Phone Holder Alternatives?

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
@schwizzie thanks for the reply. Sure looks like you had to disassemble half the dash. I was hoping to avoid that, it looks complicated.

I'll check this out more closely. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ghost7th

Ghost7th

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
"A couple of installation questions. Do you think it would damage or change the flex of the ProClip if you drilled a whole in the "arm" to install a GoPro type mount?

If you mount a cell phone, tablet and camera, for example, how do you power them? I'd rather not run the USB connectors up the front of the dash but I don't want to totally dismantle the dash to run the wires. Is there a way to fish them from behind the dash?

It might be nice to be able to use Apple CardPlay as well. "

The flex on the bracket is strong enough to allow the dash mount to "snap" in place. I am not an engineer but I would not hesitate to mount a GoPro on mine if I had the need. The other option would be to buy the heavy duty mount: it has the same dash mounting bracket but the phone mounting part is very large. This would allow you the room to add additional mounts.

https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/dashboard-mounts/9610-jeep-wrangler/2020 The extra strength mount is only $4.00 more than the standard mount.

schwizzie

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@schwizzie thanks for the reply. Sure looks like you had to disassemble half the dash. I was hoping to avoid that, it looks complicated.

It’s not bad at all. The climate control bank just pulls straight off and you unplug some connectors from the back. This give you access to the head unit screws. Once the head unit is hanging, you can cut the hole in the dash tray with a utility knife and until the usb connector clicks firmly into place and then you just fish the wire down the dash, and then under the e-brake area, and then reach under the back of the loosened center console (from the back seat) and find the hole you drilled to fish the wire into your center console compartment. It really was pretty easy. Most annoying part is at the back of the center console.

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR

Definitely looks a little intimidating but here’s a good video of removal if you decide to do it. Thinking about doing this USB cable myself.

Sponsored

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Hope all that stuff works, can't see through the window! is that even legal?
It all works great and from the drivers seat you can see just fine.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Proclip here and Ram X mount. My Radar detector Velcros to top. I just run the wire to the 12v socket. Not in the way. I like that Bullitproof and Ram also makes a similar one and from this thread sounds like 67 also. I would try that too Except my radar detector (V1) sits perfectly on this Proclip

766D4043-5DEF-4E65-BA2B-A5F26108562D.jpeg

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
This is an excellent idea! I'm running a ProClip with their phone holder which sits a bit high for my taste. I love this idea of combining it with a RAM plate and arm, plus it creates a useful location for a radar mounted on top.

Proclip here and Ram X mount. My Radar detector Velcros to top. I just run the wire to the 12v socket. Not in the way. I like that Bullitproof and Ram also makes a similar one and from this thread sounds like 67 also. I would try that too Except my radar detector (V1) sits perfectly on this Proclip

Jeep Wrangler JL Phone Holder Alternatives? 766D4043-5DEF-4E65-BA2B-A5F26108562D

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This is an excellent idea! I'm running a ProClip with their phone holder which sits a bit high for my taste. I love this idea of combining it with a RAM plate and arm, plus it creates a useful location for a radar mounted on top.
Exactly. The Ram with the longer arm gets the phone down and out of the way better. Also what is cool is you can loosen the Ram bolt, rotate the arm up and video whats ahead with your phone! Works great.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. The Ram with the longer arm gets the phone down and out of the way better. Also what is cool is you can loosen the Ram bolt, rotate the arm up and video whats ahead with your phone! Works great.
Proclip is having a 15% SPOOKY15 sale

Sponsored

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
Love love love my magnetic scoche Mont.
Simple and inexpensive
Just slap backplate on device and magnetic mount.

Protip order two and you have one for your counter top and they have suction cup mounts.

GunnarJeep44

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
I added a wireless charger to my console lid. So it is also a place to hold my phone.

Jeep Wrangler JL Phone Holder Alternatives? 766D4043-5DEF-4E65-BA2B-A5F26108562D
Looks awesome. Saw this on another thread. How hard was it to install? I did watch the install video but curious for a reaction. Thanks.

GunnarJeep44

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
If you do not need to have your phone in at Eye level I recommend the phone holder from Gibson leather
https://gibsonleatherworks.com/jeep-jl/jt-phone-holster
i had mine for over a year and love how it it out of the way but easy to get too.

considering this as well, looks great. Two questions if you don’t mind (1) how does it attach? Just curious if it were to leave any long term damage if removed or if its a safety issue to fall off during trail runs and end up under the pedals and (2) do you find it matches the Rubicon stitching nicely or does it stand out?

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Looks awesome. Saw this on another thread. How hard was it to install? I did watch the install video but curious for a reaction. Thanks.
The install difficulty was about a 2 out of 10, so fairly easy. Just be aware of how you route the wires so that the wires do not fatigue after opening/closing the console lid hundreds of times.

I did not use the provided splice devices. I do not care for them. I stripped and soldered all electrical connections.

WIJLU

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
I've used Pro-clip in other vehicles and it was great! 67 designs is such a slick set up for jeeps....I love their rail system and went with that for my JL.
Sponsored