Sponsored

Oversized tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement necessary for JLU?

Jdaddy169

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jlu sahara
Hi I was curious to know if its necessary to put an oversized tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement on a 2019 sahara? I currently run 35s with stock carrier, rc relocation bracket and stock tailgate.

I plan I driving across the country.

Thank you
Sponsored

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hi I was curious to know if its necessary to put an oversized tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement on a 2019 sahara? I currently run 35s with stock carrier, rc relocation bracket and stock tailgate.

Thank you
My wife's setup is identical to yours. I extended the tail gate bumpers so the tire is snug against the rubber. She doesn't take this jeep off road but we've had no issues. I do check it occasionally, no rattles, hinge drop etc.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You should be fine for street driving, as.long a the relocation bracket doesn"t.push the tire too far out.

OP
OP

Jdaddy169

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jlu sahara
My wife's setup is identical to yours. I extended the tail gate bumpers so the tire is snug against the rubber. She doesn't take this jeep off road but we've had no issues. I do check it occasionally, no rattles, hinge drop etc.

Thanks for the info! What did you use to extend the bumpers?

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Thank you
I've been running a 17" beadlock and 37's on my MOPAR carrier and reinforcement bracket for a while now. I've been wheeling across the country with no issues at all. You'll be good to go, but getting the rubber stopper adjusted for your wheel/tire set-up is vital for everything to be OK.

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X

freddiegs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
What does this actually reinforce? Are you not just adding more weight to the tailgate by adding this? Not being a smart ass. I just don't see the benefit
Looks like it should work to me may not be the best and beefiest option but definitely is stronger as it implements more mounting bolts to stabilize the gate to the actual hinges.

ArmorAPLarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Compass

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
Looks like it should work to me may not be the best and beefiest option but definitely is stronger as it implements more mounting bolts to stabilize the gate to the actual hinges.
So maybe I am confused. Is the point to get weight off gate or hinges

Sponsored

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
there is only two options that actually change the hinges and actually reinforce the gate if you ask me, I just received the Rugged Ridge setup, will post some pics and info once I get it installed. I run a 35 with a 315, but the aftermarket rhino wheel I am holding is really heavy. It does not move off road etc, but I can see the sag already from the weight over time. I would invest in the evo or the rugged ridge setup and get the actual new hinges if you plan on off-roading, but all the others will work if you don't plan on upgrading the tire wheel size or off road much.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/tire-carriers/3032b-evo-manufacturing-hd-hinge-tire-carrier-black

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ugged-ridge-tire-carrier-and-brake-light-ring

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
there is only two options that actually change the hinges and actually reinforce the gate if you ask me, I just received the Rugged Ridge setup, will post some pics and info once I get it installed. I run a 35 with a 315, but the aftermarket rhino wheel I am holding is really heavy. It does not move off road etc, but I can see the sag already from the weight over time. I would invest in the evo or the rugged ridge setup and get the actual new hinges if you plan on off-roading, but all the others will work if you don't plan on upgrading the tire wheel size or off road much.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/tire-carriers/3032b-evo-manufacturing-hd-hinge-tire-carrier-black

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ugged-ridge-tire-carrier-and-brake-light-ring
I just recieved the Rugged Ridge kit yesterday. The hinges are super stiff and nearly impossibly to move. A bunch of WD40 and a mallet was the only way to get them to move. Are yours like this as well?

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just recieved the Rugged Ridge kit yesterday. The hinges are super stiff and nearly impossibly to move. A bunch of WD40 and a mallet was the only way to get them to move. Are yours like this as well?
Will let you know, mine is getting delivered in like an hour or less, that would suck! but I am guessing after some use they will swivel pretty good. Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Will let you know, mine is getting delivered in like an hour or less, that would suck! but I am guessing after some use they will swivel pretty good. Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Keep me posted for sure. I planned on installing today but will hold off to hear back.

I haven't contacted them. I just opened it last night. Sprayed it with a bunch of WD40 and let it sit over night. Now they will actually move but still very difficult. I messaged Tech Tim on here from Northridge. Hopefully he will be on today. He has installed them previously so he will know.

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was using a Sahara through the dealer with the mopar lift and 35x12.5 duratrac's with some fuel wheels 20 inch, and it had the Mopar reinforcement setup and when I was driving the wheel was bouncing all over!! I cannot even imagine that setup off road, the gate was soooo weighed down, I would seriously go against the Mopar reinforcement with the little bumper kit, also look at the price!!! to add more weight to the gate that is already stressed!! I get the idea of backing with more mounting points and strengthening the gate for flex, but the issue of the hinges seems to be the real issue, at least from I have found in the gate sag.

IMG_3577.jpg
Sponsored