First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I need the experience and help of the jeep community to tell me if what I’m seeing is a rear main seal leak or not. At the same time I did notice that it appears that my oil filter housing may be leaking as well. Not sure if it related. Anyone seen anything similar to this?

18D6EA9D-3642-44D8-98AF-14FE092C6B35.jpeg
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That could be a rear main seal, but could also be the upper oil pan. Oil filter housing leak would more likely be visible towards the top of the engine, such as on the valve covers.

OP
OP
Nvdardx28

Nvdardx28

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That could be a rear main seal, but could also be the upper oil pan. Oil filter housing leak would more likely be visible towards the top of the engine, such as on the valve covers.
Thanks, upper oil pan? Is there another layer up there? Also, is there any easy way to inspect the rear main seal? This is a 3.6 Auto.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, upper oil pan? Is there another layer up there? Also, is there any easy way to inspect the rear main seal? This is a 3.6 Auto.
Oh yeah, the section above the smaller black pan is notorious for leaking into the bell housing, too. If that's the case, draining the oil, pulling the pan, and resealing it with RTV will do the trick.

Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to see specifically what's leaking when it's inside like that. You can pull one of those rubber plugs and feed a snake camera in there, but unless you get lucky, all that's really going to do is confirm there IS a leak, not so much what is leaking.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nvdardx28

Nvdardx28

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Oh yeah, the section above the smaller black pan is notorious for leaking into the bell housing, too. If that's the case, draining the oil, pulling the pan, and resealing it with RTV will do the trick.

Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way to see specifically what's leaking when it's inside like that. You can pull one of those rubber plugs and feed a snake camera in there, but unless you get lucky, all that's really going to do is confirm there IS a leak, not so much what is leaking.
I think I can manage that as is it seems pretty straightforward. I’ll add it to the list. At 48k miles not pleased that this engine is having these issues. You would hope at the point Jeep would have figured their stuff out. There are guys here in the forum with this issue at 5k miles… absurd.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you can manage the oil pan, I'd start there on your next oil change and see if that helps. If not, then you know it's the rear main seal.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I was recently having a conversation with my mechanic in this vein. IIRC, what he said is that the oil filter housing is fairly common to develop a leak. And when it does, it runs downhill until it where it drops out, it gives every appearance of being a rear main seal leak.

So, the fact that it looks like your oil filter housing is leaking makes it pretty unlikely that you're simultaneously experiencing a rear main seal leak.

Oil filter housing is a much easier repair.

OP
OP
Nvdardx28

Nvdardx28

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was recently having a conversation with my mechanic in this vein. IIRC, what he said is that the oil filter housing is fairly common to develop a leak. And when it does, it runs downhill until it where it drops out, it gives every appearance of being a rear main seal leak.

So, the fact that it looks like your oil filter housing is leaking makes it pretty unlikely that you're simultaneously experiencing a rear main seal leak.

Oil filter housing is a much easier repair.
That’s good news, I know it’s a pain to swap the oil filter housing but now with the after market aluminum housing I think it’s worth it. With that fixed I could wait until the next oil change and see if that oil stain got worse or not.
Again, why has jeep continued with this plastic design? JKs had the same problem and they kept essentially the same housing for the JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nvdardx28

Nvdardx28

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
2019, 48k miles. Warranty?
Yes I have the extended warranty. I have to weigh my options. I’m heading into a storm here, had some bad death wobble 2 months ago. Couldn’t get a dealer to look at it until June! I replaced the trackbar and steering stabilizer, and the trackbar got rid of 80% of it so now it’s driveable. The dealer gave my a hard time about doing my own trackbar etc. Tried to tell my that I voided all warranties.

I have the door hinge and door pane corrosion on the paint in a few spots. And now most likely this oil filter housing. The list keeps going…

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Yes I have the extended warranty. I have to weigh my options. I’m heading into a storm here, had some bad death wobble 2 months ago. Couldn’t get a dealer to look at it until June! I replaced the trackbar and steering stabilizer, and the trackbar got rid of 80% of it so now it’s driveable. The dealer gave my a hard time about doing my own trackbar etc. Tried to tell my that I voided all warranties.

I have the door hinge and door pane corrosion on the paint in a few spots. And now most likely this oil filter housing. The list keeps going…
Bummer, I've been disappointed with Jeep's service/warranty since purchase. Not sure if it is a result of the COVID pandemic or this is typical for Jeep. I don't want to get into all the disappointments I've had with Jeep service. Great product, terrible execution. In my 30 years of vehicle ownership I've had Chevys, Hondas, and Toyotas, and Jeep's execution of service has been the worst.

I'd hang on to get your vehicle in as soon as possible, even if you have to drive a bit to find a dealership within your time window. The second you start digging into it yourself, they'll most likely disclaim the whole lot.

OP
OP
Nvdardx28

Nvdardx28

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Bummer, I've been disappointed with Jeep's service/warranty since purchase. Not sure if it is a result of the COVID pandemic or this is typical for Jeep. I don't want to get into all the disappointments I've had with Jeep service. Great product, terrible execution. In my 30 years of vehicle ownership I've had Chevys, Hondas, and Toyotas, and Jeep's execution of service has been the worst.

I'd hang on to get your vehicle in as soon as possible, even if you have to drive a bit to find a dealership within your time window. The second you start digging into it yourself, they'll most likely disclaim the whole lot.
Some good points, I really should broaden my dealership radius if it means I get the right service done. The customer service has been the worst I have seen today as well. Before COVID it was better. Pretty much every dealer in my area tells me they don’t have rentals available either. I have an old truck as a third vehicle but it’s not something that I can fit a car seat in for the kids. So it’s going to be tough to sort through these issues.

But it wouldn’t surprise me though if a dealer puts a new oil filter housing in under warranty, only to crack it the first time they put the oil filter in.