Pull the negative?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I will be gone for 6 weeks on an international trip. No option for using a battery tender (live in a highrise and no power in my parking space to plug in… the one time I do miss a single family garage). Is the best bet to just pull the negative? Thoughts?

vehicle: 2019 JLU 3.6L.
Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Leave it and charge it before you run it the first time. Warm in Denver so you’ll be fine. I guess if you can park close enough to an outlet to charge it when you get back….

Otherwise leave it connected, pull the battery when you get back, take it in where you can charge it and re-install after fully charged

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Leave it and charge it before you run it the first time. Warm in Denver so you’ll be fine. I guess if you can park close enough to an outlet to charge it when you get back….

Otherwise leave it connected, pull the battery when you get back, take it in where you can charge it and re-install after fully charged
There is zero opportunity to charge this battery, in the jeep, using any external charger before I leave. So you suggest leaving it alone before I leave and then pulling the entire battery out of the vehicle when I return and charging inside my highrise unit …. then reinstalling in the jeep Once charged?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Dkretden

Even your owner's manual recommends 12v power disconnect for much less of a time frame..

So, yes, do a total 12v power kill if there is no way to have a battery tender maintainer attached while the vehicle sits there unused for such a time frame.

Here is how to do the total 12v power kill..
Jeep Wrangler JL Pull the negative? Jeep power disconnect

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Dkretden

Your owner's manual recommends disconnect for much less time frame..

So, yes, do a total 12v power kill if there is no way to have a battery tender maintainer attached while the vehicle sits there unused for such a time frame.

Here is how to do the total 12v power kill..

Jeep Wrangler JL Pull the negative? Jeep power disconnect
Awesome!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Dkretden

Do not disconnect any cables on the positive side of the battery. See the diagram I provided..

DO, upon return, hook the JL up to a battery tender/maintainer and let it charge the batteries until the tender/maintainer indicates batteries are charged.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
There is zero opportunity to charge this battery, in the jeep, using any external charger before I leave. So you suggest leaving it alone before I leave and then pulling the entire battery out of the vehicle when I return and charging inside my highrise unit …. then reinstalling in the jeep Once charged?
Yes I would pull it when you get back and charge it. I would be skeptical of leaving it full power off for 6 weeks. Not sure what components hold setting in memory or store setting on firmware. But let us know what you do. I can tell you I often don’t drive the Jeep for 6 weeks. I put the charger on the night before I drive it. No problems so far.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Dkretden

Do not disconnect any cables on the positive side of the battery. See the diagram I provided..

DO, upon return, hook the JL up to a battery tender/maintainer and let it charge the batteries until the tender/maintainer indicates batteries are charged.
yes, I will NOT remove the positives Before I leave.

unfortunately, on return,

There is no way for me to do what you suggest when I return, unless I pull the entire main battery out of the jeep And bring up to my residential unit. issues?

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I've been working on my Jeep at 2 weeks at a time and sometimes disconnecting the batterry was necessary. As described above, you will need to disconect the black side completely. That will seperate the aux battery too. I have not had a problem with my Jeep starting up after the two weeks.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, I will NOT remove the positives Before I leave.

unfortunately, on return,

There is no way for me to do what you suggest when I return, unless I pull the entire main battery out of the jeep And bring up to my residential unit. issues?
@Dkretden

I would not bother pulling the main battery as you mention.

When you get back, re-attach the negative cables at the Main, start the JL and drive to the residence and place the JL on a charger/maintainer until the charger maintainer indicates charged.

Can tell you... if you leave the vehicle for 5-6 weeks with 12v power not killed, you really are at risk of a no start situation in regard to your JL upon your return.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I've been working on my Jeep at 2 weeks at a time and sometimes disconnecting the batterry was necessary. As described above, you will need to disconect the black side completely. That will seperate the aux battery too. I have not had a problem with my Jeep starting up after the two weeks.
Thanks.

I will be gone for about 5 weeks. I WILL pull the negative as described above.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
@Dkretden

I would not bother pulling the main battery as you mention.

When you get back, re-attach the negative cables at the Main, start the JL and drive to the residence and place the JL on a charger/maintainer until the charger maintainer indicates charged.

Can tell you... if you leave the vehicle for 6 weeks with 12v power not killed, you really are at risk of a no start situation in regard to your JL upon your return.
Lol. We are not communicating perfectly…..

my jeep will be in a garage at my residence. It is a communal garage there is zero opportunity to charge it via a battery charger while the battery is in the jeep (Welcome to living in an urban highrise).

so…. Thanks to your advice, I will….

1) kill the power as you describe above.
2) reconnect negative when I return
3) if it starts maybe drive it around a bit to charge up a tad
4) if it doesn’t start, jump it and take it to a shop to charge it or……

5) pull the battery bring it up 20 floors to my unit, hook it to a charger over night and charge the battery and reinstall?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.

I will be gone for about 5 weeks. I WILL pull the negative as described above.
@Dkretden

You must pull and separate all negative cables as mentioned in the diagram. IF you do not separate the cables you will not have a total 12v power kill.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Yes, I understand the diagrams in your post and will do exactly that.
Please come back and let us know if your throw any codes etc after being totally dead for 5 weeks. I would assume by then anything trying to hold anything in memory would have died as well. It will be a great test for if anyone wants to long term store a JL. I‘ll be surprised if a JL can go totally dark for that long without forgetting about something that is required.
Sponsored