Power Top Does NOT Leak, BUT..

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
I'm not sure if anything like this exists out there or not... but would it not be possible to insert a small rubber insert into the front part of the gutter that extended over the length of the front door? Any water would then simply bleed off over the edge of the "drain" and run down the outside of the door. You could also have the gutter invert at a slight incline towards the back but this wouldn't work if your Wrangler was at the slightest angle tilting forward.
Sponsored

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
Not when you account for exchange rate, or did you forget that part of the equation?
Canadian dollar was worth around 1.10 US in 2007 now it’s worth just over 75c after climbing out from the high 60s in 2016, making it over a 40% increase from exchange rate alone and then multiply that by a 1.20 inflation increase from 2006 to 2017, you’re actually ahead of the game if you only have a price increase of 60%, because on the low end it should be 63% increase and on the high end over 75% from just those economic aspects alone, not even changing perceived value of the Wrangler as a widget.

Even just the sticker price from 2015 to 2016 went up many thousands of dollars (about $5K) in Canada for the same model because of a major drop in the exchange rate, meanwhile he US went up just a few percentage points like usual.

Comparing the two price without that aspect is misleading.
Too funny. I've been on this forum since the spring and you're probably the number one reason I never posted or registered believe it or not. You actually have a lot of good information, it's just the air of condescension in so many of your posts that I just can't take. Almost every time you chime in on something it seems you want to let us know we're stupid and you're brilliant. I'm not sure it's intentional but it's definitely there whether you can see it or not.

Yes, I'm well aware of the exchange rate. Living in Canada, how could I not be? You can't multiply the exchange rate change times the inflation, that doesn't make sense. You can only apply the exchange rate after inflation. Factoring in the exchange though is difficult because they don't seem to actually use it as you would think. For instance, right now the Base Price in Canada is just over 48k and the base price for the same in US dollars is $40.5k which would be an exchange rate of about .84 versus the .77 it sits at currently. Similarly, back in 2006 the Rubicon JKU in Canada was $30k and $29.2k in the US which is .97 versus the .88 it was at back then. In both cases we're actually getting a better deal here for some reason which is I'm sure based on market research and the like.

If it makes you feel better, let's just use the US dollar comparison and take exchange out of it. The $40.5k versus the $29k is about a 40% increase during a period where the inflation was about 1.22 (slightly higher than Canada). Essentially double the rate of inflation.

As I said in my post "I don't care how you break that down". It's way more than inflation was really my only point. Ultimately, the rules of supply and demand mean they can charge whatever they want as long as people are willing to pay it. I'm one that will but it doesn't mean I have to like how they're doing business.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
http://www.truckmasterdesigns.com/products.html

JK solution. I used it for 3 months but it let more air noise in so I took it off. With a removable top and doors there are not a lot of options imho. In my JK the sway bar and locker control gets wet (I lived in Florida for 3/5 years of the jeeps life) and I never had a problem. Do I wish they would fix it? Sure but what screwed up band aid they come up with scares me more.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The amount of water that ran into that JL was excessive. Over time, that WILL hurt the interior. It will also promote frozen doors in winter. The water is getting down into the headlight switch, defrost vent, etc. Terrible.

This is another example of engineering not following through with an idea. They used fixed A-pillars on the JL, unlike the JK, which means they could have easily drained that water through tubes down the A-pillar just like they do on sunroofs with other models. Simple fix. But no....they had to half-@$$ it and give us a vehicle that's overpriced and will end up with mildew in the carpet. Wonderful.
Do those tubes get plugged up?

Sponsored

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I think WXman is thinking the drip comes from the track. That is were you would use tubes. Gutters are older than all of us. It would be unprecedented and very strange to connect a tube to that. I guess it would be like a downspout routed into a hole in the A-pillar?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yes, I'm well aware of the exchange rate. Living in Canada, how could I not be? You can't multiply the exchange rate change times the inflation, that doesn't make sense. You can only apply the exchange rate after inflation.
Sure you can apply the two. Even for CPI the basket is for basics, and if you want to apply it to US inflation and then apply it to Exchange rate, then you will get the same result. For products made here, or using local labour it would be included, for an external product like the Wrangler, it would not.

Factoring in the exchange though is difficult because they don't seem to actually use it as you would think. For instance, right now the Base Price in Canada is just over 48k and the base price for the same in US dollars is $40.5k which would be an exchange rate of about .84 versus the .77 it sits at currently.
Exchange rate is factored in usually about twice a year when they update the stickers, once at Model Year refresh and once mid-year, so taking it as a spot price is an issue if the rate changes significantly, but taking it over a Decade does not have that same challenge, so from 2006 or 2007 to anytime in 2017 would give you that range that covers % change as well, and I was generous with those numbers too. Again, you comparing them without mentioning it is misleading.

If it make you feel better, let's just use the US dollar comparison and take exchange out of it. The $40.5k versus the $29k is about a 40% increase during a period where the inflation was about 1.22 (slightly higher than Canada). Essentially double the rate of inflation.
Or actually 38.5% MSRP increase in 11 years instead about 22.7% US inflation over the same period, so still much less than double the rate, and well below that 60%, while being more in-line with most companies increasing at a point or two above inflation.

Again, not quite reflective of the whole picture, even without considering the changes to the Wrangler istelf in that period, where the $40,495 MSRP is for a lot more features than the $35,795 today price for that 2007 JKUR in 2006. Would you pay $4,700 more for a base 2018 JLUR over a new base 2007? Pretty sure most people would.

(edit to clarify: 2018 JKUR is $37,445 ; JLUR is the $40K)

Last edited:

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if this one leaks too? The levetating door handles are amazing, and the hands free steering wheel is awesome. Must be Mark Hamills edition.

:cwl:

I guess the build page has more than a few kinks.....or they really, really, really dumbed down the sport this time around.

download.jpg

Bill 13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR
Sure you can apply the two. Even for CPI the basket is for basics, and if you want to apply it to US inflation and then apply it to Exchange rate, then you will get the same result. For products made here, or using local labour it would be included, for an external product like the Wrangler, it would not.

Exchange rate is factored in usually about twice a year when they update the stickers, once at Model Year refresh and once mid-year, so taking it as a spot price is an issue if the rate changes significantly, but taking it over a Decade does not have that same challenge, so from 2006 or 2007 to anytime in 2017 would give you that range that covers % change as well, and I was generous with those numbers too. Again, you comparing them without mentioning it is misleading.

Or actually 38.5% MSRP increase in 11 years instead about 22.7% US inflation over the same period, so still much less than double the rate, and well below that 60%, while being more in-line with most companies increasing at a point or two above inflation.

Again, not quite reflective of the whole picture, even without considering the changes to the Wrangler istelf in that period, where the $40,495 MSRP is for a lot more features than the $35,795 today price for that 2007 JKUR in 2006. Would you pay $4,700 more for a base 2018 JLUR over a new base 2007? Pretty sure most people would.

(edit to clarify: 2018 JKUR is $37,445 ; JLUR is the $40K)
Well, I'll keep it short cause I just don't care enough to drag this on. I agree with you on some points and disagree with you on others. I'm not sure it was tragically misleading but luckily there are forum police like yourself that can quickly jump in.

I'm not sure how you're calculating the MSRP increase but $40,495-$29000=$11,495 and $11,495/$29,000=.396379 or 39.6%. We obviously have different views about what "much less" is when you're saying $4,700 is nothing but the 5.2% (39.6 - (22.4% inflation # I used * 2)) difference between "double" is massive.

Either way I'm sure we'll both enjoy our Jeeps and you will continue trolling as usual. Sorry to anyone else that I might have wildly misled.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Do those tubes get plugged up?
On my other vehicle with sunroof, the drain tubes will clog up, but it takes years. I can easily clean them out by using a garden hose to reverse flush them.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
On my other vehicle with sunroof, the drain tubes will clog up, but it takes years. I can easily clean them out by using a garden hose to reverse flush them.
...on vehicles that don't leave the roadway. A Jeep? Week? Day?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Of course you could simply be accurate the first time, but hey why be accurate when you can use hyperbole and moan about 60% increase and double inflation rate.

I'm not sure how you're calculating the MSRP increase but $40,495-$29000=$11,495 and $11,495/$29,000=.396379 or 39.6%.
I’m calculating it using accurate numbers, I don’t know where you’re pulling the numbers from. MSRP was 29,249 for the 20007 JKU Rubicon so 40,495 is 38.449% more I rounded to 38.5% for your benefit.
However as your margin of error is about 25-50% instead of 5%, and that’s without even usig the 60% number, then yeah it would be very misleading, especially when talking JLUR which has significantly more stuff... like double-stuffed versus just the price increase over inflation of a JKUR.