Sponsored

Easy door detent pulling.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
So I was just happily wiring some radios into the jeep, and had all the doors and tailgate open as I was going in and out.

Unfortunately, today was the one day of the year that my father decided to do yardwork, and he came out off the garage blowing an enormous green, gritty, cloud of pollen and dust before him, into me, and directly into the back of the jeep.

Much swearing and running around slamming doors shut, but I forgot that I had the passenger-side door unhooked to open wider. I slammed the detent back inside the door with crunchy crunch noises.

Since I've never remembered to share it before, here's how I normally pull them back out. No wacky tools, no aggravation, just any bit of cordage you have laying about:

Take a cord and put it through the detent bolt-hole, then tie a loop at the end:
Jeep Wrangler JL Easy door detent pulling. 20210514_125855

Jeep Wrangler JL Easy door detent pulling. 20210514_125935

Put the loop over the hook that the door check attaches to, then loop the free end around it as well:
Jeep Wrangler JL Easy door detent pulling. 20210514_130000

Close the door upon yourself as much as possible, pulling in the slack on the cord, then loop the free end once or twice more around the hook:
Jeep Wrangler JL Easy door detent pulling. 20210514_130036

Push the door all the way open while holding fast onto the free end of the cord, and the detent will kachunk back out as you do it:
Jeep Wrangler JL Easy door detent pulling. 20210514_130100

If it doesn't pop all the way out the first time, close the door, pull in the slack, and do it again.

Super easy.

I hope this saves someone the money, anger, or effort that I see spent on weird tools, locking pliers, and zero leverage. In the meantime, two of my neighbors just started mowing and blowing their lawns, so I guess I'm not meant to be out here right now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Great life hack right here. I love this!

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Great life hack right here. I love this!
Thanks. I had noticed that a lot of people have trouble with the thing, but never got around to taking photos of the way I do it.

Hope it encourages folks to take their doors off more, or to play around more with the jeep in general.

Love my jeep, but some people need to remind themselves that it is a tool, not a shrine.