draws for current, the easiest approach may be to use your 7-pin trailer connector, that supports up to 30 amps.

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Use the rear 12v outlet in the cargo area?
I don't think so, does not support the load of a compressor - at least one of any size.

If you run a circuit you'd need to add your own connector of some kind (mine is hardwired in). There's space behind the rear trim pieces in a couple of spots to put such a connector but to figure out exactly where you need to remove it (the left and right side are different, and may even depend on what options you have, I think the park sense electronics take space behind the trim panel on the passenger side)

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I don't think so, does not support the load of a compressor - at least one of any size.

If you run a circuit you'd need to add your own connector of some kind (mine is hardwired in). There's space behind the rear trim pieces in a couple of spots to put such a connector but to figure out exactly where you need to remove it (the left and right side are different, and may even depend on what options you have, I think the park sense electronics take space behind the trim panel on the passenger side)
interesting, I have been running my compressor off the cargo 12v outlet without issues.

Is your compressor over 160W?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
12V outlet isn't ideal for a compressor to fill tires. I had one when I first started out wheeling and it broke after 1 trip. It was too small and burnt out. I've never seen another compressor that runs off the 12V outlet since (except maybe the ones that you use to blow up air mattresses).

That's what I was thinking. What kind of connectors would work best for this? The compressor has alligator clamps that clamp to the battery. I know they could be removed/ swapped out, just tryingt to plan this out in my head.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’d be tempted to just drop a 40A fuse in for the 7 pin trailer plug. Or you can just use the 30A and bring some extras until you figure out what trips it if your peak draw is 32A.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
If you want to use Aux 1 or 2 you can just run an 8 gauge wire from the passenger footwell to the back by tucking it under the edge of the trim. Remove the trim piece at the curve on the passenger door and you will find a ground stud you can use for the ground. You can fish the wires out thru a small carpet slit on either passenger or driver side. Those WAGO connectors (amazon) work really nice for connections you might be changing later.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Updated on this: I went through the trouble of ordering all the parts but my compressor wouldn't fill my 4 way tire inflation system so I ended up spending the $$$ on an ARB Twin (knock off) from Amazon, wiring it in to the battery, and tying the switch wiring to Aux 2 (40 amp fuse). Details in my build thread.
Sponsored