Sponsored

Anyway to Lock-in the Trade-In Valuation when Ordering a JLU?

Scott T in MA

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR-XR and 2001 TJ Sport
I've tried searching, but didn't find any discussions around this topic.

So, I'm very comfortable walking into a dealership to negotiate the price of a vehicle on the lot, and also negotiating the trade-in value on my vehicle.

However, I've never ORDERED a new vehicle before, but I'm signed up with TL.org for the "1% Below Invoice" pricing, plus I found a couple other incentives/rebates to help with the negotiation of the new vehicle's price. However, since the ordering process seems to be taking 4-6 months, and the market seems to keep fluctuating, how can I get a read on which local dealer will offer the best offer for my current vehicle's trade-in value? Most say they cannot lock in a value, and I understand, the value may remain close or drop dramatically in the coming months, but I don't want to order a new JLU if the valuation may not be favorable once the new vehicle arrives.

I'm currently driving a 2021 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 5.7, Panoramic Sunroof, Rock Rails, etc and it only has 11,500 on the odometer right now. I decided that if I'm going to spend $500/month, I'd rather be paying for a JLU as my daily driver, and the plan would be to own it long-term unless there is some REALLY cool new technology out in the coming years.

Any advice on how to get a solid valuation on my current vehicle in this ordering process?
Sponsored

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
not sure when placing an order. But a woman that works for me put a hold on a dealer ordered unit 2 months ago and locked in her trade with no mileage cap on the vehicle she is trading in. She picks up her 22 JLUS this afternoon

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
The way I've always done that is to agree on a future value. Most decent dealers will give you a set value as long as the miles dont exceed XX,XXX and the condition doesnt drastically change. I've done this multiple times, no issues.

OP
OP
Scott T in MA

Scott T in MA

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One dealer I’m chatting with, which is rated well locally, and the sales person is an active member in a local club stated: “unfortunately due to the volativity of the used market we could not guarantee a trade value. We can only guarantee the selling price of the ordered vehicle before any rebates or incentives.” Hmmm

I’ll check with a couple other dealers as well.

Charmagne

First Name
Charmagne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
80th AE JL
I didn't want Murphy's Law to bite me in the a$$. So when they gave me a great quote I sold it to them right then and there, then borrowed a car for two months while I waited for my build to arrive. I realize not everyone has the option to borrow a car, but my folks are older and have a hard time driving both cars anyway. If you have the option ... I was also told they would re-evaluate the value of my car if I waited, sounds like some have had much better luck at locking something in.

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Looking at it from a financial perspective, there’s always a trade off between risk and profit.

To agree on future value -especially when the term (time) of the agreement cannot be specified- someone has to eat the risk and hope for a gain. And these are volatile times in used cars.

If I were sitting across from you making the deal, I’d offer you a guaranteed value, but at a discounted number, because I’m assuming the risk that used cars may normalize in value between now and then.
If that did not meet your expectations, I’d advise you to assume the risk yourself, and shop the trade around with other dealers like CarMax when the time comes.

Dealers are sitting on a bunch of used inventory they overpaid for already, according to many sources.

OP
OP
Scott T in MA

Scott T in MA

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at it from a financial perspective, there’s always a trade off between risk and profit.

To agree on future value -especially when the term (time) of the agreement cannot be specified- someone has to eat the risk and hope for a gain. And these are volatile times in used cars.

If I were sitting across from you making the deal, I’d offer you a guaranteed value, but at a discounted number, because I’m assuming the risk that used cars may normalize in value between now and then.
If that did not meet your expectations, I’d advise you to assume the risk yourself, and shop the trade around with other dealers like CarMax when the time comes.

Dealers are sitting on a bunch of used inventory they overpaid for already, according to many sources.
Fair enough! I do see that point as well. Just hesitant to put money down on an order (yes, I'd ask about the full deposit refund) and waiting months to see if they'll give me a solid trade-in value. I should shop around my current vehicle as a "buyout" first, and see what I can do for the purchase. Based on past experience, I can think of just 1-2 dealers locally I think would give me a solid trade-in value, but need to see if they honor the Affiliate Program AND rebates/incentives as well.
Sponsored