Sponsored

Performance air filter question

efreyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I was thinking about changing the stock air filter on my JLR with a MOPAR performance one (P5160245AA). It is the same one that comes with CAI kit. My prior Wrangler was a JK and I remember that the CAI on that had the propensity allow bigger dust particles in and mess up the engine. I ended up going with the K & N with that one and never had an issue with my dealer arguing with service issues regarding my Max Care plan. Because the air filter I listed comes with JL CAI going to have the same issues as the JK one, or is it closer to the K & N (which it resembles). I am being more particular about going with MOPAR, because my current dealer has been troublesome with non-MOPAR mods.
Sponsored

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
The only way a performance air filter can work is to let larger particles in.
If you think you might get dicked on warranty buy it from them and have them install it - how could they argue then ?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
If your dealer is a stickler enough to give you problems for a simple drop-in panel air filter, let alone a compatible Mopar-branded one sold in the Jeep Performance Parts catalog, then they'd likely also give you grief for not having it installed in the Mopar JL cold air intake system (77072433AC) as designed, and then again for not having the ugly hood cut-out installed, and then again for not having the intake system connected to the Mopar JL snorkel (82215350).

Not to be deceptive or anything, but if you want to be 100% safe, just keep one of your paper filters and swap it out before any service (also good to have on hand for days you're cleaning/drying your washable/reusable filter).

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's some pics of the Mopar performance filter. It looks like an improvement over the paper filter to me, but I am not aware actual air flow metrics. It is dry and not oiled like a K&N.

Jeep Wrangler JL Performance air filter question mopar air filter 1

Bottom
Jeep Wrangler JL Performance air filter question mopar air filter 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Performance air filter question mopar air filter 3

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The factory engineers, have calculated the air flow needed, with absolute micron filtration. Why would one want to change that?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
The factory engineers, have calculated the air flow needed, with absolute micron filtration. Why would one want to change that?
The stock filter is the best filter.
Lol. You guys know that this exact filter (along with the upper Mopar box and pipe) is also a factory-installed option. So are the Jeep engineers somehow infallible for creating the most ideal paper filter known to man, while also being incompetent for designing an optional high-flow filter that somehow isn't as suitable for the same application?

I'm sure the stock paper filter is just fine, and I'm pretty sure this one isn't too bad either (likely a slight improvement in airflow while sacrificing a bit of filtration). Jeep themselves states it increases performance, but what do they know? ;)

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
Just change the stock filter every 10k. Overkill but still cheaper.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Just change the stock filter every 10k. Overkill but still cheaper.
How do you figure? Their reusable high-flow filter retails for $120 and regularly sells for $100, while their paper filter retails for $31 and sells for $22 at best. You'd break even at 4 to 5 years of ownership at that rate. Though the paper one's definitely cheaper in the long run, if you're changing them every 3 years as recommended. Not that a $100 part is really gonna break the bank for Jeepers that easily spend that much on high-quality mall recovery gear and rubber duckies every month 😄

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I see absolutely no reason to spend extra money on air filters. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) monitors and adjusts parameters such as timing, fuel/air mixture, etc to maintain optimum performance. We keep thinking we can bolt on CAI or use more expensive filters to improve performance. IMO unless you are adding a turbo or supercharger, you are wasting your money. But if it makes you feel better, then go for it.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
This is hilarious. I remember all the wanna be street racers in the 90’s bolting on CAI, headers, exhaust on 98hp Civics. Bumped that HP to an astounding 98.1

What’s next, a double decker wing on a Jeep? 😂