Sponsored

Question on mounting a winch...

DieselTrooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 Diesel
So I ordered a Fab Fours stubby bumper for my 2020 JLU, which comes with a separate winch mounting plate. From everything I’ve read general instruction not specific to what I ordered say you should mount a winch on the bumper BEFORE you install the bumper. I’ve also seen where people say, when using a winch plate, you can install the bumper and Mount the winch at a later date using the winch plate without removing the bumper.
So which is it?
Can I install the bumper now and install the winch later without removing the bumper?
Or, do I need to install the winch on the bumper, then install the bumper?
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I added a winch plate and winch to my my factory plastic bumper. I installed the winch to the plate. Removed my bumper and installed the winch plate with winch and the replaced the bumper. Needed a couple extra hands to hold winch plate and winch in place while I tightened it. Not sure if same process if changing bumper? I know it would have been really thought mount winch after the plate was I stalled. Good luck and share pics when installed.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Depends on the bumper, but honestly- whatever is less work/ lifting.

If a winch mounts on top of the bumper? I mount the bumper, then the winch/ plate.
If it's a submerged/ recessed winch mount: I mount the plate, then mount the winch, then mount the bumper.
Sponsored