Sponsored

Pulled over by State Trooper! LEDs too bright?

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
July 4th. Went for a quick drive. Saw a VA State Trooper make a u-turn, didn't think too much of it. Not speeding. Immediately pulls behind me and flashes the lights. I pull over. He says I didn't do anything wrong, but tells me that I have illegal lights. I thought he was talking about my light bar and pod lights. Did I have them on? Nope. He asked if my headlights and fender lights were aftermarket or special addition. I said they were stock. He was surprised at how bright they were, he said that it made him turn his head away when we were passing. That was why he turned around. I told him this would be good for the forum and we laughed, he apologized for the inconvenience. Told him, no problem and be safe.

I guess these lights are that bright! Thought I'd share.
Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
July 4th. Went for a quick drive. Saw a VA State Trooper make a u-turn, didn't think too much of it. Not speeding. Immediately pulls behind me and flashes the lights. I pull over. He says I didn't do anything wrong, but tells me that I have illegal lights. I thought he was talking about my light bar and pod lights. Did I have them on? Nope. He asked if my headlights and fender lights were aftermarket or special addition. I said they were stock. He was surprised at how bright they were, he said that it made him turn his head away when we were passing. That was why he turned around. I told him this would be good for the forum and we laughed, he apologized for the inconvenience. Told him, no problem and be safe.

Out of curiosity, did he have sunglasses on? If so...my question would be....exaggerate much? ;):giggle:

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS

Well, nobody could ever say that a trooper pulled them over for bright stock lights in a JK.... LOL

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer

Do you have any suspension mods that would perhaps make them project at a higher angle? Big tires?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Well, nobody could ever say that a trooper pulled them over for bright stock lights in a JK.... LOL
Kid you not- got pulled over in my JK for them being too dim. He thought I was having issues. . .

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392

Did you adjust the aim down? Mine were aimed too high. As for pure brightness, based on pure visual observation, they are definitely bright, but my Audi's LEDs seem brighter. A 2018 E class I was in seemed to have LED headlights brighter than our Wranglers' as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
Out of curiosity, did he have sunglasses on? If so...my question would be....exaggerate much? ;):giggle:
Yes, he had shades on when he got out, not sure if he had them on in the car.

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have any suspension mods that would perhaps make them project at a higher angle? Big tires?
Nope, still have stock wheels and tires.

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you adjust the aim down? Mine were aimed too high. As for pure brightness, based on pure visual observation, they are definitely bright, but my Audi's LEDs seem brighter. A 2018 E class I was in seemed to have LED headlights brighter than our Wranglers' as well.
No, never touched them.

OP
OP
HiJinx69

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I had my '08 JKUR for over eight years and I would have been overjoyed if a cop had ever stopped me for too bright headlites-

Whatever

JIMBO
Sponsored