Sponsored

Price Increase

MilkSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
A

All Good! Considering we pay way more than you guys in America, I assume shipping costs are part of the overall cost.

Base 3.6 Rubicon price is now $81500 according to the cost they want to charge me now in Australia.
Sounds like you'll have to just deal with it. I doubt you'll end up finding one for same price or cheaper in the future.

I would still haggle the price down,or get some extra free oil changes, have them work on the prices elsewhere, etc.
Sponsored

redgum

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 3.6 Unlimited Rubicon, WJ 2.7 diesel Laredo
Your dealer really should have told you about this earlier in the year if they could not source you a MY21 model.

I did recall seeing an article on price rises, so searched back and found this...

Jeep increases prices on Wrangler and Gladiator by up to $7000 - Drive

There were earlier price rises too, so this might account for the extra (and maybe luxury car tax?)

Perhaps raise this with the dealer and get some price adjustment or a couple times of 'free servicing'.

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Your dealer really should have told you about this earlier in the year if they could not source you a MY21 model.

I did recall seeing an article on price rises, so searched back and found this...

Jeep increases prices on Wrangler and Gladiator by up to $7000 - Drive

There were earlier price rises too, so this might account for the extra (and maybe luxury car tax?)

Perhaps raise this with the dealer and get some price adjustment or a couple times of 'free servicing'.
I did recall reading about a price rise but was relieved we were signed up already for ours. The first I heard about the price rise was today. The day it was delivered to the dealer.

We originally had a 2021 model but Jeep cancelled that order without notification.

onboardatlast

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Overland
I ordered an almost fully optioned JLUR (with sky roof) in Nov 2021 - drive away cost was $89K. In Feb 2022 I was told prices had increased and I had an option to cancel the sale and get my deposit back or hang in there and accept the new price...new drive way cost $96K. With everything that is going on around the world, I'm OK with it. I'm told my Rubi is waiting for a boat to bring it across to Oz...

Sponsored

onboardatlast

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Overland
I've just optioned a similar JLUR on the US website - about $63K USD 'net' which equals about $88K AUD. Seems reasonable when comparing the two.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
A

All Good! Considering we pay way more than you guys in America, I assume shipping costs are part of the overall cost.

Base 3.6 Rubicon price is now $81500 according to the cost they want to charge me now in Australia.
When I ordered my fully optioned JLUR back in 2019, I paid way way under what the Americans paid for the base JLUR. My total cost was $68500 on road (With optioned paint, leather interior, electrical upgrade, both hard and soft top roofs, steel bar, etc)

When I was at the LA motor show end of 2019, I spoke to one of the important guys at the Jeep stand about my pricing in Aus and not even he could understand the pricing some of us got over here.

Guess they are unfortunately making up for it now due to the crazy demand and still chip shortage =(

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y, Gladiator
https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=

Put your VIN at the end of this link after the VIN= part and check what your window sticker says. Dealership might not have price protected you against the MSRP going up in between order and delivery but you can at least see if the $9000 is dealership shenanigans or what's on the window sticker

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I ordered my fully optioned JLUR back in 2019, I paid way way under what the Americans paid for the base JLUR. My total cost was $68500 on road (With optioned paint, leather interior, electrical upgrade, both hard and soft top roofs, steel bar, etc)

When I was at the LA motor show end of 2019, I spoke to one of the important guys at the Jeep stand about my pricing in Aus and not even he could understand the pricing some of us got over here.

Guess they are unfortunately making up for it now due to the crazy demand and still chip shortage =(
Definitely making up for it. I had a look today and dealers are asking up to $90k.

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
A JLUR configured to how we get them in Aus (plenty of optional items in the US are standard in Aus) and it comes out to US$58,650. With the current exchange rate that works out about AUS$82,500 and that's before shipping, LCT, RHD markup, etc so it's still actually comparable. I'd still be pissed if the dealer hit me with a price rise after my order was cancelled.

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you'll have to just deal with it. I doubt you'll end up finding one for same price or cheaper in the future.

I would still haggle the price down,or get some extra free oil changes, have them work on the prices elsewhere, etc.
I know I won’t get one anywhere near this price, but that’s not the point. I’ve spent money on parts working to a budget, waited eight months when I could have considered other options. I have worked to a budget whilst waiting. its simply not fair and I can’t afford another $9000 just because.

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A JLUR configured to how we get them in Aus (plenty of optional items in the US are standard in Aus) and it comes out to US$58,650. With the current exchange rate that works out about AUS$82,500 and that's before shipping, LCT, RHD markup, etc so it's still actually comparable. I'd still be pissed if the dealer hit me with a price rise after my order was cancelled.
This is the thing. Jeep cancelled my order causing even more delay. No notification about the cancellation. And for the honour of the delay, they are hitting me up for another $9000.

Its been two days since I heard from the dealer. I’m guessing I’m not going to get a good result. I really want this thing so much. We have so many plans ready to go. But not at any price. I’m hoping to have the original price restored, I may accept some sort of middle ground but I’m going to test other cars if there’s no resolution by the end of business tomorrow.

I’ll be devastated not to get a Rubi because we had one before and regret selling it. This one will be a 10 year plus ownership If it pans out.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
This is the thing. Jeep cancelled my order causing even more delay. No notification about the cancellation. And for the honour of the delay, they are hitting me up for another $9000.

Its been two days since I heard from the dealer. I’m guessing I’m not going to get a good result. I really want this thing so much. We have so many plans ready to go. But not at any price. I’m hoping to have the original price restored, I may accept some sort of middle ground but I’m going to test other cars if there’s no resolution by the end of business tomorrow.

I’ll be devastated not to get a Rubi because we had one before and regret selling it. This one will be a 10 year plus ownership If it pans out.
Any price increase is discouraging. The Yanks on this thread are feeling your pain, but, for most of us, our reactions we’re amplified because we weren’t making the AUD to USD conversion. In USD, your price bump is about $6,400*. That’s still miserable, but it’s closer to what might be explained by the model year change and sharply increasing shipping costs for the long trip to Australia. (If you flip the conversion rate, we read your $9,000 bump the way you’d react to a $12,500 AUD bump.)

I suspect your contract includes hedging language that protects the dealership in the event of intervening price increases from the manufacturer. Even if it doesn’t, your remedy is probably recovery of any deposit you placed and moving on to try to do better elsewhere. If I were you, I’d call the dealer back and ask for an update. Maybe the dealer can help a little? I’d also look around to see if you have better options anywhere else in Australia.

If you find there are no better options, which seems likely, the analysis is pretty simple:
1) What are all those plans you made for the next ten years worth to you?
2) Can you afford it?
3) Are there less expensive brand-x means of implementing the same plans?
4) Will you be happy with something other than aJeep?
(The $5000 AUD in purchased parts is a consideration too, I suppose, because, if you’ve had them for several months you’re unlikely to be able to return them for a full refund.)

One other thought: We’ve made a lot of very stupid decisions over here that are having the following predictable results:
1) soaring inflation,
2) dramatically increasing fuel costs,
3) climbing interest rates,
4) dumping stock market,
5) increasing pressures favoring recession

The only way to kill inflation is to shut down the money supply, and doing that further dampens an economy, so an inflationary recession is an especially challenging nut to crack. Jeep sales will suffer, and we will slide back to the days of climbing dealer inventories, price competition, and rebates. I can imagine this combination of influences resulting in cheaper Jeeps in Australia within 18 months or less.

Or not... And the parts you bought may not fit the new Jeep you can buy in 18 or 24 months… You never know.

I guess this distills to “How bad do you want it, and can you afford it?“

Good luck!

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any price increase is discouraging. The Yanks on this thread are feeling your pain, but, for most of us, our reactions we’re amplified because we weren’t making the AUD to USD conversion. In USD, your price bump is about $6,400*. That’s still miserable, but it’s closer to what might be explained by the model year change and sharply increasing shipping costs for the long trip to Australia. (If you flip the conversion rate, we read your $9,000 bump the way you’d react to a $12,500 AUD bump.)

I suspect your contract includes hedging language that protects the dealership in the event of intervening price increases from the manufacturer. Even if it doesn’t, your remedy is probably recovery of any deposit you placed and moving on to try to do better elsewhere. If I were you, I’d call the dealer back and ask for an update. Maybe the dealer can help a little? I’d also look around to see if you have better options anywhere else in Australia.

If you find there are no better options, which seems likely, the analysis is pretty simple:
1) What are all those plans you made for the next ten years worth to you?
2) Can you afford it?
3) Are there less expensive brand-x means of implementing the same plans?
4) Will you be happy with something other than aJeep?
(The $5000 AUD in purchased parts is a consideration too, I suppose, because, if you’ve had them for several months you’re unlikely to be able to return them for a full refund.)

One other thought: We’ve made a lot of very stupid decisions over here that are having the following predictable results:
1) soaring inflation,
2) dramatically increasing fuel costs,
3) climbing interest rates,
4) dumping stock market,
5) increasing pressures favoring recession

The only way to kill inflation is to shut down the money supply, and doing that further dampens an economy, so an inflationary recession is an especially challenging nut to crack. Jeep sales will suffer, and we will slide back to the days of climbing dealer inventories, price competition, and rebates. I can imagine this combination of influences resulting in cheaper Jeeps in Australia within 18 months or less.

Or not... And the parts you bought may not fit the new Jeep you can buy in 18 or 24 months… You never know.

I guess this distills to “How bad do you want it, and can you afford it?“

Good luck!
You make a lot of sense. The desire is high for a Rubicon. I will contact the dealer tomorrow and see what the go is. We might be able to do a deal but there are other options, cheaper, that will get me 90% of what the Rubi will.

it’s just hard to cop the $9000 over the agreed price Where I get nothing out of it.
Sponsored