Overland build

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Amazing setup, beautiful work! Just wondering how did you route your wires to the roof? I'm planning on mounting a light bar and a few camp lights to my Rhino rack and planning the install now.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Amazing setup, beautiful work! Just wondering how did you route your wires to the roof? I'm planning on mounting a light bar and a few camp lights to my Rhino rack and planning the install now.
Thank you. It was a though choice. Wires are going through the B pillar on the driver side and through the roof using a weather resistant connector. I found the connector I was looking for on aliexpress: WEIPU WS28 serie

I already committed to keeping the hard top on most if not all the time since I have the maximus-3 roof rack which bolts through the roof. I can take a picture if you like.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you. It was a though choice. Wires are going through the B pillar on the driver side and through the roof using a weather resistant connector. I found the connector I was looking for on aliexpress: WEIPU WS28 serie

I already committed to keeping the hard top on most if not all the time since I have the maximus-3 roof rack which bolts through the roof. I can take a picture if you like.

I would really appreciate pictures! I also have the maximus-3 roof rack and was planning on also using the B pillar and drilling the roof to use a through hull connector. I was thinking of using the open channels under the roof rack to route the wiring then drill into the side panels of the rack to route the wires to the front and back.

My basic plan so far was to go through the roof using a Duetsh HD10 through hull connector:

https://www.buydeutsch.com/collections/hd10-series/products/ahd10-6-12p-l

Then make a pigtail with Deutsh connectors in case I decide to take the top off.

Your experience would be very appreciated. I've looked several times but I haven't found anyone who's done it this way. Thanks!

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Oh so it would be very similar then. Here's the rack connector. I probably could've routed the cables better but it works for me. You don't see it in the picture but it goes directly to the LED bar and underneath the rack to the tent. The connector is a 7 pin, each pin can handle 25amps. So far I'm using 4 and might use 2 more to route 120v AC off an inverter to the tent so I can charge a laptop up there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200919_173651[1]

Here's the roof part:

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200919_180811[1]

Before you ask, the block with the bolt on the side is my quick roof rack disconnect. I made 4 of those that bolt to the maximus-3 brackets inside and "L" brackets on the rack that bolt to those 4 5/8" SS bolts. Let me know if you need more pictures.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh so it would be very similar then. Here's the rack connector. I probably could've routed the cables better but it works for me. You don't see it in the picture but it goes directly to the LED bar and underneath the rack to the tent. The connector is a 7 pin, each pin can handle 25amps. So far I'm using 4 and might use 2 more to route 120v AC off an inverter to the tent so I can charge a laptop up there.

Here's the roof part:

Before you ask, the block with the bolt on the side is my quick roof rack disconnect. I made 4 of those that bolt to the maximus-3 brackets inside and "L" brackets on the rack that bolt to those 4 5/8" SS bolts. Let me know if you need more pictures.

That is the exact setup I was looking into. I've spent a lot of time looking into through hull connectors and the one you found is the best I've seen. My requirement is a 7 pin connector handling at least 25amps per pin so that is perfect. I'm using Baja design's lights and was recommended by the manufacturer to use 12awg wiring, will this connector handle 12awg? I checked out your link and still wasn't sure. What wire gauge did you use?

If it's not too much of a hassle I would appreciate more pictures particularly a picture of how the wires come through the top on the inside. Did you run the wires from the driver side or the passenger side to the B pillar?

I have a switch-pro 9100 mounted to my firewall on the driver side and was planning on running the wires through the grommet on the driver side (I have an automatic) then either running the wiring up the A-pillar and across to the B-pillar, or running the wires below the door in the wire channel and up the B-pillar. I did run into one issue that's making me think I might have to run the wires up the A-pillar. I tried pulling the door connector off on the driver side to pull the panels and while I was able to disconnect the clip I did no have enough slack in the wiring to pull the connector down... I was able to do that on the passenger side with no issue but the driver side I gave up on...

How did you run your wiring?
I really appreciate all the info your giving me. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That is the exact setup I was looking into. I've spent a lot of time looking into through hull connectors and the one you found is the best I've seen. My requirement is a 7 pin connector handling at least 25amps per pin so that is perfect. I'm using Baja design's lights and was recommended by the manufacturer to use 12awg wiring, will this connector handle 12awg? I checked out your link and still wasn't sure. What wire gauge did you use?

If it's not too much of a hassle I would appreciate more pictures particularly a picture of how the wires come through the top on the inside. Did you run the wires from the driver side or the passenger side to the B pillar?

I have a switch-pro 9100 mounted to my firewall on the driver side and was planning on running the wires through the grommet on the driver side (I have an automatic) then either running the wiring up the A-pillar and across to the B-pillar, or running the wires below the door in the wire channel and up the B-pillar. I did run into one issue that's making me think I might have to run the wires up the A-pillar. I tried pulling the door connector off on the driver side to pull the panels and while I was able to disconnect the clip I did no have enough slack in the wiring to pull the connector down... I was able to do that on the passenger side with no issue but the driver side I gave up on...

How did you run your wiring?
I really appreciate all the info your giving me. Thanks!
I'm not close to the jeep right now so I'll take you some pictures later. I did use 12 awg for the light bar and they fit snug in the connector. The other 2 are using 16 awg. I think it would be hard to run 7x 12 awg through the boot of the connector but I could be wrong, didn't try it yet.

I ran a 4 awg through a grommet on the passenger side, you can find info on that in the forums. I made myself a connection panel under the passenger seat. I use it to hook up "always on" components like my compressor and I have an andersson plug to transfer power to my electrical box when I overland. I also brought the wire for the aux.4 switch there to use as a switch for the light bar.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_152513

The wires from the roof connector go down through the driver's side B pillar to the back seat on the driver side where I used trailer style connectors to hook up to my electric system. Here's a picture where you can barely see those right above the charger on the left hand side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build IMG_20200916_153211

Hope it helps.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not close to the jeep right now so I'll take you some pictures later. I did use 12 awg for the light bar and they fit snug in the connector. The other 2 are using 16 awg. I think it would be hard to run 7x 12 awg through the boot of the connector but I could be wrong, didn't try it yet.

I ran a 4 awg through a grommet on the passenger side, you can find info on that in the forums. I made myself a connection panel under the passenger seat. I use it to hook up "always on" components like my compressor and I have an andersson plug to transfer power to my electrical box when I overland. I also brought the wire for the aux.4 switch there to use as a switch for the light bar.

The wires from the roof connector go down through the driver's side B pillar to the back seat on the driver side where I used trailer style connectors to hook up to my electric system. Here's a picture where you can barely see those right above the charger on the left hand side.

Hope it helps.
Thanks this is giving me some great ideas. I do have a question about the connection you used. I was going to order it but I'm confused. I see it sold as a set with the through hull connector (socket) and the plug but from some of the pictures I'm seeing it looks as if there is a plug connecting to both sides of the socket. Is this correct? If so what would be the other connector. I tried getting help on the site without luck...

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Nice and professional looking. You could probably make a bunch of money building this set up for others.

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks this is giving me some great ideas. I do have a question about the connection you used. I was going to order it but I'm confused. I see it sold as a set with the through hull connector (socket) and the plug but from some of the pictures I'm seeing it looks as if there is a plug connecting to both sides of the socket. Is this correct? If so what would be the other connector. I tried getting help on the site without luck...
Are you talking about the roof connector on aliexpress?

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Nice and professional looking. You could probably make a bunch of money building this set up for others.
I'm actually toying with the idea. Not out of wood but stainless steel. I'll be running the numbers and drawing things up this winter to see if its viable. When looking at the competition out there, they all seem to me overpriced which limits the potential clients.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about the roof connector on aliexpress?
Yes that's the connector I was talking about. From the picture it looks like it could use a plug on both sides. There isn't really a description. I may just be getting myself confused since the inside portion of the roof connector looks like it would also accept pins and there is no boot to cover the connections if these are solder connections. Similar connectors I've seen don't have exposed solder connections.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build 1600782445472

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build 1600782472828

OP
OP

Lohkay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The part on the left on both pictures show the same part of the connector which gets bolted to the roof. The top picture shows the side facing the roof with the gasket and the terminals that you solder onto your internal wiring. The bottom picture shows the exposed side with the cap that screws on to protect it when not in use.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The part on the left on both pictures show the same part of the connector which gets bolted to the roof. The top picture shows the side facing the roof with the gasket and the terminals that you solder onto your internal wiring. The bottom picture shows the exposed side with the cap that screws on to protect it when not in use.
That makes sense was hoping for a boot on the side where you solder the connections. It seems they do make one but it's not on the AliExpress website. It's only on the Weipu website and I can't seem to find an easy way to order it. I'll just have to make my own boot to cover the connections.

Just for your information this is what I found on the Weipu site.

Jeep Wrangler JL Overland build 1600795074156

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I've got a 2 pin cannon plug on order to get power to my Rack/RTT. I'm going to install a waterproof power distribution box on the bottom side of my rack, that way i'm not limited by how many wires I run through the roof for accessories. I will use a unit that uses bluetooth control so I can control my rack and RTT lighting from the ground or inside the RTT with a cell phone or tablet. I'm also ordering a Bundutech RTT so I will need to power the lift motor.

jalfo0927

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.0 Diesel
Hi There @Lohkay. I really love your build. I'm actually use it as template for my kitchen build.. First time doing anything this big of a project..

Question - What are you using to secure the fridge and cook stove to the platform?

I got my Platform in the front more or less built out, and Box for the back.

I made my cabinet box 28Hx37Wx30D Actually might cut it down to 26" for Height it seems too tall with the 2x4s under neath.
Sponsored