Sponsored

Premium Soft Top, Winter, Ice? A Problem?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yeah--my first Wrangler came with dual tops and my current Wrangler is only hard top, so I've run hard tops in the winter.

I know people in the north run soft tops, but I can't find good info on how to deal with ice on the rear window or if it's even an issue. I appreciate the shoutouts--I'll follow up with @stil2low if they don't reply to this thread.

I should have added this: I'm in way, way upstate New York in the Adirondacks. North of most of the population of Ontario. I can see the lights of Montreal's suburbs on my drive home in the winter.
Honestly, the only thing you have to keep in mind when running a soft top in the winter, is never ever never ever ever try to remove ice and snow from it. Well, you can lightly brush off the snow, but don't force anything. As the top warms up (sun, heater, weather) it will clean itself. Never touch the side/back windows because they will scratch.

I have no issues with staying warm. Personally, every Jeep (TJ, JKU, JL) I've owned has had an awesome heater:like:. I have been known to drive topless in 45 degree weather with the heat blasting:LOL:

Just make sure that everything is buttoned up. Windows are in properly and snug. Then you really should be fine.:like:
Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I have a soft top only on mine and it did great during the time I was home last winter. Did a road trip up north in PA and NY and had no issues. Jeep heated up quickly so snow/ice melted on its own very quickly. Jeep stayed warm inside without any problems. Only thing I missed a little was the rear window washer/wiper due to the spray kicked up by wet roads, but after a while the spray actually ended up cleaning the rear window on its own.

Just my thoughts...

E3561269-9FE8-490F-8EB9-0D0169D0F581.jpeg

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I had a soft top JL here through a Chicago winter. The JL soft tops is much better than previous versions. I would say it stays just as warm, if not warmer, than the hard top.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes I got ice on the windows. I would run the heat to melt it.

2. My soft top originally had a pretty high crown to it. After the winter full of snow it flattened out a bit. No damage though.

The main issue (a design flaw) is the placement/alignment of the rails that run the length of the top. The snow melts when the heat is on, or if it warms up outside. The water runs down these rails directly into the front door jams/hinges. The jeep cools down, or the tempert drops, and the water freezes in the hinges. Doors will not open. Multiple times I had to take another vehicles because my doors were frozen shut...

20190405_084850.jpg

OP
OP
johndan

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
Thanks to everyone for the input. Sounds like snow/ice is manageable with some care to not force removal. (The dealer said I could use an ice scraper on the windows, which I thought sounded a little suspect.)

I can garage it before any major storm events--I just have to remember to not use that bay of the garage as the gigantic junk drawer it often becomes if I'm not careful (bikes, sawhorses, pizza oven, pellet smoker, lawn chairs…).

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Nothing for nothing but does anyone make an A/C space heater that will go down to, say, 34 degrees Farenheit (i.e. just above freezing)?

One could connect it to a timer that perhaps gets the heater going at 5:26AM, or with enough time to melt the ice before you leave for work.

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
Nothing for nothing but does anyone make an A/C space heater that will go down to, say, 34 degrees Farenheit (i.e. just above freezing)?

One could connect it to a timer that perhaps gets the heater going at 5:26AM, or with enough time to melt the ice before you leave for work.
Remote start?

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

You can get a temperature power tap at a farm store (TSC) or on line. Used on farms to keep water troughs ice free. I have also used them with a timer. Obviously the tap needs to be outside the vehicle.

On a side note Jeeps delivered to Canada all have a block heater. Not sure what US states automatically include it.

OP
OP
johndan

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
You can get a temperature power tap at a farm store (TSC) or on line. Used on farms to keep water troughs ice free. I have also used them with a timer. Obviously the tap needs to be outside the vehicle.

On a side note Jeeps delivered to Canada all have a block heater. Not sure what US states automatically include it.
Block heater in the US is an option, but it's only $95.

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It
Block heater in the US is an option, but it's only $95.
It doesn’t show up on the build sheet or sticker but in cold climates it might have been included. Check to see if the engine block heater cord is under the hood bundled in front of the battery tray.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Great--thanks. I think I'll go with just the soft top.
I am ordering our another Jeep this morning , premium soft top only. Im in the mts here and it is nasty as you know. I will refrain from putting a scraper to the windows and use only a brush. I do have the luxury of a garage so that will help a ton. I have heard that the interior heats up quickly. Fingers crossed !

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not the full answer your looking for, but it's AN answer.

I live in central Maryland. Not exactly a cold place, but we have a week or two that holds in the 30s here and there. This is the definition of cold for a guy from the gulf south where 80 isn't hot.

My neighbor has a JK. Soft top. He leaf blows his soft top then brushed (no scrapers) the top. The layer of ice is still there. He drives off. From talking to him, he drives and hour to work, and says by the time he gets to the main highway, the ice is all gone. Frederick to DC for those wondering.

I'm only a few weeks into my JL, so I can t give personal winter advice. Sorry. Hope this helps.
Maryland ! ? Cmon ,you guys have Palm trees down there ! :facepalm: Do you even need a top ?;)

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, the only thing you have to keep in mind when running a soft top in the winter, is never ever never ever ever try to remove ice and snow from it. Well, you can lightly brush off the snow, but don't force anything. As the top warms up (sun, heater, weather) it will clean itself. Never touch the side/back windows because they will scratch.

I have no issues with staying warm. Personally, every Jeep (TJ, JKU, JL) I've owned has had an awesome heater:like:. I have been known to drive topless in 45 degree weather with the heat blasting:LOL:

Just make sure that everything is buttoned up. Windows are in properly and snug. Then you really should be fine.:like:
Great advice. So hands off the windows , as they will scratch. I suppose I could just wave at snowy windows with a towel ?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Thanks for this. You reminded me. I can just get a temperature switch (thermocouple).

The question was theoretical; I'll switch to the hard top in a month of two. : - )
Sponsored