Sponsored

Pulling a 16' Ultralite Camper

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
Given the Jeep's towing capacity is 3500 lbs, I'm looking at getting one of these small trailers:

http://www.haylettautoandrv.com/rv/...iler/12442/forest+river+rockwood+geo+pro+16bh

This one seems pretty perfect for our situation, given the wife, myself, and the kids will each have a place to sleep, and it's got a toilet for the ladies.

I've got two very small kids and a wife, and we'd like to do some overnight camping adventures in the local national forest. In the state where I live, it's relatively flat all over, so no mountain driving or anything like that. The steepest grades that we see around here are 6-10 degrees.

My concern is that it'll be too much for the Jeep to pull safely. If I do get one, I know trailer brakes are a must and I've got the factory tow package so installation of a brake controller is easy there (I've researched it). Would there be any other obvious concerns? Would you pair a weight distribution hitch with this or just tow it as is? Or is it too much to tow?

I've been trying to do research and there isn't much in the way of these Geo Pro ultralights, as they've just come out in the past few years. I've seen posts where people are towing much larger things with 4 door Wranglers, but I want to be safe. Opinions/advice?
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Can you tow it, yes. Safely, maybe? I would not do it, since the dry weight alone is near the limit of Wrangler, that plus all the furniture, appliances, luggage, and people will easily get to 4000~4500 lbs.

Personally, the only RV-ish thing Wrangler can tow is probably those 1600 lbs egg shells.

richaudet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep JLUR MOJITO!
You'll probably find a lot of responses like the one above, which is par for the course here in terms of advice. This Wrangler is wider and longer than than the JKU. It has a V6 that they put into the Ram 1500s. The 3500 tow limit is BS in my opinion - especially given the tow limits of the XJs and GCs with similar/smaller wheelbases and brakes. The leaked tow limits of the Jeep Wrangler Pickup truck is more than double. I know the 7800 lbs was with the diesel equipped but the limiting factor here is usually braking ability.

I'm not sure why Jeep continues to put the 3500 limit on these Wranglers - they are nearly the size of the mid-size pickups at this point. It may just be the compliant suspension that makes the number what it is.

Regardless of the Jeep's ability, your insurance carrier is likely to expect you to be within the manufacturer's tow specs if they are going to cover you in the event of an accident. Remember towing is more than just tow limit, it is also payload. If you overload the vehicle, you may be taking on undue risk and have insurance exposure in the event of an accident.

These are just my opinions, you'll have to do what is best for you.

OP
OP
i64X

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
I share the opinion that the rating is pretty damn low. Given the engine, trans, transfer case, axles etc. on the Rubicon along with the wheelbase, which is within inches of a Tacoma (which pulls a lot more), I honestly don't get it. The point about the insurance is a good one though, and I don't want to screw myself.

I would like all of the sleeping space to be inside, but I also found this one - which is much lighter, can be equipped with a roof top tent (already has the roof rack to mount it on), PLUS I can put my quad in it. Down-side is that it doesn't have a bathroom, but if we're in the forest I can use the quad to run someone to the bathroom in an emergency if they don't want to woods it. haha

https://terrytownrv.com/no-boundaries-rv/no-boundaries-10-6/l-33356/

I think with the savings in weight, which puts me well in to "safe" territory, plus the fact that it doubles as transportation and storage for the quad, and double as an enclosed trailer for other things, this one might be the silver bullet. :like:

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Here are the three key numbers driving your decision. I found these on another website. I didn't see these on your link.

Hitch Weight 420 lbs
Gross Weight 3920 lbs
Dry Weight 2993 lbs

Typically you'd like to keep your fully loaded weight about 10% below the vehicles rated tow capacity. In this case that is 3150 #s. That doesn't leave you a lot of room for gear or water. Fully loaded you should not exceed the 3920 # limit as your trailer axles won't like it. If you did pack to the limit, you'd be 420 #s over the rating of the JLU. Dry weight, no issue, but you will probably be running most often with some onboard water and lots of gear in both the camper and the Jeep. Tongue weight at full load is also an issue.

My camper weighs 3990 dry, around 4500 loaded. I have pulled it successfully several times with my JKU. I was far more worried about the transmission than anything else.

But I also use a WDH. My tongue weight is usually about 525 #. The standard bumper on a JKU or JLU is not designed to withstand that kind of weight. I believe 350 #s is the limit. Rear bumpers on both platforms bolt to the rear crossbar, not the frame (the JLU bumper does appear to have a little more frame support). On my JKU I have a MORE rear bumper that mounts directly to the frame. This is far stronger than the factory bumper so I am not at all concerned about ripping the bumper off. But when I drop that 525 # tongue on the hitch the suspension nearly bottoms out and the front end pops way up. The WHD levels it back out.

Little known is the fact that these same vehicles have a tow rating of nearly 5000#'s in Europe/UK. The Jeep will pull it just fine. But you really need that WDH, and I'd have a chat with my insurance agent if you are really concerned. If he says no, don't do it. We camp a lot, and I typically tow with our JGC Diesel. I'm very comfortable towing, and only use it with the Wrangler when it's just me. I've a JLUR on order now. When it arrives, the aftermarket rear bumper will be one of the first mods.

Another interesting point: Tow ratings are calculated around vehicle weight, engine, transmission, axle to axle distance and suspension (and probably a few other things). A 4WD JGC with a 3.6 Pentastar and the same basic 8 speed as the JLU has a tow rating of 7200 #'s. The axle spacing is actually shorter, but the suspension is designed for towing and the whole vehicle has a lower center of gravity. As I understand it, when the diesel JLU comes out, it will also be capped at 3500#'s. Weird.

Really want to get down in the weeds on details? There is a lot of data on line. Here is a good place to start:

https://axleaddict.com/rvs/How-to-calculate-your-vehicles-Towing-Capability

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Not sure if my conversion is correct or if I'm comparing apples to oranges, but according to the UK Jeep site, a JL Wrangler can tow 5,500lbs (search Google for convert kg to lbs and enter 2,495kg and got 5,500lbs). If this is accurate, why can it tow more than the U.S. version?

https://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler-jl/capability

Can someone double-check this info to see if my math is right?

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Not sure if my conversion is correct or if I'm comparing apples to oranges, but according to the UK Jeep site, a JL Wrangler can tow 5,500lbs (search Google for convert kg to lbs and enter 2,495kg and got 5,500lbs). If this is accurate, why can it tow more than the U.S. version?

https://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler-jl/capability

Can someone double-check this info to see if my math is right?
Your conversion is correct, UK and Australia also have set speed limits for towing a trailer that re significantly lower than driving without towing

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
We've discussed many times how the Wrangler gets a super low tow rating because of how the hitch mounts and the convertible top. The Wrangler is one vehicle I would not overload, and that's coming from somebody who has towed everything imaginable with every vehicle imaginable.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
[QUOTE="richaudet, post: 457693, member: 23707]

I'm not sure why Jeep continues to put the 3500 limit on these Wranglers - they are nearly the size of the mid-size pickups at this point. It may just be the compliant suspension that makes the number what it is.

These are just my opinions, you'll have to do what is best for you.[/QUOTE]
I’m convinced the issue is the suspension. I recently towed a boat for a friend. The whole thing was around 3200#. Acceleration and stopping were no issues but every time I went faster than 55 mph any minor wave on the road would make the wrangler start nodding. It was uncomfortable. On the way back we hooked it to my wife’s Sequoia, as the tongue got weight the air suspension adjusted and you couldn’t tell it was back there.
You can see on my avatar the trailer I carry around all over the place. That’s way below 3000#. But if the Jeep is loaded I would feel better with some airbags.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It also has a lot to do with the extremely soft suspension.
Except the suspension is not extremely soft and in fact is stiffer than any other vehicle in its class.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
Regardless of the Jeep's ability, your insurance carrier is likely to expect you to be within the manufacturer's tow specs if they are going to cover you in the event of an accident. Remember towing is more than just tow limit, it is also payload. If you overload the vehicle, you may be taking on undue risk and have insurance exposure in the event of an accident.
I see this "insurance concern" all of the time but it simply isn't true that your insurance will not cover you in the event of an accident if you are overloaded. I know a guy who has had two separate accidents while driving under the influence and his insurance covered both of them. He was dropped and now his insurance rates will be sky high, when he gets his license back of course. I will also add that this idiot is NOT a friend just a guy I know. I am certain that the Jeep can safely tow more than 3500 lbs. and I also know that insurance will cover any accident that you are involved in.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I’m convinced the issue is the suspension. I recently towed a boat for a friend. The whole thing was around 3200#. Acceleration and stopping were no issues but every time I went faster than 55 mph any minor wave on the road would make the wrangler start nodding. It was uncomfortable. On the way back we hooked it to my wife’s Sequoia, as the tongue got weight the air suspension adjusted and you couldn’t tell it was back there.
You can see on my avatar the trailer I carry around all over the place. That’s way below 3000#. But if the Jeep is loaded I would feel better with some airbags.
The "nodding" or "porpoising" has more to do with the weight distribution and hitch weight than the capacity of the vehicle. When I towed my signature Grand Wagoneer with my F350 if the weight distribution was wrong (too much in back) even the 8,000 pound diesel would porpoise. With a quick shift of the weight distributing hitch it came right back in line. The Sequoia deals with some of that with adjustable suspension, allowing more weight on the hitch.

If there was too much weight in the back of the boat it could easily cause that problem, not necessarily the capacity of the Jeep.

Personally I'll keep most of my towing to a bigger truck, but I wouldn't be afraid of coming close to the rated capacity on the Jeep as long as you load correctly and are not trying to race anywhere.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I am certain that the Jeep can safely tow more than 3500 lbs. and I also know that insurance will cover any accident that you are involved in.
No on the first part of your statement. That limit isn't just for shits and giggles. Wrt to insurance, it depends on the terms and conditions of your policy as well as the max coverage limits. Beyond that, it's all on you - citations, property damage and the people you injure or kill.
Sponsored