Sponsored

Price Increase

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
You make a lot of sense. The desire is high for a Rubicon. I will contact the dealer tomorrow and see what the go is. We might be able to do a deal but there are other options, cheaper, that will get me 90% of what the Rubi will.

it’s just hard to cop the $9000 over the agreed price Where I get nothing out of it.
I get it. And I’d be pissed.

I paid less than $4,000 for my first new Jeep in 1977. That was a lot of money for me then.

My 2006 TJ was in the mid $20k range new, and I thought that was ridiculous.

When I shopped for my 2019 JLUR and saw prices in the mid-$50k range I nearly crapped myself. There were over 70 new wranglers on the lot, and not one was under $40k.

My 2019 JL is CJ/Wrangler #8 for me. There is an inevitable ebb and flow in pricing as markets fluctuate with all of the influences discussed above, so you can be more or less lucky with your vehicle replacement timing, but the swing between a great buy during a soft economy with rebate and financing incentives, and a crappy buy (during most of COVID), is probably on the order of 12% or less. Based on the price increases I’ve seen over the last 40 years, and the high and increasing inflationary pressures we’re seeing now, I won’t be surprised if a standard JLUR hybrid is over $100,000 USD by 2030. In that context you might well regard your current deal as a bargain.

The moral of the story is, don’t ever sell a Jeep you love. Just replace components until they finally plant you in the ground. If I understood that 38 years ago I’d still have my favorite Jeep, a simple CJ-7 I could work on in the driveway…
Sponsored

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I get it. And I’d be pissed.

I paid less than $4,000 for my first new Jeep in 1977. That was a lot of money for me then.

My 2006 TJ was in the mid $20k range new, and I thought that was ridiculous.

When I shopped for my 2019 JLUR and saw prices in the mid-$50k range I nearly crapped myself. There were over 70 new wranglers on the lot, and not one was under $40k.

My 2019 JL is CJ/Wrangler #8 for me. There is an inevitable ebb and flow in pricing as markets fluctuate with all of the influences discussed above, so you can be more or less lucky with your vehicle replacement timing, but the swing between a great buy during a soft economy with rebate and financing incentives, and a crappy buy (during most of COVID), is probably on the order of 12% or less. Based on the price increases I’ve seen over the last 40 years, and the high and increasing inflationary pressures we’re seeing now, I won’t be surprised if a standard JLUR hybrid is over $100,000 USD by 2030. In that context you might well regard your current deal as a bargain.

The moral of the story is, don’t ever sell a Jeep you love. Just replace components until they finally plant you in the ground. If I understood that 38 years ago I’d still have my favourite Jeep, a simple CJ-7 I could work on in the driveway…
Selling a Jeep we loved did get us in this trouble. We had a 2016 JK Sahara which we reluctantly sold. Reluctance became regret.

Thank you for all your comments. It's helping the possibility of copping the price rise a little easier if that's the path we do venture down.

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well after much soul searching and juggling of finances, we are probably going to go ahead with purchasing our 2022 Rubicon. The dealer gave us a deal he says is cost price. I believe he has done his best s as me thenk him for his efforts. Jeep the company on the other hand, I don’t have very good feelings about.

We are using many justifications to calm our souls in spending this unforeseen extra cash. Like, we have already spent so much we won’t recover, the cost of gearing up another model of car and missing out on all things Wrangler gives us.

In the end, they have us over a barrel price wise. I know they could sell it for way more than we will pay, even with the ridiculous price rise. They also have us over a barrel emotionally. We spent the last three years regretting selling our JK and now it has arrived and in our grasp, it’s hard to not go through with the purchase.

Again, thanks to those who responded making this shit sandwich taste not so bad.

The whole thing is unfair and a ridiculous situation. If you are in Australia and ordered a Jeep in 2021 and haven’t been told of a price rise, please check with your dealer and not get caught out after your pride and joy arrives and you have so much emotionally invested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered an almost fully optioned JLUR (with sky roof) in Nov 2021 - drive away cost was $89K. In Feb 2022 I was told prices had increased and I had an option to cancel the sale and get my deposit back or hang in there and accept the new price...new drive way cost $96K. With everything that is going on around the world, I'm OK with it. I'm told my Rubi is waiting for a boat to bring it across to Oz...
Your dealer should be able to tell you the name of the boat your car is on. You can then track it. I used Boat Watch.

OP
OP
Korgicon

Korgicon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just been to see the dealer. He was great. Under the strain of having to inform people of the price rise but I can’t complain at all about his efforts.

We got to see our car, touch it, sit in it. Emotionally, it was easy to decide to go ahead seeing it in the flesh. It’ll take some finance shuffling but in two weeks, we will be driving it home! 😊😊😊
Sponsored

Last edited: