Sponsored

Will any level 2 32 AMP Ev charger work? The Mopar ones are all out of stock, recommendations for chargers that work off Amazon?

Iceman

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Will any level 2 32 AMP Ev charger work? The Mopar ones are all out of stock, recommendations for chargers that work off Amazon?
Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
Theoretically yes. We have enough chargers at work to charge 26 vehicles all at the same time (one 4xe, a few Nissan Leafs, a couple of Bolts, two Kia EV6's and a bunch of Tesla's) that are Clipper Creek EVSE's with a J1772 plug. As long as it's a J1772 plug and will plug into your outlet (120v or 240v) you should be good to go.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Brandon,

If you'll be charging outside, you may want to get one to deal with our lovely Alaska weather. Grizzl-e chargers are made in Canada with a cord designed to be flexible in subzero temps. I have a Grizzl-e Classic refurb unit that was cheaper than many on amazon, though with shipping it ended up being about the same. (check out carlile MyConnect for $20 freight forwarding from Tacoma)

https://grizzl-e.com/

I also have two portable level 1 or 2 120/240v 16 amp chargers, one branded BougeRV from Amazon and the other Schumaker from NAPA that can charger in about 4 hours on a welder/dryer outlet.

Edit: Sorry wrong name for OP!

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at Amazon today, I'd probably get an Autel charger, $479 for a smart charger is a great deal, with prime shipping to AK.

ag4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜82 CJ-8, ā€˜82 CJ-8, ā€˜83 CJ-8, ā€˜23 Wrangler 4xe
I initially bought a cheap level 2 evse from Amazon and had ā€œissuesā€ with it allowing the Jeep to fully charge. Bought the Mopar branded JuiceBox and have had no issues. I have charged at evgo, charge point, volta, and sema connect (work) stations. All have worked just fine. For public stations, the evgo and Volta are most likely to be not working due to maintenance or malfunction reasons. All others seem to be more reliable.

So, I suggest buying any of the name brand evseā€™s. Donā€™t go for a cheap china import.

For a good lesson on what is an EVSE, watch

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Another vote for the Grizzl-E, it's beefy, well constructed, has a nice '24 charging cable, and a 3 year included (with an option for 5 year) warranty.

We've had ours since May '21, and it's been terrific with the 4xe, and it's been doing double-duty since June '21 when we added a Tesla M3P.

FYI, you'll want to get a 50a circuit - which is the next common spec after 30a - the continuous load for EV charging should be 80% so you'll get 40a. The Jeep will just negotiate the max charge capability with the EVSE (aka , "charger") and charge at 32a / 7.7kW, and if you ever have a vehicle that supports higher, you'll already be good to go (for the Tesla, I just pop on the adapter that came with the car and get 40a / 9.6kW).

Oh yeah, it doesn't matter for an EV for the outlet spec, both an N6-50 and N14-50 will deliver 50a (40a continuous), and an EVSE will only use 240v. The N14-50 has an extra neutral, and is 2-phase, so it can supply 120 and 240, it's a common spec for RVs. I opted for the slightly simpler 6-50 install (ours was $220 but was only 2 feet on the same wall next to the panel).

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Another Grizzl-E here, classic with the NEMA 6-50 plug. Had mine almost 2 years now, no problems at all. If you need a smart EVSE this one won't be the one, but if you want a simple bulletproof unit I'd definitely look at it.

theblackshjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara 4xe
Clubs

Looking at Amazon today, I'd probably get an Autel charger, $479 for a smart charger is a great deal, with prime shipping to AK.
I went with the Autel MaxiCharger 40AMP NEMA 14-50 with in-body holster. I think it was $440ish when I got it ($480ish after tax). Its installed outside, works really well and they are doing a good job of adding requested features all the time. Highly recommend this as it is ~$100+ cheaper than most other options.

Sidenote: I have to run this off two extension cables for 60' total and have no issues still getting 32amps @ 240volts.

charger-outlet.jpg

Smunro622

First Name
tu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
I went charge point since I use the app for work since we have free charging. Also check to see if your electrical company has rebates for chargers. Beware that this may require a second meter for cheaper rates for off hours.

Smithsalltaken

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Sahara 4xE
Another Grizzl-E here, classic with the NEMA 6-50 plug. Had mine almost 2 years now, no problems at all. If you need a smart EVSE this one won't be the one, but if you want a simple bulletproof unit I'd definitely look at it.
Grizzl-e now makes a smart model you can connect an app to if thatā€™s ur thing. Just ordered mine direct from their website. Longer wait but came in about $20 cheaper than on Amazon and they will set the Amperage DIP switch for you at the factory to match Jeepā€™s 32A input limit. But really necessary but I figure if the Jeep doesnā€™t have to decide to scale down the amps well thatā€™s just one more thing that canā€™t go wrong. And THAT is how you jinx yourself.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase
they will set the Amperage DIP switch for you at the factory to match Jeepā€™s 32A input limit. But really necessary but I figure if the Jeep doesnā€™t have to decide to scale down the amps well thatā€™s just one more thing that canā€™t go wrong.
the only reason to limit the charger is if your circuit can't handle the full 40A. But if its the only thing on a 50A breaker then leaving it at 40A max is correct.

There's no negotiation or decision, the jeep can only suck down at 32A max. If the EVSE circuit is capable of more, it doesn't matter.

If on the other hand, you get another EV or have a guest come over and use your EVSE, they will be able to use the higher charge rate.
Sponsored