Badge of Honor Trail "Suggest a Trail"

GO_RV

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara JLU
They should have a badge for Crazy Woman Canyon Trail in the Big Horn Mountains. It’s near Buffalo Wyoming.
Lots of Big Horn Sheep, some moose. Lots of deer.
also, has a Glacier not far.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I ran Rocky gap Thanksgiving week along w/ Schnebly & Table Mesa, the BOH app locked up stating "check-in pending", took a screen shot of that on the phone, app was jacked-up the rest of the trip so no luck on any of them :(
And like you Rocky Gap is the only one I really wanted as that one was definitely earned (just ask my skid plates, lol) :( I also sent emails w/ no luck. Oh well, guess I'll run them again as we get up that way a couple times a year.
Brad, you ever get this Rocky Gap badge?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Brad, you ever get this Rocky Gap badge?
No, I'm just going to run it again in Sept, my mom is starting down the road of dementia and we want to have one last family get together while her window of memory is still open :) We're going to meet out there, and my wife & I will have a day set aside to run that trail again. It's a fun run, and this time if that damn app stalls in "check in pending" I'll be sure to reload the darn thing.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No, I'm just going to run it again in Sept, my mom is starting down the road of dementia and we want to have one last family get together while her window of memory is still open :) We're going to meet out there, and my wife & I will have a day set aside to run that trail again. It's a fun run, and this time if that damn app stalls in "check in pending" I'll be sure to reload the darn thing.
Sad to hear about your mother. Best wishes to her and your family.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I am hoping to grab this one in the near future! Rocky Gap trail looks like a blast of a time. Is there any good camping in the area? would like to make it a weekend trip instead of a day trip :D

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
... Rocky Gap trail looks like a blast of a time. Is there any good camping in the area? ...
Caesar's Palace

It's all desert except for a few local peaks.

If you follow Lovell canyon rd in from 160, you should be able to camp up near the junction where Lovell hits Rocky Gap Rd. It's more or less protected by the canyon. Lovell Canyon rd is where you can start Rocky Gap without paying the park fee. It's also the harder side of the trail.

Potoshi Mtn is nearby. There's a campground on the west slope near the top, but it looks pretty exposed to the westerly winds.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Caesar's Palace

It's all desert except for a few local peaks.

If you follow Lovell canyon rd in from 160, you should be able to camp up near the junction where Lovell hits Rocky Gap Rd. It's more or less protected by the canyon. Lovell Canyon rd is where you can start Rocky Gap without paying the park fee. It's also the harder side of the trail.

Potoshi Mtn is nearby. There's a campground on the west slope near the top, but it looks pretty exposed to the westerly winds.

Thanks for the great information! I’ll take a look at the local camp grounds and see how it goes!

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
A buddy at work emailed them and they said they need the GPS location of the trail and details of it., IIRC.

I agree with @wibornz - But I THINK there is a review process so this dirt road scenario does not happen. I'm all about diversity and inclusion, but nobody should earn a badge for a dirt road unless there is some sort of payoff (national park, cool view, old mining town, etc) :LOL:

That said: The other side of the concern that a lot of people don't understand: I live in the Northeast. I grew up on ATV's (started in '88, I think), and I made the switch to Jeeps when I bought my first one in 2003. I have seen countless trails get closed down due to overuse and straight up neglect disrespect from casuals/ weekend idiots. State and Locals often look for any excuse to close a trail, usually citing liability concerns and complaints of abuse from neighboring landowners. It's a rule in many groups I'm in- you DO NOT share trail locations on public message boards for this reason. If you do your due diligence, it's not an issue- you'll find the trails and either know/ or learn how to conduct yourself to keep them open for the rest of us.

What does this have to do with BOH program?
Well, BOH essentially put a spotlight on a trail. Most of our trails are already overused and/ or abused (as previously mentioned). We've talked about putting up several of the "notorious" trails on public land in our area for a BOH in several regional groups I'm a part of, and while we would LOVE our favorite trails to get their own BOH- it would ultimately lead to the closure of them, as people are idiots (as previously mentioned). There are some partnerships in place working to manage access, but until that is more widespread and enforced, I offer this warning to anyone considering submitting a trail to BOH.

Full Disclosure: I like the BOH program, have 2 and want to chase more.
Well, sadly, we’re seeing the same thing in the mountain states and northwest, because we’re being overrun by millions (literally) of city folks who think they have discovered “country living” when they see a house on more than an acre... (I can’t tell you how many city people move here, buy ten acres, and refer to their property as a “ranch”.) They move here and promptly buy 4-wheel drive vehicles to “explore”… and then we extricate them from snowbanks and remote logging roads by the dozens every winter... not always alive.

I used to go months between sightings of a New York or New Jersey license plate, but I now see them at least weekly, and sometimes daily. California plates are as thick as fleas. That’s true even though the law requires out-of-state plates to be switched to Oregon plates within 30 days of moving here… There appears to be an endless supply of new transplants… I’ll ask a motorist where they are from and they’ll say “Portland, Ory-gone”, a sure sign they’re from somewhere out east and haven’t been here more than a few months.) People bring their driving manners, like accents and other behaviors, from their origins. There are responsible, kind, thoughtful, teachable folks from everywhere, of course, but generally speaking, turning Bend, Oregon into L.A. has been a disaster for all things cultural, outdoor, and rural. The latest stampede of New Yorkers, New Jersey folks, and other north-easterners has been the final nail in the coffin, as far as I’m concerned. Mapping GPS has compounded the injury, as anybody with a brain and a phone can find their way at least far enough to get into trouble.

“Remote” — meaning only nature-sounds, no Burger King nearby, and low likelihood of seeing other people during the day’s trail run — used to be 15 miles from my home. Now it’s about two hours away, and getting there isn’t pleasant because of very heavy traffic and abysmal driving behaviors. And you’re still likely to encounter another person on the trail…

That’s “progress“, I guess. With a growing number of people being able to work from anywhere, we can expect all the beautiful parts of the country to be converted to the New York and L.A. suburb-look within a generation or two.

None of this was a concern when I bought my first CJ in 1977, because 4-wheel drive vehicles were relatively uncommon and considered uncomfortable and undesirable unless they were necessary. When everybody and their dog has a 4-wheel drive that they feel obliged to try out (and we’re almost there) we’ll see wilderness access even more sharply curtailed. It’s already been dramatically reduced in my lifetime. Oregon beaches have been closed, OHV access is regulated and permitted, and there are locked gates everywhere. If there’s any of the mountain trailing experience left for my great grandkids it’s likely to be on private and toll trails… a “simulated wilderness experience”.

Because of the above, I’m in favor of diluting the BOH focus to spread the masses out. I’ll continue to focus on the trails that seem significant and fun to me; anything that diverts pressure away from those trials will be a blessing as long as I’m trailing.

Luekutus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Explorer, Adventurer, Armchair Biologist, and (Former) Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that Peter’s Mill is sort of…um…anticlimactic if you’ve done trails in Moab, but there’s a few spots near the south end that would make it difficult (or a non-starter) for a sedan. I’d also say it's perfect trail for new Jeepers and/or those who haven’t done any sort of trail before, and I think earning a badge for it makes draws folks further into the Jeep lifestyle. It’s like a “starter drug” for jeeps. ;)
Sponsored