Reading oil dipstick

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
So please be nice…..I checked the oil for first time and I want to know if I’m reading the diesel dip stick correct. There arnt any marks like I’m used to with the old 4.0L straight 6 engines. Just looks like this…
Jeep Wrangler JL Reading oil dipstick 1FF2F03C-691F-4212-8C6F-F89EC2969FF4

Jeep Wrangler JL Reading oil dipstick 61A303AF-7319-4B52-83E2-21E6E3413BBD

Am I right in assuming if oil is in the hash marks it’s OK level?
Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
Yeah, but why not add a little to get it to the top edge of the hash marks? It's easier on the oil if it is topped off full, more volume for the dilution of contaminants and you have that safety factor that the level can go down a little and it will still be fine.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Typically the top of the hash marks indicate full. Below the marks, but still visible on the dipstick is about 1 quart less than full. Anywhere in between is ok.

OP
OP
JL Diesel

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
Yeah, but why not add a little to get it to the top edge of the hash marks? It's easier on the oil if it is topped off full, more volume for the dilution of contaminants and you have that safety factor that the level can go down a little and it will still be fine.
Thanks. This is how it came from the factory and I don’t want to add a different oil than what is in there. It’s only at 4500 miles.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
How long have you owned the JL? And this is the first time you’ve checked it? Pretty lucky as a few of the diesels have eaten plenty of oil with less miles.

You are a quart low, you’d be better off if you added some.

But, you are at 4500 miles on the original oil, you could just change the oil and put all new in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JL Diesel

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
How long have you owned the JL? And this is the first time you’ve checked it? Pretty lucky as a few of the diesels have eaten plenty of oil with less miles.

You are a quart low, you’d be better off if you added some.

But, you are at 4500 miles on the original oil, you could just change the oil and put all new in.
I’ve had it 5 months. I think I checked everything when I got it but I don’t think it registered the stick was different until now when it seemed liked more oil should be visible.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I’ve had it 5 months. I think I checked everything when I got it but I don’t think it registered the stick was different until now when it seemed liked more oil should be visible.
Well, you are a quart low, so that’s why it isn’t reading much. So either add a quart or change it.

Just for your info, when you do change the oil, good luck reading the dip stick. It’s a horrible design and hard to read fresh oil.

I love my 3.0, but there’s little things like the dip stick that just make you shake your head and ask “WTF”.

Deleted member 59498

Hilarious I just checked mine yesterday when I was filling the windshield cleaner tank.

I checked it and made no sense to me. Of course I had just shut down about 2 mins before checking it. I put it in dry and it had a little oil on the indention part. Hope that is correct.

Wasn't sure if I wanted to ask here haha.

Mine looked almost identical to yours just some in the hash marks. Super black also is that normal with diesel?

Deleted member 59498

I will check mine again when it has not been running for a bit.

Deleted member 59498

Well, you are a quart low, so that’s why it isn’t reading much. So either add a quart or change it.

Just for your info, when you do change the oil, good luck reading the dip stick. It’s a horrible design and hard to read fresh oil.

I love my 3.0, but there’s little things like the dip stick that just make you shake your head and ask “WTF”.

I am not fan of the cable, was surprised how it was made. The reading was not intuitive either. But oh well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JL Diesel

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 JL Diesel Sport S
Hilarious I just checked mine yesterday when I was filling the windshield cleaner tank.

I checked it and made no sense to me. Of course I had just shut down about 2 mins before checking it. I put it in dry and it had a little oil on the indention part. Hope that is correct.

Wasn't sure if I wanted to ask here haha.

Mine looked almost identical to yours just some in the hash marks. Super black also is that normal with diesel?
Haha. I checked it today because I was filling the wiper fluid.

azbobver

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Permanent Vacation
Always check the oil with a warm engine about 5 minutes after shutting down. Oil level should be within the hash marks.

At your mileage you should not be using any oil.

I’ve checked mine when cold and it is always on the low end of the dip stick. When checking with a warm engine at 5 minutes after shutting down it has always shown within the hash marks.

I have 12k on my 21 JLURD. Living in the heat of southern Arizona and after off road adventures I’ve never had to add oil.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
I've had a few cars/trucks with this type of dipstick.
I've found that you get the best results by cleaning the business end of the stick of any residual oil really well before inserting it in for the read. If it's nice and clean/dry when it goes in, you'll find it pretty easy to read after pulling out.....
Am I talking about dipsticks? 🤔🤣

And upon pulling out, keep it upright (don't invert the stick), to keep the oil from traveling up the hashmarks.

Seriously! I'm talking about oil dipsticks here!.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I used a red scotch pad and sanded mine down until it's a mate finish. It's really helped with reading the new oils.
Sponsored