Plastic Fuel Lines?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was under my JLUR this morning and I recall the fuel pump failure thread where the OP mentioned the dealer said a sensor was bad. I found the sensor on the parts pages of Mopar. The fuel line comes out of the tank and turns inboard to the side of the transmission and runs along the trans and up trans bell housing on the right upper quadrant. I was thinking maybe I'd get a spare to have around just in-case.

So I'm looking at how hard it is to change this sensor. They have the sensor permanently attached to the fuel line as one assembly, which disconnects behind a splash/rock shield on the front of the tank and the other end is about half way up the back of the bell housing. I may be mistaken, but the fuel lines look like they're PLASTIC. The whole line is about 4 feet long and has bends in it which make it difficult to carry a spare. The special clamps for the fuel line disconnects are situated in difficult places, one in the upper part of the bell tunnel and the other behind a rock guard. Thanks a lot, Jeepđź–•
Sponsored

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was under my JLUR this morning and I recall the fuel pump failure thread where the OP mentioned the dealer said a sensor was bad. I found the sensor on the parts pages of Mopar. The fuel line comes out of the tank and turns inboard to the side of the transmission and runs along the trans and up trans bell housing on the right upper quadrant. I was thinking maybe I'd get a spare to have around just in-case.

So I'm looking at how hard it is to change this sensor. They have the sensor permanently attached to the fuel line as one assembly, which disconnects behind a splash/rock shield on the front of the tank and the other end is about half way up the back of the bell housing. I may be mistaken, but the fuel lines look like they're PLASTIC. The whole line is about 4 feet long and has bends in it which make it difficult to carry a spare. The special clamps for the fuel line disconnects are situated in difficult places, one in the upper part of the bell tunnel and the other behind a rock guard. Thanks a lot, Jeepđź–•
Plastic/nylon fuel lines are very common... at work we repair rusted out/leaking fuel lines with nylon repairs all the time. Very common on newer vehicles.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't know how they can justify to their system safety design oversight the use of thermoplastic fuel lines. A small fire quickly melts this stuff and it becomes a gasoline/fuel fed fire. I guess they're counting on you and your little kids strapped in car seats gettin out pretty damn quick once the fuel line melts thru. WTF? :lipssealed::clap:

Anyway, the sensor (#1 below) is an inseparable part of the fuel line that runs from basically the tank to the back of the injector fuel rail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic Fuel Lines? fuel press sensor

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic Fuel Lines? fuel press sensor upper disconn

Jeep Wrangler JL Plastic Fuel Lines? 20211205_134757

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What kind of insane worry is that? Don’t hang out in cars that are on fire. Fuel lines are plastic on every vehicle.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What kind of insane worry is that? Don’t hang out in cars that are on fire. Fuel lines are plastic on every vehicle.
not my truck
Sponsored