Purchasing New Tires!

AllDayBoogie

First Name
Boogie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Afternoon everyone! So I am a newbie in this world so please bear with me. Here is my dilemma:

I finally have to change the tires on my 2012 Jeep Wrangler. So I'm searching online (subjected to what my credit card company will allow me to purchase from) and I come across these (3) tires attached here. There is a little backstory behind the Nitto Trailgrappler. Those are what I REALLY want. But as you can see, the store says that the tires "don't fit my vehicle". So my first question is - (1) WHY IS THAT? AM I READING THIS WRONG? I saw someone with my exact truck have them on. And in all transparency, it looked like my truck but it could have been a year or two, perhaps even three older. Not sure. My second question is (2) now that you get a visual feel for what I'm going for, are these my best choices? I'm going for that classic, strong, and aggressive look. And my third and last question is, (3) can I go an inch or two up (19" or 20" tire) without making any changes to accommodate the new size? If that makes sense. Thank you all in advance for your support and recommendations. I just want to be cool like the rest of you guys.

Have a good day to all and be well.

Regards,
Boogie

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.25.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.25.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.25.14 PM.png
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
First thing I notice is that your Jeep came with 18" . That's the WHEEL size. The Nittos are 17". To use them, you'd have to replace your wheels...probably some other stuff as well. See if you can find the Nittos in 255/70 R18

Newdeal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
First thing I notice is that your Jeep came with 18" . That's the WHEEL size. The Nittos are 17". To use them, you'd have to replace your wheels...probably some other stuff as well. See if you can find the Nittos in 255/70 R18
I have a Sahara and was thinking of switching to 17” wheels/tires. What “other stuff” could I have to replace? Just trying to get an idea of total cost. Thanks.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
20" rims will mean your tire side wall height is shorter hence a stiffer ride. Going the other way to a 17" will mean the side wall is taller giving a little softer ride when staying with the same diameter for either rim size.

Sponsored

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
The Duratrac or KO2 are excellent tires. Both are All-Terrains.

I wouldn’t go with the mud terrain. Handling, braking, steering and mileage will suffer some. Not as comfortable a tire for daily driver either. Nitto does make an All-Terrain though. Look at the Ridge Grappler or Terra Grappler.

Some also mentioned the Falken Wildpeak AT3 All-Terrain. Excellent tire.

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Duratrac is like an AT/MT mix. This tire is very dependable on and off the road.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
i went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W and I'm happy after 3 months. i got mine from Walmart check and see if they got them in your size they can be anywhere from $20-$50 less per tire then discount tire sometimes. and then just take them to a tire shop and have them mounted to whatever wheels you get. or if you are feeling lucky have walmart mount them.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if troll, but if not then OP is super naive about tires in general, buying/selling Jeep parts, and even what Jeep they have.
Judging from the original post, most of the replies on here may not be understood.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
It says they don't fit your vehicle because they are not the stock size. Mine came with 245/75r17 and if you look for anything else it will say it doesn't fit. I would suggest not putting your vehicle in when searching - you should just know the size that you wan't. Your stock wheel is an 18" 7.5 width. You can look at charts like this one that tell you wheel size for a given rim size. Looks like from here you can anywhere from 205/40r18 to 245/50r18. I am sure other sizes will work, but I don't have much info on that.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
The Duratrac or KO2 are excellent tires. Both are All-Terrains.

I wouldn’t go with the mud terrain. Handling, braking, steering and mileage will suffer some. Not as comfortable a tire for daily driver either. Nitto does make an All-Terrain though. Look at the Ridge Grappler or Terra Grappler.

Some also mentioned the Falken Wildpeak AT3 All-Terrain. Excellent tire.
When my 19 JLUR had 30 miles on the clock I went to Disc. Tire and had KM3's put on I don't regret it maybe a little louder but not much. Things I like about them (1) the aggressive look (2) they don't pick up all the little stones and chip the paint (3) with only 900 miles I average 17.7 and up running 34psi with all city driving !
Sponsored