Possible Craigslist Scam

Craigslist Scam?

• Total voters

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
These stories get me thinking about a business idea called Craigsafe.

You meet at a location with video cameras all over. A third party behind bullet proof gas, Craigsafe authorized, authenticates you each independently and issues you some proof the other party is who they say they are, maybe you even give the goods and money to the Craigsafe person who does the exchange.

Yeah--I know a lot of things on Craigslist wouldn't change hands his way... ;)
In the industry, we never, ever, ever say bullet-proof......

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It's Craigslist...
Everything is a scam on Craigslist, or it really feels like it at times.
Tell them to overnight you cash and you'll hold it/ship it for them. That'll make them go away.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Tell them to send you $50 via PayPal to prove they are legit, then t/f it to your bank, then tell them you'll get the info from your bank and that it will take you a few days to get back to them (after they send you the $50).

Definitely a scam...

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I once had a guy try to scam me on Craigslist claiming to be from Oklahoma. Then he made the mistake during correspondence of referring to his "sick Mum," when I asked why he was selling for such a low price. :LOL:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
IMO...Troll the scammer until he's done with you..

The more time you waste with the scammer, the less time he can be scamming someone else.
I like the way you think. The best defense is a good offense! :CWL:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've got a really old Skype number I use for Craigslist ads that has voicemail. I don't accept e-mails and text messages don't work on it. I leave concise instructions on ads to only call, leave a name and number, and you'll get a call back. It works exceptionally well at filtering out the BS.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I am selling my Mopar Side Steps (feel free to buy) on Craigslist and got this email from a buyer.

My Spidey sense is tingling.

"Thanks for returning my husband message regarding the item, We are ready to purchase it now but i won't be able to meet with you due to my work frame and we are in the process of moving and also preparing for my daughter's wedding, But we are satisfied with the price & condition posted on the CL so everything is good, My husband will proceed to overnight a Cashier/Certified Check to you through FeDex and we will arrange for someone to pick up the item from you after the Check fully clear your bank. Moreso,we will be adding extra $50 to the asking price so that you reserve it for me and my husband. Kindly Email me the following information to overnight the check ..

Full Name to issue the check....
Address to overnight check.....
Cell # & the final asking price.....

Confirm the receipt of this email if selling to us and email me back with information needed to mail the payment out ASAP.

Thanks "
Scam.

I tried selling ski boots on offer up and I got that except the guy said he was Nigerian and they were for his brother, he'd send a certified check and blah blah.

Blocked him.

I got so many scam replies I just pulled the ad and kept the boots. $400 boots that were worn for 3 hours and not one serious offer over $175.

I'd rather stare at them them give them away to some tightwad scumbag.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My Spidey sense is tingling.
You had me at "Craigslist". Craigslist? Of course it's a scam.

I voted "I'll buy them", but you'll have to ship them to me. Well Craigslist recommends not to ship anything so I'll meet you with payment. My daughter is already married and we have already moved, but I still won't be able to meet you half way, you'll have to meet me in a safe public place such as the grocery store a mile away from my house.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Scammers want Jeep side steps now?
Sponsored