Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
This has to be a troll thread

Overwatch, what branch of the service were you in, where’d you deploy and what MOS? 7 years Army here.
Sponsored

CaliforniaWheelin'

First Name
Sullivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JK
Solid idea. If it rotates

My thought was that I have mounts and lasers used in combat that hold a zero through helicopter rides, they should be able to take the Jeep vibration...maybe, I know it's a different type of force being used. Another option BTW for color are blue lasers. I have seen number at the latest IDEX trade show that were blue, and most had slow blinking built in as a setting.
I would recommend against using ANY lasers, but would definitely advise against blue or red more than any other colors (think police cars). You live in LA according to your bio and this will get you some attention…

OP
OP
Overwatch

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
This has to be a troll thread

Overwatch, what branch of the service were you in, where’d you deploy and what MOS? 7 years Army here.
Why would you think it's a troll thread? You have been a little weird about this since the beginning man, is that why? I truly think this is a great idea, and I mistakenly thought others would as well. Two small laser dots, at bumper height, to help with tight spots. I never thought it would be this weird to people. It's just using technology to help. As for my military life I usually keep it much more private than this thread. If we were in the rock garden together than you understand. If not than I still love the Army grunts and some of them have my eternal gratitude. Feel free to PM me on that one.

Sponsored

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I'm kind of confused why all the fuss about lasers? I guess those who are concerned about the safe uses of lasers are unfamiliar with autonomous vehicles. They use LiDAR, a spinning 16/32 laser sensor that emits billions of photons per second. It's the same laser technology that's been used in concerts, sporting events, barcode scanners etc for decades.

Just take your iPhone 13Pro, use a BulletPoint cell phone holder and use the LiDAR in your phone. Should be able to measure anything in front of it..

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm kind of confused why all the fuss about lasers? I guess those who are concerned about the safe uses of lasers are unfamiliar with autonomous vehicles.
It’s all in good fun, especially since one of the use cases listed by the OP was navigating around double-parked soccer moms. That’s all.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
Is this for real? A laser to make sure your jeep will fit? I think time would be better spent at the driving academy.

OP
OP
Overwatch

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Is this for real? A laser to make sure your jeep will fit? I think time would be better spent at the driving academy.
So you don’t believe in any of the new JL features? No cross traffic alerts, active cruise control or alerts for cars next to you? Nothing that uses lasers to help guide the jeep. Fine. The best part is no one actually cares if you hate technology. Enjoy your CJ.

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
I thought that was the point of a Jeep. To have fun driving, not have the jeep drive me.

Sponsored

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I have had this idea for years on my JK and never did it…I want to mount two green lasers, one on each side of the Jeep…The idea is all these times when I'm just not sure if I can squeeze between two trucks, rocks or trees I just turn them on…I have access to military parts…
You should get a setup that can simply make a hole big enough for your jeep to fit through.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
So you don’t believe in any of the new JL features? No cross traffic alerts, active cruise control or alerts for cars next to you? Nothing that uses lasers to help guide the jeep. Fine. The best part is no one actually cares if you hate technology. Enjoy your CJ.
To be fair, I think most blind spot monitors and dynamic cruise control systems are still RADAR. But your point still stands.

Sorry you are getting weird negative responses to your idea, OP. I think that it is something that could be useful, if used with consideration. I hope you actually develop it into something you can use.

Parallel laser photogrammetry for measuring animal size in the field has been popular for quite a few years now, I think. It uses two parallel (usually green!) lasers shining upon a subject, and fancy pants cheesy software to estimate total length or height or whatever. The main idea is being able to project a known measurement/scale at distance and estimating from there. E.g. shine parallel green dots exactly one foot apart at a giraffe's flank or shark's side, and then calculate size based on how many dot-lengths it is in an image capture.

If you project four equidistant dots from the jeep, two from the grill and two from fenders/cowl/mirrors or whatnot, and all parallel to the axis of the jeep, onto the roadway, you'd be able to closely estimate the width of the jeep.

If just two lasers, the two outer cowl bolts would be sturdy enough for a rail mount. Mount them parallel, pointed at the ground in front of the jeep and factor the reduced width into your calculation.

It might be "cheating", but this is already a vehicle with ABS, traction control, automatic hill descent control, some brake-limited low-speed anti-slip traction acronym that I can't remember, and digital everything else. If you want a neat feature that you made yourself that will help you personally, go for it, so long as it isn't hurting anyone else. Just be prepared to take the heat if anyone complains or if it hurts someone.

Two little intermittent laser dots can't be worse than all the stupid lightbars and cubes I see on 24/7 anyway.

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
It might be "cheating", but this is already a vehicle with ABS, traction control, automatic hill descent control, some brake-limited low-speed anti-slip traction acronym that I can't remember, and digital everything else. If you want a neat feature that you made yourself that will help you personally, go for it, so long as it isn't hurting anyone else. Just be prepared to take the heat if anyone complains or if it hurts someone.
the acronym you were forgetting is BLD - Brake Lock Differentials