Pulling a 16' Ultralite Camper

richaudet

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep JLUR MOJITO!
No on the first part of your statement. That limit isn't just for shits and giggles. Wrt to insurance, it depends on the terms and conditions of your policy as well as the max coverage limits. Beyond that, it's all on you - citations, property damage and the people you injure or kill.
Disagree entirely. My wife's 16 Cherokee with the 3.2 is rated for 4500lbs. The wheel base is shorter, the brakes are smaller, it has less horsepower, and torque. Why is the bigger, beefier Wrangler being limited beyond the fact that the hitch is not bolted to the frame or a class III+?
Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Disagree entirely. My wife's 16 Cherokee with the 3.2 is rated for 4500lbs. The wheel base is shorter, the brakes are smaller, it has less horsepower, and torque. Why is the bigger, beefier Wrangler being limited beyond the fact that the hitch is not bolted to the frame or a class III+?
To add, why does the UK version of the JL rated to tow 2,495kg (5,550lbs)? Yes, they are supposed to drive slower in the UK if towing something, but a JL in the US can drive slow while towing as well. You don't have to drive 65mph while towing. I'm super curious for that "well that makes sense" moment, but haven't seen it yet regarding US vs UK JL towing differences.

https://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler-jl/capability

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The "nodding" or "porpoising" has more to do with the weight distribution and hitch weight than the capacity of the vehicle. When I towed my signature Grand Wagoneer with my F350 if the weight distribution was wrong (too much in back) even the 8,000 pound diesel would porpoise. With a quick shift of the weight distributing hitch it came right back in line. The Sequoia deals with some of that with adjustable suspension, allowing more weight on the hitch.

If there was too much weight in the back of the boat it could easily cause that problem, not necessarily the capacity of the Jeep.

Personally I'll keep most of my towing to a bigger truck, but I wouldn't be afraid of coming close to the rated capacity on the Jeep as long as you load correctly and are not trying to race anywhere.
I basically agree with all you say. But let me add that I believe in the 10% of the total load to go to the hitch. It has always worked for me. That then limits the wrangler to 350# to the hitch. I know the basics of how a weight distribution hitch works, but I don’t know how that affects that 10% rule. I’ll appreciate some light over that issue. Always eager to learn.
Thanks.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To add, why does the UK version of the JL rated to tow 2,495kg (5,550lbs)? Yes, they are supposed to drive slower in the UK if towing something, but a JL in the US can drive slow while towing as well. You don't have to drive 65mph while towing. I'm super curious for that "well that makes sense" moment, but haven't seen it yet regarding US vs UK JL towing differences.

Very interesting. Easy to test the suspension at least. Get a hitch rack, loaded to 555# (10% of the total load supposed to go the hitch). Get a some stuff from n the cargo area like you normally would have on a camping trip, plus passengers and my guess is that my Rubicon headlights will be pointed to the sky. :giggle: In all seriousness I am going to try that just for giggles. I know the brakes and the power train are not the issue.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found it: from e-trailer.
Weight distribution works to distribute the tongue weight of a trailer up to the front axle of the tow vehicle so that it will sit more level and handle/brake better. That being said the systems do not "reduce" tongue weight or allow you to tow beyond the capacities of the vehicle.
Does Weight Distribution Lower Tongue Weight on Hitch of Tow ...

Sponsored

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
"headlights will be pointed to the sky." Yep, as I noted above my 2008 Rubi JKU does the same thing. WDH pulls it back up, but does not remove the weight from the bumper. 350# is the US rated bumper weight (I believe, did not confirm). Yes the rear springs are stiff, but not designed for excessive weight. Too much tongue weight and the back end sinks like a lead weight. WDH, a bumper mated to the frame and air bags inside the rear springs will make things much safer. None of that changes the actual factory rating, unfortunately.

IMO a JLU will easily pull 5000# but you need to add some towing related upgrades. It comes down to personal preference and personal risk aversion.

I wonder if lifting a Jeep affects towing? A higher center of gravity may not be a good thing.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It also comes down to available payload - most people forget about payload and load up there jeep while pulling an over weight trailer - if you have a Rubicon your payload is 1235lbs - meaning the weight of all your passengers and gear in the Jeep with a full tank of gas shouldn’t exceed this. If you are pulling a trailer with excess pin weight this also counts against your payload. A WD hitch may help keep your front wheels on the ground but doesn’t increase any of the towing or payload capabilities of the Jeep.

All personal preference but if I was looking at buying a trailer I would find the trailer I want and match it up with the right tow vehicle.

Debating why a GC or other Jeep models have different capabilities shouldn’t justify a decision to pull with a wrangler.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wonder if lifting a Jeep affects towing? A higher center of gravity may not be a good thing.
It definitely does just like lifting a truck - the rear end tends to sag under much less of a load unless you lift with HD components for towing.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

Read up!
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-...JurPH6IZQABF5v-KILa60LneH1a-K3Vx9s0KJMRZyxEkC

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
No on the first part of your statement. That limit isn't just for shits and giggles. Wrt to insurance, it depends on the terms and conditions of your policy as well as the max coverage limits. Beyond that, it's all on you - citations, property damage and the people you injure or kill.
The purpose of insurance is to transfer risk when you are negligent in an accident. You are responsible for anything above your coverage limits no matter the circumstances. If exceeding a “limit” put in place in the concern of safety could give an insurance company the right to decline payout in an accident then anyone going 71 in a 70 zone who is at fault in an accident would be refused. When you run a red light or stop sign and cause an accident does your insurance pay even though you broke the law in your actions? I’ll answer for you and say that they do.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Some aftermarket bumpers have hitches built in, this seems like a good way to increase the strength of the factory hitch. Also a good reason to get new steel bumpers....

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The purpose of insurance is to transfer risk when you are negligent in an accident. You are responsible for anything above your coverage limits no matter the circumstances. If exceeding a “limit” put in place in the concern of safety could give an insurance company the right to decline payout in an accident then anyone going 71 in a 70 zone who is at fault in an accident would be refused. When you run a red light or stop sign and cause an accident does your insurance pay even though you broke the law in your actions? I’ll answer for you and say that they do.
Yeah, my brother in law is an attorney who specializes in insurance. He basically told me the same thing. All these same "what if" horror storys pop up on every truck)SUV/towing forum on the internet. They all end the same way. With some people shouting the sky is falling and then no proof, no real stories, and then denial of honest fist hand legal opinions from truely qualified individuals like my bro in law.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Some aftermarket bumpers have hitches built in, this seems like a good way to increase the strength of the factory hitch. Also a good reason to get new steel bumpers....
I put an LOD steel bumper with built in hitch and tire carrier on my old CJ7. That thing was STOUT

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
A little off topic, but the new Jeep Gladiator has over twice the towing capability as the wrangler. You would think they would be a little closer being pretty similar.
Sponsored