Sponsored

Passenger Airbag Indicator Light

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Upon start up, I see the little “airbag off” symbol above where the passenger airbag thing is but shortly after it turns off no matter what—doesn’t matter if someone is sitting or not sitting in the seat. I’d think if no one is in the seat it would remain off and the icon would remain lit up but mine goes off every time. Any one else’s JL act like this?

Pic for reference

E3C59DF8-CAF8-4C3B-A6E3-90FA7B46D58C.jpeg
Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Mine does this too. I think I read somewhere that light only stays on (and airbag off) if the object in the passenger seat is a certain weight that would make airbag deployment dangerous.

Otherwise, the airbag stays on and light off as normal procedure.

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T 2019
Upon start up, I see the little “airbag off” symbol above where the passenger airbag thing is but shortly after it turns off no matter what—doesn’t matter if someone is sitting or not sitting in the seat. I’d think if no one is in the seat it would remain off and the icon would remain lit up but mine goes off every time. Any one else’s JL act like this?

Pic for reference

E3C59DF8-CAF8-4C3B-A6E3-90FA7B46D58C.jpeg
Hi, I'm a new JL owner (and new to the forum) but found the forum after searching on airbag behaviour... mine acts like yours (uk 2019 JL sahara) and shows the airbag off light only while starting then goes to show the airbag on warning not to put a child seat in the car. all my searching led to suggest that the airbag light should go off when a child or light person is in the seat but that wasnt ever happening and eventually I found you can manually go to vehicle settings on the dash (clock dash not touch screen) using the steering wheel controlls and then turn the airbag off there to make it safe for child seats etc if needed.

OP
OP
Ntegtmeyer

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Hi, I'm a new JL owner (and new to the forum) but found the forum after searching on airbag behaviour... mine acts like yours (uk 2019 JL sahara) and shows the airbag off light only while starting then goes to show the airbag on warning not to put a child seat in the car. all my searching led to suggest that the airbag light should go off when a child or light person is in the seat but that wasnt ever happening and eventually I found you can manually go to vehicle settings on the dash (clock dash not touch screen) using the steering wheel controlls and then turn the airbag off there to make it safe for child seats etc if needed.
Interesting, I don’t think I have the ability to do that on mine. Could you possibly post pics of the menu options so I could take a better look? Thanks!

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5059.jpg
IMG_5060.jpg
IMG_5061.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg
Interesting, I don’t think I have the ability to do that on mine. Could you possibly post pics of the menu options so I could take a better look? Thanks!

Sure... I never need much of an excuse to go sit in the Jeep it seems :) , sorry for the glare, I didn't realise the lens was smudged a bit.

Sponsored

Bluandwht86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 JLR
IMG_5058.jpg
IMG_5059.jpg
IMG_5060.jpg
IMG_5061.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg

Sure... I never need much of an excuse to go sit in the Jeep it seems :) , sorry for the glare, I didn't realise the lens was smudged a bit.
Neither of my JL’s have this screen. It looks like you are in the UK and must have different menus. US spec doesn’t have that menu.

43AD99EA-741E-4FD6-A77D-BEFA4EA4A26B.jpeg

C2221427-4205-41BC-9A49-3F19FA36D7B9.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Neither of my JL’s have this screen. It looks like you are in the UK and must have different menus. US spec doesn’t have that menu.

interesting,,, I have the screen setup option you have too and the vehicle settings menu I showed in my pictures is directly below it in the dash cycle. Maybe USA JL's are auto off as stated earlier in this thread... its kinda rare for cars to not be auto here on the Airbag. I spent ages putting bags and stuff on the seat to see if the light would change before I found this setting! :)