Q: Vehicle contents security

Pilotjeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0 eTorque
Hi, folks. I did a search and didn't find any related material, so I registered to ask a question. I'm thinking about possibly getting an Unlimited, but I have no experience with Jeeps.

How safe are the contents of your Jeep? What I mean is, I recently read something or other stating or implying that anything left in a Jeep is open to be stolen. I don't know whether this is just related to soft tops that could be cut to gain entry, or if there's more to it. I've also heard of doors being stolen, which could be related, but my concern is that I am a musician part of the time and I would by necessity need to have a vehicle with the same level of security as you would expect in an ordinary car.

What do you say?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi, folks. I did a search and didn't find any related material, so I registered to ask a question. I'm thinking about possibly getting an Unlimited, but I have no experience with Jeeps.

How safe are the contents of your Jeep? What I mean is, I recently read something or other stating or implying that anything left in a Jeep is open to be stolen. I don't know whether this is just related to soft tops that could be cut to gain entry, or if there's more to it. I've also heard of doors being stolen, which could be related, but my concern is that I am a musician part of the time and I would by necessity need to have a vehicle with the same level of security as you would expect in an ordinary car.

What do you say?
If you have a hard top then a wrangler is no more or less secure than any other vehicle. Doors can't be removed if they're locked.

If you have a soft top some crackhead will slash your thousand dollar soft top to steal a nickel from the console, so leave absolutely nothing inside and the doors unlocked at all times.

You CAN get aftermarket security decks to secure the cargo area with a soft top or no top installed but the storage is limited compared to what I've seen most musicians carry around.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Knock on wood, one year in I haven’t had anything stolen / soft top is still intact. I don’t live in a necessarily bad place but it’s very well populated so I wouldn’t call theft uncommon. I’ve heard about and seen weirdos checking doors to see if they’re locked for instance... and my partner who for whatever reason leaves his Renegade door unlocked has noted that someone clearly rummaged through it (we keep nothing in both Jeeps so..).

I’d say leave valuable stuff out of sight, just like you would any other vehicle and you should be fine.

And days where you’re running topless and doorless (or oderless as my iPhone hilariously autocorrected in another thread on this topic), you just have to learn to not care about it.

OP
OP

Pilotjeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I didn't want to assume about running with the hard tops, so that's good to know.

As far as those hard tops go, they offer a headliner option of some sort. Is it a matter of the base being a hard metal or plastic unit on the underside, and the headliner option makes it like a regular car?

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
I don't think it matters much if you have soft or hard top, or no top at all, don't leave anything in what ever vehicle you have that's worth stealing. It takes less time to pop a glass window than to slice a plastic window or soft top. Leave a bag on your seat in any kind of car and if someone wants it and has a glass popper (or knife) it'll be gone in about 5 seconds.

If you can fit what ever instrument(s) you have into the cargo area and not go over the height of the side walls, you can get one of those steel cargo toppers for some added safety, they seem to work really well. Not Fort Knox, but will keep the opportunity grabbers at bay.

But get the Jeep you want with the roof you want, neither offers any security against theft. Sadly.

As for the headliners, I think they are just for sound dampening, put on with double sided tape. I'm not sure what the hard top is made of, but it's not metal. And from what I read here, the ones Jeep offers aren't that great, there are other third party ones that people seem to like better. I'm still undecided if I want dual top or just one or the other, but I won't be ordering this year either, don't need a 3rd car yet, my son just got his provisional instruction permit. Next year, maybe...

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Big cities like SF have about 51 car break ins a day (1500-2000 a month), thieves go through glass after than you can your key.

So for a wrangler if you are concerned about theft you gotta get the rear locking cargo (ie it makes a "trunk"), its not worth breaking in if they cant see if there is anything to get + time to break locks.

For small stuff get a locking console, like Tuffy.

For parking permits, park passes I got a locking park pass like motorcycles use, I lock pass to grab handle and display in window.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
Diabolical Slipstream for the back and Lock'er Down console safe for the front, and that's about as much security as you can get...

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Take it from an old LEO, these days a crooks will break into any car out there if he sees something he wants. The Jeep is no different in that aspect. The best thing is to keep everything of value of of sight, i.e. covered. I've owned convertibles for years (oddly my Jeep isn't one of them), and luckily I've never had a problem (knockwood). Also, if you have items of value in your vehicle be aware of where you park. If possible park under some lighting, and near the front door of a business. Using common sense trumps anything else you can do.

BTW, I have seen a retractable cargo cover for the rear of the 4 door Jeep Wrangler while looking at mods for mine. I can't remember where though. That would help you also.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Not an issue with hard top. That’s your answer.

OP
OP

Pilotjeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I appreciate all the answers. I currently have a wagon so I'm familiar with the security concerns that come with that, as far as visibility of goods and general breakin-ablility of any vehicle. Common sense procedures cover those concerns, as a few of you have pointed out. I was wondering specifically whether a Jeep with hardtops is easier and more convenient to casually break into than a standard non-convertible vehicle, and from a few of the answers, it seems that they would be the same. So, in other words I had concerns that maybe you could walk by and quickly pop a top off or something. If that's not possible, I would think it is the same as owning a wagon.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
As far as those hard tops go, they offer a headliner option of some sort. Is it a matter of the base being a hard metal or plastic unit on the underside, and the headliner option makes it like a regular car?
Pete, the primary area where headliners "cut their teeth" is as in hard top heat abatement. Were you in Texas I'm be suggesting them.

They also do some quieting, but not much. I wouldn't recommend them unless the styling is important to you, and even then, I think Hot Heads makes a better product that FCA.

That said, get them from FCA and their on the insurance: something to consider.

Thanks, I appreciate all the answers. I currently have a wagon so I'm familiar with the security concerns that come with that, as far as visibility of goods and general breakin-ablility of any vehicle. Common sense procedures cover those concerns, as a few of you have pointed out. I was wondering specifically whether a Jeep with hardtops is easier and more convenient to casually break into than a standard non-convertible vehicle, and from a few of the answers, it seems that they would be the same.

It is.

So, in other words I had concerns that maybe you could walk by and quickly pop a top off or something. If that's not possible, I would think it is the same as owning a wagon.
A chain, including one for security, is only as strong as its weakest link. To take the top off you have to get into the vehcile, i.e. break in presuming the doors are locked. All vehciles sold in the States have side windows that a Fireman's Punch (for extracation) can shatter.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a musician too, so I bought the hardtop specifically for gear protection. With the tinted windows and black interior, and my drums in black bags, you can't really see anything in there to begin with, never mind knowing what it is.

empty pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I actually have the JT Gladiator, hardtop and Sunrider for Hardtop to replace the freedom panels. I feel the hardtop is as secure as any truck. But the best bet, as many have said, is keep things outta sight. I installed a tri-fold hard aluminum tonneau on the back and transport rifle cases, high end guitars, other valuables with confidence. Never a problem. Out of sight- out of mind.
Sponsored