Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
These were on sale (Amazon) a few months ago. Much cheaper back then. Much lower profile than the mopar/mcgard locks (which stick out quite a bit).

8161zA72lbL._SL1500_.jpg
81D0M7Dn18L._SX425_.jpg
Agree... having the Mopar I can tell you they are a bit obnoxious although after a fair amount of rock crawling and rim rash they haven't had any damage.
I have the Gorilla lugs on my LJ and they are great. I like that every single one is keyed which mentally can be a real deterrent. Not to mention the Level 8 rims I have have super narrow holes that the Gorilla key slips in nicely.
Sponsored

tlmacson

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
These were on sale (Amazon) a few months ago. Much cheaper back then. Much lower profile than the mopar/mcgard locks (which stick out quite a bit).

8161zA72lbL._SL1500_.jpg
81D0M7Dn18L._SX425_.jpg
Unfortunately, I missed the sale, but I did order them earlier this month, and I do like the lower profile compared to the Mcgard locks. Also, the "slow them down" factor is multiplied by the fact that each lug is a lock. PS: the black set looks great with my black Moab wheels.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I live in a nice neighborhood, therefore it's not my 'hood I'm concerned with. I'm more concerned about when I travel to the beach. Do you have a helpful response?
Man, stealing a whole wheel at the beach is ballsy.

Im more concerned about riding top off to the beach and have my amp and woofer cut out. Much easier/quicker than taking a whole 5th wheel

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
What is everyone using to prevent spare tire theft? On my JK I used 3 different locking lugs. On my JL I am using the Artec Industries license plate relocation bracket so that is using up two of the lugs..............for the third I was considering a locking lug but I can't find any for JL aftermarket wheels. All I can find are spline lug nut sets. What is everyone using? Thanks in advance for your input!

Edit: Additional info for the funny guys out there............My spare has not been stolen and never has. Not even when I lived in DC. I'm asking because I like to drive my Jeep when going on vacation. There are always thieves in vacation spots. I'm not concerned about parking in my neighborhood, work, or anywhere local where I park.

Don't waste your time, Discount tires doesn't even recommend tire locks. The reason, they just steal the whole vehicle these days.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Don't waste your time, Discount tires doesn't even recommend tire locks. The reason, they just steal the whole vehicle these days.
Yep no ones steals just the rims anymore...
Also happened to a guy in Georgia last week as it sat in the airport parking deck. Most likely they tell you that because they get sick and tired of hunting around for the lug key.

upload_2019-5-13_15-3-27.png

View attachment 180357

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I have had my wheels stolen with the locking nuts. They just break your window and take your lug key.
The doors of my Jeep are off for months at a time and I basically have a tent for a roof. At some point you just stop sweating everything.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Locking lug nuts just keep the honest people honest. If someone wants it bad enough, they will take it. Is spare tire theft an issue In the places you travel. There really isn’t a full proof solution. I don’t own a tornado shelter and I often speed ,sometimes you just got to have a little risk in your life. Do You think these dealership didn’t have locking lug nuts. ....

95DED46F-9B81-4356-9390-286B2A8EEF70.png
I’m calling BS on this. This is an urban legend I’ve heard from every dealer for the past 15 years. First off dealers use locking lug nuts because they can charge the customer a few hundred dollars extra for them anyway. Second, the dealership has hundreds of thousands in inventory sitting outside and apparently the lowest budget security system possible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Hey there,

Here is a pack of the Mopar locks:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/wheel-locks-wrangler-jl

Mopar_82215711_Wheel_Lock_Package_0.jpg

When you purchase aftermarket wheels just make sure to get a lug nut kit that includes the locks such as (They come in black or chrome):

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/23-piece-classic-acorn-style-wheel-lug-nut-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

adratec-Black-23-Piece-Classic-Acorn-Style-Wheel-Lug-Nut-Kit-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Grand-Cherokee-WK2.jpg

Or these:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/gorilla-automotive/factory-style-acorn-lug-23pc-kit-78-hex-14mm-x-1-19-jeep-wrangler-jl

GOR-66743BDX-23-Acorn-Style-Lug-Kit-BLK-18-19-JL-92806-9032-Image.jpg

Have a great day!
Hailey
Hi Hailey, unfortunately these do not work on aftermarket wheels. They are "factory style" lug nuts. - BUT- Your spline lug nuts do work on aftermarket wheels..........I'll probably be ordering those soon! Thanks!

OP
OP
Jeepin_Donnie

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Benefits Manager

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Agree, SPLINE LUG NUTS do work on all ALLLOYN WHEELS and they will SLOW DOWN/DISCOURAGE most "WALK BY" THEIVES !

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored