Portable EV charger

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Anyone know of a portable charger, level 1 or 2 that we can buy? I'll be using my level 2 charger at home mostly but in situations where we go a far distance, stay at a friend's house, or whatever scenario where I can't be next to a charging station, was thinking if I took a portable charger with me and charged it?

Thinking of something that can be charged at home when not in use and then be able to plug it in to the 4xe when needed.
Sponsored

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Anyone know of a portable charger, level 1 or 2 that we can buy? I'll be using my level 2 charger at home mostly but in situations where we go a far distance, stay at a friend's house, or whatever scenario where I can't be next to a charging station, was thinking if I took a portable charger with me and charged it?

Thinking of something that can be charged at home when not in use and then be able to plug it in to the 4xe when needed.
The 4xe comes with a level 1 charger (one that you plug into a normal 120V, 15/20A household outlet) that's designed to be portable.

Unless you mean like a battery pack from which you can charge -- they are starting to make those now for use for roadside assistance and the like, but they're very large, very heavy, and very expensive. Take a look at http://sparkcharge.io There are also gas-powered generators (ha!) for the same purpose like https://blinkcharging.com/products/mobile-charger/ but that's also very large and very heavy and probably very expensive as well.

It will be a bit before we have the equivalent of jerry cans of gas hanging off the tailgate. We'll get there, but it'll be a few years.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
The 4xe comes with a level 1 charger (one that you plug into a normal 120V, 15/20A household outlet) that's designed to be portable.

Unless you mean like a battery pack from which you can charge -- they are starting to make those now for use for roadside assistance and the like, but they're very large, very heavy, and very expensive. Take a look at http://sparkcharge.io There are also gas-powered generators (ha!) for the same purpose like https://blinkcharging.com/products/mobile-charger/ but that's also very large and very heavy and probably very expensive as well.

It will be a bit before we have the equivalent of jerry cans of gas hanging off the tailgate. We'll get there, but it'll be a few years.
Yes like a battery pack you can charge. I saw the ones you posted but yeah either expensive or heavy. There are a few portable 110v chargers for $100 that I can use the level 1 on but don't think they have enough juice to last 12 hours and give a full charge

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Yes like a battery pack you can charge. I saw the ones you posted but yeah either expensive or heavy. There are a few portable 110v chargers for $100 that I can use the level 1 on but don't think they have enough juice to last 12 hours and give a full charge
No, those are aroud 100-250Wh. The energy efficiency of the 4xe on electric is 68kWh/100mi, or 680Wh/mi... so 250Wh might possibly get you a third of a mile range.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I’m with @OINC on this. If the friend you are visiting has electricity at their home, just bring your Level 1 charging cord. That’s why it comes with that handsome travel bag ;). Maybe also bring an extension cord if your host doesn’t have one (Just be sure it has the proper amperage rating!)

If you are headed somewhere off-grid that doesn’t have electricity…well, that’s the beauty of a hybrid vs. a full-on EV; just use gas. No range anxiety needed!

Last edited:

Sponsored

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
Be sure that any extension cord used is rated for 15amps. I believe the level 1 charger says to not use an extension cord. The current loss over thin wire can actually generate heat. And heat can lead to melting insulation, and a short/fire.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon

Espyr

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe High Altitude
OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Based on his math, you’re looking at just over a mile of range. Not worth the money IMO; if you run out of gas AND battery less than a mile from a charger/station then you deserve the work of pushing for putting yourself in that position 😂
No, one of my concerns is in the future I may move to an apartment and that apartment doesn't have EV chargers, so other than parking at some EV station a few miles away, what portable options are there to charge while at the apartment.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I have no solution to offer, but I would imagine that one will be available within the next 2 years. You've got Ford, Tesla, and Rivian all putting out full-sized, fully EV pickups in the next ~12-18 months. Truck owners are pretty demanding.

I was actually thinking about this for a camper trailer last night - could you just install a Tesla powerwall on the trailer itself (maybe on the roof?) and be able to be off-grid for days/weeks without even needing a generator?

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
No, one of my concerns is in the future I may move to an apartment and that apartment doesn't have EV chargers, so other than parking at some EV station a few miles away, what portable options are there to charge while at the apartment.
There aren’t any for now. Look for apartments with chargers? They’re starting to become an amenity nowadays, at least here.

I have no solution to offer, but I would imagine that one will be available within the next 2 years. You've got Ford, Tesla, and Rivian all putting out full-sized, fully EV pickups in the next ~12-18 months. Truck owners are pretty demanding.

I was actually thinking about this for a camper trailer last night - could you just install a Tesla powerwall on the trailer itself (maybe on the roof?) and be able to be off-grid for days/weeks without even needing a generator?
Powerwall 2 capacity is 13.5kWh, so not quite a full charge, and it weighs 250lbs.

Batteries are heavy and expensive.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Not many viable options at the moment. A really quiet 8000 watt generator is probably you only option. Maybe a PowerWall pack mounted on a mobile cart?

The Ford Lightning has a trim level that will be capable of charging up your Jeep. Rivians can charge each other. Not sure what GM and Tesla have in mind....

Going to be an interesting thing to follow though...
Sponsored