Sponsored

Racor Hoist System

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Racor lift and Topsy brackets a few months ago. I mounted two 5' long 2x4's to the ceiling joists in my garage. I was able to use 3 large lag bolts for each one. Then I mounted the Racor to the 2x4's using the supplied bolts. I also used 1" PVC with pipe insulation abound it; zip tied it to the bottom of the rack to prevent any scratching of the top.
IMG_0199.jpg
I also used 1" PVC with pipe insulation abound it; zip tied it to the bottom of the rack to prevent any scratching of the top.

... clever. I think I’ll add this in the spring.
Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I also used 1" PVC with pipe insulation abound it; zip tied it to the bottom of the rack to prevent any scratching of the top.

... clever. I think I’ll add this in the spring.
ahhh the pvc pipe. that solves a problem for me. my noodles keep falling off the lift. so simple!

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
Can someone tell me what the highest I can get with the topsy clips. I seen 44" but does anyone have that beat?

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I guess what I'm trying to say is how low profile can it get. The ceiling to the bottom of the jeep top. How much space does it take up?
The bottom of my top is about 50" from the ceiling. I have the freedom panels and other items stored on top of the Racor platform. It could be raised at least another 6" and if the stored items were removed it could be raised about 12 - 18".

Jeep Wrangler JL Racor Hoist System Racor and Topsy Top Hoist

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
The bottom of my top is about 50" from the ceiling. I have the freedom panels and other items stored on top of the Racor platform. It could be raised at least another 6" and if the stored items were removed it could be raised about 12 - 18".

Jeep Wrangler JL Racor Hoist System Racor and Topsy Top Hoist
Perfect thank you. How tall is your ceiling?

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 F150, 2018 V-Strom 650
Where can you buy these? They seem to be sold out everywhere

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Has anyone with a Racor used it to lift the top with a RhinoRack Backbone and Pioneer Platform installed? Added weight is about 90 pounds. I have the metal Topsy cams.

Sponsored

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
Has anyone with a Racor used it to lift the top with a RhinoRack Backbone and Pioneer Platform installed? Added weight is about 90 pounds. I have the metal Topsy cams.
I've done it, would not recommend. The two main issues were that the added weight changes the center of gravity and the top will lean pretty badly, and the height of the rack means you need a slightly longer strap to go under the top or add an extra hook or something at the end to get enough length, otherwise the bolts on the hoist will scratch the platform. Now I will remove the platform first, store it against the wall, and then use the hoist to lift the top off.

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
I've done it, would not recommend. The two main issues were that the added weight changes the center of gravity and the top will lean pretty badly, and the height of the rack means you need a slightly longer strap to go under the top or add an extra hook or something at the end to get enough length, otherwise the bolts on the hoist will scratch the platform. Now I will remove the platform first, store it against the wall, and then use the hoist to lift the top off.
I found another thread that is using a second set of the short straps and a set of eyebolts on the rack. #277 Using the extra straps to eyebolts solves your first problem and the eyebolts can be adjusted to balance the CG.

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
I found another thread that is using a second set of the short straps and a set of eyebolts on the rack. #277 Using the extra straps to eyebolts solves your first problem and the eyebolts can be adjusted to balance the CG.
Well that's definitely one way to do it... not sure how great that is for the longevity of the top, it will add a lot of stress to support the weight of the top at the RR mounting holes... the backbone is designed to transfer the weight of the rack down to the roll cage and body.

Edit: but thinking about it some more this is pretty much what the topsy brackets are doing, so it's probably no worse than that... 🤷‍♂️

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Well that's definitely one way to do it... not sure how great that is for the longevity of the top, it will add a lot of stress to support the weight of the top at the RR mounting holes... the backbone is designed to transfer the weight of the rack down to the roll cage and body.

Edit: but thinking about it some more this is pretty much what the topsy brackets are doing, so it's probably no worse than that... 🤷‍♂️

I was worried about the extra weight so to limit the issue of extra strain I mounted a couple 2x4's to the ceiling beside my hoist to hang chains from. I then padded a three 2x4's for the top to rest on. The hardtop and rack are only suspended from the hoist for as long as it takes me to connect the padded 2x4's to the chain and tighten four tournbuckles to take up the slack so the top is resting on the 2x4's then I release the tension from the hoist.

I would add better pics but my garage is being remodeled and the hoist has been taken down temporarily.

Jeep Wrangler JL Racor Hoist System 1622865944641

Jeep Wrangler JL Racor Hoist System 1622866025375

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Exactly, if anything this solution distributes the weight better than the Topsy brackets and strap.
Sponsored