Rear defroster wire detached

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
It’s almost ten degrees where I live and I woke up this morning to defrost my car.

After my car warmed up, I waited a hour and the back window still wouldn’t defrost.

I went back and opened the window and discovered that one of the wires was detached from this window.

I’ve seen this incident happen to many people on this forum. Would anyone happen to know how it was fixed?

It definitely fell apart on its own because I haven’t opened my trunk in a while.

Any advice would be appreciated

02BBC005-B9AE-4EC0-BE34-5DFBB002C8DC.jpeg

25F65EDF-5A07-4706-9C88-36A2319B800C.jpeg
Sponsored

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
take it to dealer, let them figure it out. Very common problem.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Many threads on it. Warranty claim. Fixes are resolder, conductive epoxy, and rear window replacement.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Bummer. I agree that you should take it to your dealer. That said, here's another solution:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRL-Loct...MIg-jO9O3_3wIVWrbACh08EARSEAQYASABEgLLDvD_BwE

That's a good idea Nate.

I should buy that just in case so I can summarily proceed to forget where I put it should I need it, and then when I find it, discover that the tube is dried up.;)

But otherwise a great suggestion. I didn't know of conductive epoxies before, barring, of course, my own magnetic charm.;)

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
The issue is that, I think, you'd be penalized for trying to fix a problem like this on your own. So it happens and you glue it and then it fails (your first attempt, no shame in that). So the next step is to take it to the dealership and, you guessed it, they say, "hey, there's epoxy here and so it's no longer a warranty issue. Hit the road, jack." It takes some of the problem-solving fun outta, well, I guess, problem-solving.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Even without touching it, you might be accused of messing with it. On some of the earlier threads, the dealer accused someone of sanding the solder in an attempt to fix it. Many people posted photos of theres looking the same way.
But I have heard of the dealer attempting to resolder, using the epoxy, and replacing the window to fix this problem, sometimes trying all three.

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
You know, the older guys on the forum (myself included) probably read the thread title and thaught to themselves...
"It's good to wake up in the morning"
:)

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Had the same thing happen twice on the "JK". Dealer replaced the window twice under warranty. It's a known problem. The second time an improvement was made. They added a little plastic cable holder to the window. It was fine after that.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
You know, the older guys on the forum (myself included) probably read the thread title and thaught to themselves...
"It's good to wake up in the morning"
:)
I totally agree! The older we get, the more we enjoy the simple things in life. Waking up is definitely a plus.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
It’s almost ten degrees where I live and I woke up this morning to defrost my car.

After my car warmed up, I waited a hour and the back window still wouldn’t defrost.

I went back and opened the window and discovered that one of the wires was detached from this window.

I’ve seen this incident happen to many people on this forum. Would anyone happen to know how it was fixed?

It definitely fell apart on its own because I haven’t opened my trunk in a while.

Any advice would be appreciated

02BBC005-B9AE-4EC0-BE34-5DFBB002C8DC.jpeg

25F65EDF-5A07-4706-9C88-36A2319B800C.jpeg

Oh let me tell you how much fun I had with this same issue last week.

I took the jeep to my dealer where i purchased it, and they tried to tell me that it was my fault that it fell off. After about 6 hours a bitching with the service manager I finally showed him how it was physically impossible based on the shape of the deformed solder. So now I am getting it fixed under warranty. Its a fairly common issue. FCA has a service bulletin out saying the glass needs to be replaced to fix it. No gluing allowed, and to top it off rear glass is on back order so I will get it in mid to late Feb. And i'm in Minnesota where our high temp on Saturday was -10 F.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Oh let me tell you how much fun I had with this same issue last week.

I took the jeep to my dealer where i purchased it, and they tried to tell me that it was my fault that it fell off. After about 6 hours a bitching with the service manager I finally showed him how it was physically impossible based on the shape of the deformed solder. So now I am getting it fixed under warranty. Its a fairly common issue. FCA has a service bulletin out saying the glass needs to be replaced to fix it. No gluing allowed, and to top it off rear glass is on back order so I will get it in mid to late Feb. And i'm in Minnesota where our high temp on Saturday was -10 F.

Late February?!?!?!? I just had the dealer get a claim going for me today... I won't need a rear defroster by then.
Sponsored