VABarn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2020 JLURD
Hi all,

I have read a few posts talking about how to order from the factory and how to contact different dealers, etc. for best pricing... but one question I haven't seen answered... do you also tell them you have a car to trade-in, or is that something that only comes out when the Wrangler has already been built and sitting at the dealership?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
It's debatable. Many people prefer to negotiate final sale price of the Jeep first and then bring up the trade-in at the end. Others argue that they will be more aggressive with the trade-in value if you mention it up front.

My preferred method is to ask for the "final out-the-door price including the trade-in and all fees". So I can be sure to compare the final actual cost to me with apples to apples numbers between dealerships.

This time though I separated the final sales price and trade-in value because I was considering selling private party instead while I waited for the build to complete. In the end I am selling my Ford car to a family member for the average trade-in values I was quoted.

OP
OP
VABarn

VABarn

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2020 JLURD
agarber5687,

Thank you for the quick response. I was leaning towards your preferred method, but I was willing to be swayed. I do like the idea of knowing the find price, with everything being included, prior to even showing up.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
agarber5687,

Thank you for the quick response. I was leaning towards your preferred method, but I was willing to be swayed. I do like the idea of knowing the find price, with everything being included, prior to even showing up.
That is a must, to know the final price before I ever set foot in the dealership. I will visit multiple dealers over weeks or months to test drive and narrow down the exact build out I am going to buy, but once I begin requesting quotes, I am not coming in until its to pick up the vehicle.

Some dealers add a ton of extra fees here and there. In the end, I don't care what you call your fee or the difference between your trade-in value and sales price, I just want to know my actual end cost and compare that to the same number from other dealers.

Be warned, not every dealer will want to play ball with you, which is understandable. Many, however, recognize that this is how more and more people prefer to buy cars today and if they want the business, they will reply. I had multiple dealers self-elect out from my business both with the Jeep I just ordered and my wife's Pacifica we bought last year. I took no offense.
Sponsored