Sponsored

Pull the trigger on a JL Wrangler or avoid them?

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
I've owned 6 Wranglers and now a Gladiator. I've never had serious issues with any of them (knocks on wood).

No one goes around posting they drove 40 miles round trip to work and back and had no issues, even though it happens thousands of times each day across the country.
Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Jeeps are designed to be off road vehicles. They won't drive the same as a Lexus or an Audi. This is by design. Perhaps you could rent one for a few days and see how you like it.

Most of us on the forum like being out in nature. We like to go places that a regular street car can't take us. Jeeps are ideal for those kinds of people.

The vehicles come with a warranty. If you have issues, they will be fixed for free. Most people don't have major issues with their Jeep. The ones who have issues come here for help. You will see posts from them.

BTW, the Sport is a basic model. No power windows or locks. Take a look at the Sport S or the Willy's models.

Most of all, Jeeps are fun vehicles. Get that special person or some friends and family. Find a trail and take a long drive. It is one of the best ways to spend a day.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
As has already been said, go rent one for the weekend and see for yourself.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
I have a couple tjs, which are lifted and on 35’s and they’re a blast off-road and terrible on the road.
My JLU drives great on road, and off!
New Jeeps are great and have all the creature comforts available if you want. But there is a chance you get a problem Jeep. My first JLU was great for the first 7000 miles and then electrical gremlins took over and I traded/dumped it at 12000 miles for my current JLU. This one has 8000 miles of fun and drives great on and off road. So it is kind of the “luck of the draw” when you buy any new vehicle nowadays with all the technology and computers and such.
Good luck with your decision 🤙🏽

Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
If you’re looking at a 21-22 model year, the steering issues that some described were already resolved for these years with the newer steering box. We just got the steering box tsb done on our 2019 and it made a huge difference for how it tracked down the road.

Jeeps aren’t for everyone but those they love them, really love them lol. A great community and a great all around vehicle. It’s our first wrangler as well and besides a couple minor issues, we definitely love having it. First weekend we had it we took up the mountains for hours just for fun.

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest Renting a Jeep Wrangler JL via Enterprise or any of the rental car companies. That's what I did before buying my JLU Rubicon
I went from a Honda to my first Jeep and absolutely love my Rubi, but I've had it 6 days so far
Remember this
When someone has a bad experience, they tell 8 out of 10 people
When someone has a great experience, they usually dont say anything
It's a no lose situation, buy it and don't like it, then resale is incredible
You will not lose money buying a Jeep

EugenesAJeep

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I been debating on a purchasing a JL 2 door Wrangler Sport. I love how they look and like many, always wanted to own one. I get on these forums and read all the issues people have after not even 6 months of owning them and horror stories about how they ride on the highway. I'm 52 years old and my mom owned a 1988 Wrangler back in the early 90s and loved it. Is it like other vehicles and just luck of the draw for quality issues or is it really that bad on trips to the dealer for service? Also on the ride, I thought the JL was fine on the highway then see people talking about service bulletins and ripping the way their JL drives over 45mph. What's your experience and opinion on this? I'm at a loss on if I should pull the trigger and just get one or will I regret it and have issue after issue. Thanks.
You will deeply regret it for the remainder of your life if you don’t pull the trigger. I love my 2 door. Now I can get to the places that I couldn’t in the past.
Jeep Wrangler JL Pull the trigger on a JL Wrangler or avoid them? 22E0988E-90F3-4B40-844F-92602982F7BC

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Good point!
The first 2-3 years of the JL had some issues. Probably the steering is the most infamous. Those earlier models (mine is a 2018) out there may still have a steering issue. If you're looking at those model years, take a test drive on the hwy at least to 65mph for a handful of miles with lane changes, bumps and other irregularities in the road at that speed. As for the ride, it's a jeep. Nobody that knows the history of Jeeps would expect any better ride than it has. I'll say that the ride in my 4dr Rubicon on bumpy 2 track roads and rocky trails is better than any other Jeep I've ridden in. Expect the sun visor to break and fall down hanging.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I truly enjoy my Jeep. It was in need of some attention in the beginning, but it wasn't enough to keep my away from having a great experience in the big picture.

I would still buy another one soon if my wife wanted one for herself, but she doesn't want one as a daily driver.

This forum is a Hotspot for problems and complaints, so I don't think it's a good benchmark for the majority of Jeeps out there.

To be accurate, my biggest and most legitimate gripe is the poor service I've received at the Jeep dealerships. A score of poor would be generous in some of my interactions with them.

Just go buy your Jeep and join us!

Last edited:

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Buy it and enjoy it! If you decide you don't like it you won't loose money in todays market.

I'm about 10 years older than you. I've been in to Jeeps since the early 80's and owned numerous other pick ups and SUVs. Currently I have a 2019 3.6 JLUS and 2021 2.0 JLUR in the garage. The JL is by far the most fun to own and drive. I've done mild off road and 1000+ mile road trips. I haven't owned a vehicle that was as versatile. It can't tow as much as a pick up or carry as much cargo as a Suburban, but those vehicles can't take the top and doors off or get to some of the places a Jeep can. I daily drive the JLUR and wife has the JLUS. She liked hers at first but now there's no way she would give it up. I'm looking for an excuse to go somewhere when it snows. We drive back roads, interstate and city regularly. Both Jeeps handle good and routinely see 80 mph.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Welp...it's a JL Wrangler Forum...and Imma throw my hat in the ring and say that once you buy it you'll never be satisfied, wonder what's next, and take serious steps to get away from it all.

1) Never be satisfied...with a base model or any model without researching and gluing your eyes to this forum whilst dreaming of upgrades.

2) Wonder what's next....to put on your vehicle. Because it's so awesome. Just wait. You'll see.

3) Take serious steps to get away from it all...to go camping, hiking, climbing, road-trip, excuses to go run errands (seriously, never thought I'd do that...do it all the time), etc.

Buy it and call it your "therapy"...enjoy your good decision.