Sponsored

Putco Blade LED Tailgate Light

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Really not a fan of external stick-on doo-dads, but this is actually pretty slick and looks useful.​
Think I'd like it a lot better if there was an interior option to mount it inside, either at the very bottom or maybe the top of the rear window (at least for hardtops, since that wouldn't work very well with a soft top).​

OP
OP
jthoms1

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Really not a fan of external stick-on doo-dads, but this is actually pretty slick and looks useful.​
Think I'd like it a lot better if there was an interior option to mount it inside, either at the very bottom or maybe the top of the rear window (at least for hardtops, since that wouldn't work very well with a soft top).​
I’m typically of the same mind as you.

Reactions: AFD

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I like the way they used available tow connectors to integrate the wiring for them to reduce or eliminate any need cutting/coupling. Downside seems that you have to have the tow package for them to work at all?

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I want to hate this... but this may be just what I need for brighter reverse lights. All the other features are just icing on the cake.

I was planning on going with the ORACLE Lighting Rear Bumper LED Reverse Lights... but that requires the removal of the whole bumper to install. This looks tons easier.

Damn you for posting this! Now I'm even more conflicted. ;)

I hope someone chimes in with an enthusitic reason to buy it, or not.

Sponsored

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Definitely interested in these for the reverse light feature. I don't have the tow package but I would imagine it can be installed by tapping into the taillights, right?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I want to hate this... but this may be just what I need for brighter reverse lights. All the other features are just icing on the cake.

I was planning on going with the ORACLE Lighting Rear Bumper LED Reverse Lights... but that requires the removal of the whole bumper to install. This looks tons easier.

Not designed for use on Sahara or Rubicon Models - from Putco product description
Putco advises that it's not compatible with the Rubicon or Sahara because the space between the rear bumper and tailgate is slightly smaller than the sport bumper. It will technically fit. - from Quadratec (product Youtube video)
This light bar will not fit Jeep JLU Rubicon. The light bar using the provided removal clips will result with the lower portion of the light bar to be hidden by the bumper. The light bar provides 3 different modes of lighting: RED-braking, YELLOW-directional, and WHITE-reverse. The WHITE LED lights are the ones affected by the installation issue. I would not recommend this light bar for a 2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon. - from user review (at Quadratec)
Didn't realize the JL Sahara and Rubicon's rear bumper height was different than the other trims (thought they were maybe talking about the MOPAR steel bumper, but that's never been a factory option for the Sahara). So it sounds like this would be pretty worthless if purchasing for the brighter reverse lights on either of those 2 trims. Bummer.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Didn't realize the JL Sahara and Rubicon's rear bumper height was different than the other trims (thought they were maybe talking about the MOPAR steel bumper, but that's never been a factory option for the Sahara). So it sounds like this would be pretty worthless if purchasing for the brighter reverse lights on either of those 2 trims. Bummer.
Thanks @AFD... welp, looks like I'm back to these as my best option.

Reactions: AFD

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd

Ha! My thoughts EXACTLY!
I'd probably disable the running light circuit. The backup, and braking function would interest me.

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
I watched the video thinking "yep, I'm buying this" u til I saw that I need the towing harness to hook it up :(

Sponsored

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon; 2021 JLU Sahara
I like this idea, but have a JLUR, so a no go; maybe they'll come out with a Rubicon/steel bumper version? I also would like something a bit more robust for attachment rather than relying on 3M tape alone; I've been let down too many times by that stuff.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @AFD... welp, looks like I'm back to these as my best option.
I have been waffling on these as well. I'm fine with removing the bumper for installation. It just seems like so many people have issues with moisture getting into the casing.

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
I have been waffling on these as well. I'm fine with removing the bumper for installation. It just seems like so many people have issues with moisture getting into the casing.
Thanks.

Interesting... I just found that thread on the issue. I do have a plastic rear bumper, so fitment should be less of an issue than it is for the steel bumper... but the water/moisture is concerning. I wonder if they corrected that. I see Oracle warrantied the product, but the hassle of removing the bumper for each warranty replacement is unappealing.
Sponsored