Sponsored

passenger airbag ligh

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Is the passenger airbag off light supposed to be on when there is no passanger? Of is the light only on when there is a passenger that is too light?

20180830_121410.jpg
Sponsored

lagunajim

Those lights always bug the sh%t out of me. I put black tape neatly over them. I've had vehicles where the light is theoretically supposed to turn itself off after a few minutes, but never did. Also putting a grocery bag on the seat makes it think there's a baby..

*disclaimer: I am not officially advising anyone to modify any safety feature of their vehicle yadda

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
The airbag "off" light is only supposed to illuminate with every start up (as a system test) or if the passenger seatbelt IS buckled but not enough weight in the seat to be safe to deploy the airbag

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Is there a switch somewhere to turn the passenger airbag on/off?

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Yes, however the switch is built into the seat. So if it detects the right amount of weight, it’ll turn it on. If a lighter person sits in the front seen like a younger teen, and they don’t weigh enough it’ll sense it and you’ll see the indicator light up which means the Jeep turned it off. There isn’t a manual switch like in some vehicle that you use the key to turn it off or on.

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T 2019
Hi, I'm new to this forum (as I'm a new JL owner) and found this as I was looking to turn off the passenger airbag and all my other cars did it automatically based on the weight of the passenger (UK requirement) and all searching led to forums stating as much but my findings are different...

Now I'm not sure if the UK JL is different to the USA ones but as you start the car up you get a "passenger airbag off" light and once the car is running after a few seconds the "off" light goes out and the Airbag warning light comes on and stays on (stating you shouldn't have a child seat there in its image)...

Its legal for children in what we call group 3 to sit in the front here in an appropriate seat with seatbelt guides and booster but the airbag must be disabled.

In my JL to turn it off I found that on the steering controlls I press up until vehicle settings is visible (on the centre of the clock dash not the touch screen) then select this... then select passenger airbag, then change it to off, then confirm with yes and the light immediately says off... same process in reverse to turn it on...

so for UK 2019 JL's at least there seems to be no weight sensor in the passenger seat and its a manual process on the dash and putting your child in the front with the passenger airbag light illuminated could be dangerous.

Hope this helps anyone still looking !
Sponsored