Plastic rocker guards for 2 door?

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door
Does anyone know of a company that makes plastic rocker panel guards for a 2021 2 door.
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Why would you want plastic? It won't hold up to any kind of trail impact.
Some people don’t hardcore off-road

I have the bushwhacker plastic ones on my 4 door, do you see them for a two door?

OP
OP
xsaltlifex

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would you want plastic? It won't hold up to any kind of trail impact.
I don't want to drill holes in my jeep. I live on a 2 mile long gravel road and the rocks are killing my rockers! Just looking for a cheap quick fix right now.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Does anyone know of a company that makes plastic rocker panel guards for a 2021 2 door.
I just bought a set of Bushwhacker sill/rocker guards for our 2 door 2021. They provide the coverage no other product seems to.

We like them a lot.....though I had an issue....

They use a version of 3m molding tape which usually works really well.

Driver side installed fine for the most part –one very tiny section that came unstuck, at the very end. Probably me not prepping well enough.

Passenger side installed but I am not sure if it was my technique or the part, the end sections on the rear of it (circled below) – the flap that extends out, the flap that sticks under the fender flair, and also the part that covers the pinch welds at the very bottom --came unstuck to the vehicle……about 6-8 inches of each after about a week. This looked sloppy and I know that dirt would accumulate behind there and cause abrasion/rust issues.

While installing originally I did notice some tension against it caused by what seemed to be a slight gap but I figured the tape would bond and that would be that. It was fine for a week or so but then at some point, the rear lower area “popped” away from the body. After a rain, gunk and such got behind there and obviously ruined the stickiness of the tape.

Yesterday I used some heat and patience I got the sill/rockerprotector off (wasn’t easy at all in the areas that stuck well which was most of it) and figured I would reclean everything and take another stab at reinstalling the passenger side using a roll of 3M super-strength automotive double sided tape from the parts store.

Problem is --- the 3M product is nowhere near thick enough as compared to what BW provided with the unit.

And it looks like the extra thickness is needed just to make contact and also to keep the raised lips around the perimeter of the rocker guard from digging in to the paint. I tried to take a pic of the 3m tape versus what was on the part.

The stuff Bushwhacker provides seems to be almost 3 times as think as the 3M stuff I can get. If I try the 3m tape in some of the areas , the surface of the tape falls way below the raised lips of the part. So it will never stick.

So my question is – where can I find the correct double sided tape so I can do a reinstall? I reached out to BW and will see what they say.

But I am pretty sure this issue was caused by me rushing the install. Driver side is great.

This vehicle is a lease so the thing that I liked about this product is that it can theoretically be removed (and reused).

Overall, once I get this issue fixed, though, love them.

They will prevent chips and small dings/scrapes on the rockers....and they cover way more of the sills than the mopar parts and other brands.

Will they stand up to being smashed against a boulder while squeezing between two other boulders? Probably not. LOL

But they are inexpensive and a great stop gap...and no drilling.

Here is the link, but note that the image on their site does not match what I got....I like what I got better. :)

https://www.bushwacker.com/trail-armor-rocker-panel/2021/jeep/wrangler

Hope this helps you out!

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic rocker guards for 2 door? IMG_20210407_141113016

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic rocker guards for 2 door? IMG_20210407_141123980

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic rocker guards for 2 door? IMG_20210413_153459837

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I just bought a set of Bushwhacker sill/rocker guards for our 2 door 2021. They provide the coverage no other product seems to.

Driver side installed fine for the most part –one very tiny section that came unstuck, at the very end. Probably me not prepping well enough.

Passenger side installed but I am not sure if it was my technique or the part, the end sections on the rear of it (circled below) – the flap that extends out, the flap that sticks under the fender flair, and also the part that covers the pinch welds at the very bottom --came unstuck to the vehicle……about 6-8 inches of each after about a week. This looked sloppy and I know that dirt would accumulate behind there and cause abrasion/rust issues.

While installing originally I did notice some tension against it caused by what seemed to be a slight gap but I figured the tape would bond and that would be that. It was fine for a week or so but then at some point, the rear lower area “popped” away from the body. After a rain, gunk and such got behind there and obviously ruined the stickiness of the tape.

Yesterday I used some heat and patience I got the sill/rockerprotector off (wasn’t easy at all in the areas that stuck well which was most of it) and figured I would reclean everything and take another stab at reinstalling the passenger side using a roll of 3M super-strength automotive double sided tape from the parts store.

Problem is --- the 3M product is nowhere near thick enough as compared to what BW provided with the unit.

And it looks like the extra thickness is needed just to make contact and also to keep the raised lips around the perimeter of the rocker guard from digging in to the paint. I tried to take a pic of the 3m tape versus what was on the part.

The stuff Bushwhacker provides seems to be almost 3 times as think as the 3M stuff I can get. If I try the 3m tape in some of the areas , the surface of the tape falls way below the raised lips of the part. So it will never stick.

So my question is – where can I find the correct double sided tape so I can do a reinstall? I reached out to BW and will see what they say.

But I am pretty sure this issue was caused by me rushing the install. Driver side is great.

This vehicle is a lease so the thing that I liked about this product is that it can theoretically be removed (and reused).

They will prevent chips and small dings/scrapes on the rockers....and they cover way more of the sills than the mopar parts and other brands.

Will they stand up to being smashed against a boulder while squeezing between two other boulders? Probably not. LOL

Here is the link, but note that the image on their site does not match what I got....I like what I got better. :)

Hope this helps you out!

i've had great luck with this (not for this application though, but i wouldnt hesitate to try it) https://www.amazon.com/Transparent-...5&sprefix=3m+double+side,aps,178&sr=8-10&th=1

Sponsored

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Yeah.....1 mm thickness... that seems about the same as the 3m Auto tape I have,,,and its not think enough...

Here is a shot of the stuff that came with the things versus the 3M stuff I have......

IMG_20210418_181903293.jpg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You might get more protection by using the plastic side steps, Amazon has inexpensive ones, they come with mounting fasteners, easy to install. Keep crap from flying up, dinging and coating the sides, hinges, etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
xsaltlifex

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Hope this helps you out!

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic rocker guards for 2 door? IMG_20210418_181903293

That's exactly what I am looking for! Thanks so much for all the information! I work with 3m double sided tape a lot at work. A little tip I can give you is to wipe down the area you are applying it to with acetone it will remove the wax and contaminates but will not hurt your paint. If the area is clean when applied the 3m tape is almost impossible to remove.
Sponsored