Sponsored

Oversized tire carrier and tailgate reinforcement necessary for JLU?

FitBliss

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Limited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine in had an issue getting the camera out off the stock setup but everything else worked great! Snapped the camera cable might have to replace the line or camera, but the cameras are cheap. Was reallly stiff on the hinges but after install works great just needs weight on them :like:

F33706BA-D83D-4CFB-86F0-CB0CB6BFB2F9.jpeg
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That much cantilevered weight is going to cause metal fatigue at some point, it's pretty simple physics. The oldest JLs are what, 2 years old? Problems are on their way. Get a bumper or frame-mounted carrier and never worry about it again.
Exactly, we don't know exactly what the problems will be yet or how long. I'm guessing it's unlikely to be catastrophic or leave me stranded so I'm willing to watch and "see how it goes"

The weight's not really cantilevered when the gate is closed, which is 99% of the time.

I have no doubt larger spares are pushing the limits of the hinges, but I'm not convinced they're far exceeding them, either. I understand Jeep has a numerical value on paper, but I'm less concerned with that than empirical data which will come in time.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The weight's not really cantilevered when the gate is closed, which is 99% of the time.
When the tailgate is open, the weight of the tailgate and the spare is cantilevered off your hinges. When your tailgate is closed, the entire weight of the spare is still cantilevered off your tailgate.

chiggerdude

First Name
Brian Head
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR and a 2010 JK - 2010 JK Sport
Vehicle Showcase

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not sure how much credibility people give the Way-A-Life guy on here...but he addressed this very question in this video.

It appears the tailgate is made from a single magnesium shell and is more than strong enough for a properly mounted 35” and even the interior mounted accessories.

Reactions: TJP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how much credibility people give the Way-A-Life guy on here...but he addressed this very question in this video.

It appears the tailgate is made from a single magnesium shell and is more than strong enough for a properly mounted 35” and even the interior mounted accessories.
the gate is definitely not steel —not magnetic. I like the way Rustys hooked up
Sponsored