Sponsored

Oversized Spare tire solutions

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
So I just priced out the Mopar solution for a bigger spare tire (35")
Swing gate reinforcement (P/N 82215355) $544
Oversize spare tire carrier mod kit (P/N 82215356AB) - $239
3rd brake light reel kit (82215349) - $70
Total - $853

Can we list here some of the other options? I am still waiting on my rig but want to get this addressed before she get here.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Weird no replies.

I have done a bit of research and asking around. Seems like many folks including Rebel OffRoad said that with a 35" the stock carrier is fine. They have had a beadlock 35 on for a while now and no issues.

Not sure other than the Mopar example right now what else is out there to reinforce it or go totally separate part.

Tridgerat

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just put on 315/70R17's yesterday and I squeezed it on the stock carrier with the stock wheels. It bends the light back but it actually fits fine and isn't noticeably out of place.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm waiting for rear bumpers that have a tire carrier. I think overall it's better to carry the extra weight on the bumper vs the tailgate.

Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
I just did the RC relocation bracket: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-spare-tire-relocation-plate-10526.html

I'm using 315/70/17 BFG KO2 on stock Rubicon wheels which is on the lighter side for 35's.
I have a question for you regarding this bracket. Firstly do you have park assist? Because my park assist is not working because my new 35" tires block the sensors enough to auto disable. So my question would be would I know the 2" would clear the rear bumper but will it clear the park assist sensors? I would assume so but I would rather have it verified by someone that has the bracket. Let me know, thanks.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I have a question for you regarding this bracket. Firstly do you have park assist? Because my park assist is not working because my new 35" tires block the sensors enough to auto disable. So my question would be would I know the 2" would clear the rear bumper but will it clear the park assist sensors? I would assume so but I would rather have it verified by someone that has the bracket. Let me know, thanks.
I do have park assist and with this setup I have no issues whatsoever.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Maybe there is something that needs to be calibrated...or re-calibrated for that to work??? I'm puzzled about that.

EMJeep

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Smittybilt has a spare relocation bracket for $80. Very similar to the RC version. Not sure if the RC bracket has these but the Smittybilt bracket has tabs in place to relocate the bumpstops as well. You’ll want that tire to be very stable.

I don’t have park assist so no comment on that one.. sorry.

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do have park assist and with this setup I have no issues whatsoever.
Good to hear but did you have issues with park assist before the bracket?

Sponsored

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe there is something that needs to be calibrated...or re-calibrated for that to work??? I'm puzzled about that.
I doubt something exists but if the solution is a bracket to lift the tire 2" I'm game. My problem is we have 3 issues here 1. Tire Relocation 2. Camera Obstruction and 3. Tailgate Reinforcement. If I buy the bracket that will only fix 1 of the 3 issues. Aftermarket makers should make something that resolves all three problems. Lift the wheel\tire, push out the camera, and be mounted to tailgate a way that will not damage the tailgate. I did find a solution that will fix 2 issues but not the camera. The DV8 will relocate and reinforce but does nothing about the camera. I think I'd rather this than the bracket.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/dv8-offroad-tailgatemounted-tire-carrier-2018-jl.html

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't try to mount the 35's without it knowing it wouldn't fit.
Got ya, mine fit just have these few issues now.
Sponsored