Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got my SpiderTrax spacers and I had a question about how long or if I need to wait for the red thread locker to cure. My goal was to get them on tonight but since I need to drive tomorrow, do I need to wait to install so they can cure once installed?
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
So I just got my SpiderTrax spacers and I had a question about how long or if I need to wait for the red thread locker to cure. My goal was to get them on tonight but since I need to drive tomorrow, do I need to wait to install so they can cure once installed?
make sure the mating surfaces are clean, place a dab of locktite, install spacers and torque to 130 ft lbs. Install wheels and tighten lugs to 130 ft lbs and enjoy

brett

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Question - is thread locker really necessary on wheel spacers? Or for just some spacer manufacturers?

If been running Bora spacers for around 10k miles without thread locker. Primarily because the manufacturer does not recommend it. I've been checking the torque every time I rotate tires and they haven't moved from the 130lbs when installed.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Question - is thread locker really necessary on wheel spacers? Or for just some spacer manufacturers?

If been running Bora spacers for around 10k miles without thread locker. Primarily because the manufacturer does not recommend it. I've been checking the torque every time I rotate tires and they haven't moved from the 130lbs when installed.
It’s not necessary, but doesn’t hurt as an extra safety measure.

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Here:
Also... I remember you have to drive it for I believe 500 miles and then retorque the spacer nuts at 120 Foot Pounds (NOT 130 foot pounds as you will loosen the threadlocker and defeat the purpose of it)

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not necessary, but doesn’t hurt as an extra safety measure.
That's what I thought. I'm good running without thread locker.

Just wondering why some manufacturers recommend using and others recommended against using a thread locker.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
That's what I thought. I'm good running without thread locker.

Just wondering why some manufacturers recommend using and others recommended against using a thread locker.
I don't think anyone recommends against it. Those that recommend it do so because many people don't do any maintenence and would never re-torque them.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think anyone recommends against it. Those that recommend it do so because many people don't do any maintenence and would never re-torque them.
Yes, some manufacturers recommend against thread lockers. Bora for one. I believe it even voids their lifetime warranty.

You're probably right why most manufacturers recommend using because many people don't maintain or check lug torque.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Yes, some manufacturers recommend against thread lockers. Bora for one. I believe it even voids their lifetime warranty.

You're probably right why most manufacturers recommend using because many people don't maintain or check lug torque.
They also say must be installed by a professional mechanic, and no impact tools, or the warranty is void. 1. Good luck finding a professional mechanic who doesn't use impact tools 2. I never realized installing a spacer was so complex that anybody who could change a tire couldn't do it instinctively 3. Now I remember why I don't read the directions on something as simple as a wheel spacer
Sponsored