Post Lift Alignment Issues

Clenz

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my post lift alignment results that would help me address some issues.
I have a 2020 JLUR and I installed a Metalcloak gamechanger 2.5" lift (all new control arms and track bars). I immediately took it to 4WP for an alignment, and I could tell it was pulling right on my way to the shop. I mentioned to them that I would like to see caster at around 6 or higher per the Metalcloak instructions and advice here. The tech told me that the pinion would be facing the dirt if he went that high - I felt like he thought it was a JK.
Now that I've been driving it a week or so, it is still pulling right quite a bit. It's not as bad but is bugging me. They told me that they noticed the right pull after alignment, but it was likely due to my new tires (Patogonia 37s w/ less than 50 miles) and it will be fine after my 1st rotation.
You can see from the report that my caster is less than 6. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the 1 hr drive and argument to return to 4WP to adjust, or if I should just modify the UCAs myself (I did pay $200). I don't have an angle finder and don't trust my ability to get the right reading, and I'm not sure if more caster would affect the pull.
Any suggestions based on these readings?
Jeep Wrangler JL Post Lift Alignment Issues 1597012452479
Sponsored

Attachments

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah caster shouldn't really cause a pull, more of an equal opportunity wander ;)

I'd be curious if the axles are centered left to right (track bar length), but even crab walking won't necessarily cause a pull (but probably more likely than caster)

The other possibility is completely wonky control arm length, ie if you had too many margs and put the left arms at X and the right arms at X+1.5"

Let us know what you find

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
Those numbers look pretty reasonable. Certainly no alarm bells going off, even if your looking for 6 degrees. The Castor, Camber and Toe are the main things but there is more to alignment than the 3 lines on your screen shot. The wheelbase and axle offset are also relevant, basically they should form a rectangle with parallel lines. Equal wheel base and little axle offset.

Tyres can cause the pull, have you got the ability to swap them over side to side on the front and see what effect that has. If you have your original wheels and tyres or a set from a known non issue vehicle, that would be better still. It eliminates a potential cause simply and cheaply.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I can't see your thrust angle in the pic, but it looks like its negative, which would point the rear wheels to the left and cause it to steer right. If you have adjustable rear control arms, that's an easy fix.

I'd have them add more cross caster and increase total caster to 6.5ish. The crown of the road will cause the jeep to pull one way or another too.

OP
OP

Clenz

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting-Gray
Thanks guys. I think that I will bring it back to 4WP and ask them to adjust the caster and check the cross caster. The pull is much more than road crowning - hopefully they can fix this/

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks guys. I think that I will bring it back to 4WP and ask them to adjust the caster and check the cross caster. The pull is much more than road crowning - hopefully they can fix this/
The cross caster is intended to help combat the crown. I'd have them set that thrust angle to 0. The metalcloack has adjustable rear control arms, so there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to.
Sponsored