Ordering with a Trade

alingo2001

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I see a lot of people ordering their Jeep. Did you have a trade-in? How does that work when you do? Since there's some time period between ordering and receiving your Jeep. Did you negotiate the trade when you order or just hope the numbers are ok when you receive the new Jeep?
Sponsored

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
I see a lot of people ordering their Jeep. Did you have a trade-in? How does that work when you do? Since there's some time period between ordering and receiving your Jeep. Did you negotiate the trade when you order or just hope the numbers are ok when you receive the new Jeep?
I did some research before ordering. Made sure that I knew the bottom dollar for my trade. Of course a month waiting for the jeep will bring down value especially if mileage goes up.
Most dealerships won't negotiate pricing knowing this. If they do, they are either blowing smoke or giving you next to nothing for your trade.
My dealer gave me their purchase price sight unseen about a week before my jlur came in. They tried to lowball me, but I told them I would walk away from our deal if they didn't honor their offer. I would rather lose a $500 deposit than thousands on my trade.
I had a back up plan of either selling it myself or selling it to carvana in case the numbers didn't match up.
But they came around and honored the offer.
I think it also helps to let them know you are on the forum, especially if it is a dealer that is highly rated on here. They know they will get trash talked about if they do the wrong thing.

Stry

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My dealer made an offer for my trade when I ordered my JLUR that was higher than what I anticipated, We discussed mileage on the trade between time of ordering and delivery and they committed to honoring the amount as long as I did not add over 3000 miles. It all worked out well!

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I was only 6 months in on a 36 month lease on a 2018 Sport when I had an itch to own a 2019 Rubicon. Build sticker was $44950. I paid $41,900 + taxes. Most folks without a trade are getting JLURs between $48K and $49K. I took delivery in about 28 days. I have no regrets.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A deal with a trade is always a little more work. Consider selling it yourself. Get everything in writing BEFORE hand if you want to trade. A respectable dealer will give you a number on your trade then give you something in writing guaranteeing the price within a time, milage, condition window. Shop your trade to Carmax for a idea of a real wholesale number. Get your best price on the Jl then ask the used car manager to give you a buy number on your trade. You will probably have to shop several dealers because it will be a balancing act between JL price and trade-in price.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Like Bob, we negotiated the value of my trade, and the purchase price of the Jeep. Once we made a deal we filled out the paperwork. The only stipulation was that my truck was in the same condition as negotiated (ie: not damaged, or parts swapped out), and that mileage didn't exceed 1,000 per month. The mileage limit was a bit of a laugh to me, since I average maybe 500 a month (my JL is 11 months old and I've only got 4K miles on it so far).
Anyway, it's no more difficult than negotiating trade on a vehicle that you're taking off the lot. Just make sure they specify the terms, such as mileage, wear, etc. I guess it's similar to a lease until your Jeep arrives.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When we traded in, they took the mileage (at time of exchanging vehicle, not the discussion), so when you take ownership of the new Jeep and give old vehicle/keys. We had better financing through the dealer bank with 3.75%, so we used their bank. When we traded in, it was (Jeep+fees) - trade value = happy. If you sell your vehicle yourself, you will typically get more money, but there are some variables in the equation. For me, my trade needed some work, so my trade value worked out. You have to think of the KBB value, local area value, etc and ask yourself if the trade amount is worth it. Pick your number and go with it. If you want to hassle with waiting and selling yourself, that's your call. Trades are easier, but you typically get less, unless you sell them :) Also - the trade value will get subtracted from the cost value, in respects of sales tax, so you should only get taxed on (cost of new jeep) - (trade in value). Hope that helps, from my perspective. :like:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
When we traded in, they took the mileage (at time of exchanging vehicle, not the discussion), so when you take ownership of the new Jeep and give old vehicle/keys. We had better financing through the dealer bank with 3.75%, so we used their bank. When we traded in, it was (Jeep+fees) - trade value = happy. If you sell your vehicle yourself, you will typically get more money, but there are some variables in the equation. For me, my trade needed some work, so my trade value worked out. You have to think of the KBB value, local area value, etc and ask yourself if the trade amount is worth it. Pick your number and go with it. If you want to hassle with waiting and selling yourself, that's your call. Trades are easier, but you typically get less, unless you sell them :) Also - the trade value will get subtracted from the cost value, in respects of sales tax, so you should only get taxed on (cost of new jeep) - (trade in value). Hope that helps, from my perspective. :like:
The sales tax credit varies by State. Some States allow a credit other don't.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The sales tax credit varies by State. Some States allow a credit other don't.
Thank you for the correction. I figured that was the case. For reference, i'm in MO.
Sponsored