Sponsored

Overland NOOB question

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My family wants to start doing some overlanding in our 2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I have a total NOOB question here but again I am just getting started.

My current hardtop is painted. I am thinking of getting a used second hardtop on the cheap, attaching a roof rack and then installing a large rooftop tent for myself, wife and 3 kids (all 8 years old or younger). At the end of my weekend excursions, I would take the hardtop off that has the roof rack on it and reinstall my painted hardtop as I head back into the office for the week.

Any flaws in my logic here or things to watch out for?
Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I mean what’s the point of having two hard tops? Might as well just stick with the one top and save the money for other stuff or get a soft top that offers something else. Having a rack and tent wouldn’t hurt anything.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
You can do this with the Rhino Rack, it keeps the same nuts for the hardtop removal plus a new set up front.

But I don’t really see the point, if you don’t want to drill into your painted hardtop there are some other options.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you for your response. I need a rooftop tent big enough for five. What kind of options are out there that would support that kind of weight without drilling into the hardtop?

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your response. I need a rooftop tent big enough for five. What kind of options are out there that would support that kind of weight without drilling into the hardtop?
If you don’t want to drill the top, going to have to get one of the ones that goes around it. Gobi, or there are some others.

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Smittybilt Overlander XL is the rtt I use. There are definitely more expensive tents but this one is large. That said, when we go on our trips, it is four of us and it can still be tight up there with the four of us. Since we have gotten the tent we have kind of dialed in our setup and figured out what we need and don't need so it has saved space up there.

Going back to your previous question, I have one hardtop and I installed the Rhino-Rack backbone system with the Pioneer Platform, but you said you don't want to drill into your top. If you have two tops, why not? Otherwise, you'll probably have to get something like a Gobi Rack, which is an external rack, but I bet that makes it tough to switch tops. If you have any question about my set up-feel free to let me know or you can check my Instagram: @AtlanticOverland

I think you are making a good choice with the rtt; my boys absolutely love the tent and camping is one of their favorite activities because of it. One tip, fans for your rtt. I got two on Amazon and they are amazing!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
My wife and I are cutting our teeth on overlanding too. We aren't looking at a RTT instead went with a ground tent. We're going to be packed to the gills with the tent, small fridge, water cans, sleeping bags, food, stove, first aid, power tank, recovery gear, etc... I even put in one of those shelves over the rear. I'm wondering if you'll be able to fit all the gear for overnighters with everyone in the vehicle. Have you considered a small trailer? The towing capacity on these is around 3500 lbs I think so you'd have to go with a smaller one and watch your GCWR.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife and I are cutting our teeth on overlanding too. We aren't looking at a RTT instead went with a ground tent. We're going to be packed to the gills with the tent, small fridge, water cans, sleeping bags, food, stove, first aid, power tank, recovery gear, etc... I even put in one of those shelves over the rear. I'm wondering if you'll be able to fit all the gear for overnighters with everyone in the vehicle. Have you considered a small trailer? The towing capacity on these is around 3500 lbs I think so you'd have to go with a smaller one and watch your GCWR.
The problem with the trailer, even an off road one, is you’ve damn near doubled the length of the vehicle even with a small one. Not much fun on a narrow road. Some of those things are super expensive too.

But the ones from companies like Hiker do look cool. Would be a lot of fun on the beach once you got on.

Space in the Wrangler isn’t such a big deal with 2 people, drop the seats and you could carry reasonable supplies for days. At some point you’re carrying enough batteries and crap you should have just bought a Sprinter.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
The trailer is a good suggestion. Also, Quadratec has a hitch mounted tray and waterproof bag available. I bought one and it works well for clothes, camping chairs, sleeping bags, etc. It expands pretty large.
Jeep Wrangler JL Overland NOOB question Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 8.41.14 AM
Jeep Wrangler JL Overland NOOB question Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 8.40.56 AM

Jdsmoke

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport 2 door
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Healthcare
I would start w a ground tent. For a large family it will give you more options. It’s also easier w small kids. Put a roof rack on w a cargo box to carry more gear or use the hitch like others have indicated or both. If you really get into it, then you can upgrade too a trailer. Check out overlandbound forum more info. https://www.overlandbound.com/
Sponsored