Poison spider trail question.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
Planning my trip to Moab this summer right now and have a question about Poison spider trail. If I don't have time to do whole trifecta (Poison spider, Golden spike and Gold bar) do I just go back on Poison spider once I finished the trail?
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have ran Poison Spyder four times. Just take it to the top of the Mesa, maybe run down to the little girl memorial and turn around and go back down. I did the up and back down twice in the last couple weeks.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
My recommendation, make the time, it’s worth it.
But…… get there early and plan for an entire day, chasing daylight. Do it!

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the main plan. But trying to figure out backup plans before the trip.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
+1 we started at like 5 something AM, still took us 10 hours. I think we could have done it in 9.5 if we hadnt waited aside for some SxS guys to come through. But at least they let us look at the best (they ran the worst) lines through golden crack. We drive cautious. There was 2 of us and one was a lightly lifted late model Ranger.. so winch and straps were used a few times.

You will definitely want a winch and strap (to strap off rocks if needed) especially if you are by yourself. But its busy enough, especially at weekends that someone will help. The main challenge is all the spotting that you will need. But if you have 2 or more capable jeeps you will be fine. Do it :)

You know its going to be fun when 200yds from the air-down staging area you have a nice 3ft ledge to get up on the access road before even getting near the mesa.

Its an awsome trail. (The Trifecta)

Sponsored

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the whole trifecta in about 6.5 hours. Was almost completely alone, except for one crazy motorcyclist that passed us at the golden crack. Amazing trail, my only regret is doing it too fast :) Got extremely lucky with the weather. Half a day was overcast with some light rain and the temperature never went above 80 for the whole day at the trail. Definitely will do the trail again more slowly.

IMG_4691.jpg

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Did the whole trifecta in about 6.5 hours. Was almost completely alone, except for one crazy motorcyclist that passed us at the golden crack. Amazing trail, my only regret is doing it too fast :) Got extremely lucky with the weather. Half a day was overcast with some light rain and the temperature never went above 80 for the whole day at the trail. Definitely will do the trail again more slowly.

Jeep Wrangler JL Poison spider trail question. IMG_4691
Makes me feel better about our 6hr time, I'm not sure what people are doing for 4+ additional hours but I try not to tell people it doesn't take that long. No winching, no spotting, just wheeling.

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes me feel better about our 6hr time, I'm not sure what people are doing for 4+ additional hours but I try not to tell people it doesn't take that long. No winching, no spotting, just wheeling.
I guess you can explore around the trail and have a very long lunch or two :), also me and my daughter spend about 40 min an the golden crack. I did use a winch at the waterfall at gold bar trail and my daughter spotted me in couple of places.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
If you have not done it before, it needs some scoping out for the best lines and perhaps some spotting. If you have done it before, then, well...

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have not done it before, it needs some scoping out for the best lines and perhaps some spotting. If you have done it before, then, well...
It was my first time.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Ours too, but between the wife and I we've been wheeling for over 40 years. Just ran the Rubicon last weekend just the 2 of us and 0 spotting as well. Experience goes a long way.

OP
OP
El Zilcho

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ours too, but between the wife and I we've been wheeling for over 40 years. Just ran the Rubicon last weekend just the 2 of us and 0 spotting as well. Experience goes a long way.
I'm just a beginner, 2nd trip to Moab and my first Jeep is not even 3yo. And it was my first time wheeling with lockers (a.k.a. magical cheating device :) )

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm just a beginner, 2nd trip to Moab and my first Jeep is not even 3yo. And it was my first time wheeling with lockers (a.k.a. magical cheating device :) )
There’s so much traction in Moab we rarely used the lockers. Only used the front 3 times and both once on the rubicon. The 38x13.50’s aired down to 12 psi just grip. Stoney lonesome the day after a massive rainstorm on the other hand…no traction to be had even with lockers.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
You know its going to be fun when 200yds from the air-down staging area you have a nice 3ft ledge to get up on the access road before even getting near the mesa.

Its an awsome trail. (The Trifecta)
I was just gonna ask about that 3' ledge :). I did it on my ATV years ago and it was pucker factor on that. Was wondering how you guys were getting Jeeps up that thing. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember it but it scared me on my ATV, thought I was gonna flip it over on myself.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I was just gonna ask about that 3' ledge :). I did it on my ATV years ago and it was pucker factor on that. Was wondering how you guys were getting Jeeps up that thing. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember it but it scared me on my ATV, thought I was gonna flip it over on myself.
The extra 8' of wheelbase in a jlu helps a lot. Didn't feel even a little sketchy.
Sponsored