OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how bad yours is, but I have the 2.0 and I don't think it's too bad. I look at it like this...
8th gear is enough for a steady cruising speed and to conserve fuel. The trans has 2 over drives AND the lower gears are very low. First gear in the auto is way lower than first in the manual or the old 5 speed. I don't have a problem with a second overdrive not being able to pull up a hill or go into a strong headwind. I'm driving a 4800 pound brick at 70mph with less than 300hp. I think with the combination of all the other gears and the torque converter that 4.10 is a good choice for 33s. Even if 8th is only used cruising flat and steady and squeaking out a little more mileage.

Now if 1, 2, 3, and 4 weren't so low and it effected low end performance I'd be singing a different tune. But with this trans we don't even hit 1:1 until 6th gear. But, like I said, I don't find it that bad on mine. It's not constantly hunting on the highway.
For clarity, it does not constantly hunt, but at speeds of 75 any headwind will push it down into a lower gear. I noticed it a lot on a recent trip to CO/WY/MT and it just made me question why FCA did not install 4.56 gears from the start. What it definitely tells me is if I go to larger tires, I will not see 8th gear unless on a flat road with a tail wind or going downhill.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Not sure how bad yours is, but I have the 2.0 and I don't think it's too bad. I look at it like this...
8th gear is enough for a steady cruising speed and to conserve fuel. The trans has 2 over drives AND the lower gears are very low. First gear in the auto is way lower than first in the manual or the old 5 speed. I don't have a problem with a second overdrive not being able to pull up a hill or go into a strong headwind. I'm driving a 4800 pound brick at 70mph with less than 300hp. I think with the combination of all the other gears and the torque converter that 4.10 is a good choice for 33s. Even if 8th is only used cruising flat and steady and squeaking out a little more mileage.

Now if 1, 2, 3, and 4 weren't so low and it effected low end performance I'd be singing a different tune. But with this trans we don't even hit 1:1 until 6th gear. But, like I said, I don't find it that bad on mine. It's not constantly hunting on the highway.
FYI...1st gear on the manual is geared at 5.13...it's 4.71 on the automatic. The manual is geared lower.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
For clarity, it does not constantly hunt, but at speeds of 75 any headwind will push it down into a lower gear. I noticed it a lot on a recent trip to CO/WY/MT and it just made me question why FCA did not install 4.56 gears from the start. What it definitely tells me is if I go to larger tires, I will not see 8th gear unless on a flat road with a tail wind or going downhill.
Because FCA is penalized for poor gas mileage and the vast majority of JL owners love their automatic transmission and dont mind it downshifting in a headwind or on a hill. You are in the minority....if it bothers you that much, regear to 4.56. :beer:

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
FYI...1st gear on the manual is geared at 5.13...it's 4.71 on the automatic. The manual is geared lower.
Yes, you're correct. 1st gear in the manual is a crawler. But look at the next 2. The manual jumps from a 5.13 to a 2.63 then to 1.53 for 3rd. Where in the auto, it goes from 4.71 to 3.13 to 2.10 in 3rd and still at 1.67 in 4th. The auto does a good job of being able to keep the engine in the right powerband for the situation.
I'm just saying imho, that and having a torque converter makes the 4.10 a very good choice for a 33" tire. Especially from the factory.

I have not driven a 3.6 with the auto though. Maybe it's a much different feeling.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
First gear on the JL's 6MT is lower than first gear on the 8AT.
Yup, I stand corrected. I realized that when I went back and looked. 1st gear is extra low.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I agree, if you go larger tires you may want to re-gear to get the full benefit of the 8 gears. I don't know that I would gear it any steeper than what it is now if you calculate in the rollout (engine revolutions/mile). Maybe a little more aggressive, but not much.

$.02

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yes, you're correct. 1st gear in the manual is a crawler. But look at the next 2. The manual jumps from a 5.13 to a 2.63 then to 1.53 for 3rd. Where in the auto, it goes from 4.71 to 3.13 to 2.10 in 3rd and still at 1.67 in 4th. The auto does a good job of being able to keep the engine in the right powerband for the situation.
I'm just saying imho, that and having a torque converter makes the 4.10 a very good choice for a 33" tire. Especially from the factory.

I have not driven a 3.6 with the auto though. Maybe it's a much different feeling.
Cool...I was simply responding to you saying:

"First gear in the auto is way lower than first in the manual or the old 5 speed."

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Because FCA is penalized for poor gas mileage and the vast majority of JL owners love their automatic transmission and dont mind it downshifting in a headwind or on a hill. You are in the minority....if it bothers you that much, regear to 4.56. :beer:
All companies are penalized for poor fuel economy, it is not unique to FCA. However, this is the first vehicle that I have owned that downshifts as frequently as this one does. I am in the minority of not liking it? I cannot be in the minority of calling it out since I seen multiple people here and on other forums discuss it.

The gearing selection does not seem to be designed for anything above 70 (which is not practical in the western states). For me, considering that I would go to 35" tires, 4.88 would be a better choice, thus leaving me the option to go to 37" tires if I so choose.

I question why 4.56 was not the default choice for Rubicons with 33" OEM tires since the economy cannot be impacted that much (4.10 in 7th gear vs. 4.88 in 8th gear) and it would make the vehicle be much more responsive.

<shrug>

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
All companies are penalized for poor fuel economy, it is not unique to FCA. However, this is the first vehicle that I have owned that downshifts as frequently as this one does. I am in the minority of not liking it? I cannot be in the minority of calling it out since I seen multiple people here and on other forums discuss it.

The gearing selection does not seem to be designed for anything above 70 (which is not practical in the western states). For me, considering that I would go to 35" tires, 4.88 would be a better choice, thus leaving me the option to go to 37" tires if I so choose.

I question why 4.56 was not the default choice for Rubicons with 33" OEM tires since the economy cannot be impacted that much (4.10 in 7th gear vs. 4.88 in 8th gear) and it would make the vehicle be much more responsive.

<shrug>
This is what i researched before i ordered my 2021 Rubicon! And because of this, i ordered a Diesel instead of either of the gas engines.. Its not gearing, its engine performance.

big engine no turbo (3.6 gas), small engine with turbo (2.0T) or big engine with turbo (3.0 diesel)..

The diesel Rubicon comes with 3.73 gearing and it holds 8th gear without any single issue!

Thats why Jeep gives you 3 choices

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is what i researched before i ordered my 2021 Rubicon! And because of this, i ordered a Diesel instead of either of the gas engines.. Its not gearing, its engine performance.

big engine no turbo (3.6 gas), small engine with turbo (2.0T) or big engine with turbo (3.0 diesel)..

The diesel Rubicon comes with 3.73 gearing and it holds 8th gear without any single issue!

Thats why Jeep gives you 3 choices
Potentially, but a diesel is not something I would ever consider. The diesel has 3.73 gearing due to its torque range and operational speed. All of the diesels that I have owned are always geared higher than their gasoline counterparts. My F-250 Powerstroke had 3.55 gearing and my F-150 Triton had 3.73 gears. Color me crazy, but the 4.10 gears just seem too high with 33" tires, but I need to find a gear ratio/tire size/transmission calculator and play with the numbers.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
All companies are penalized for poor fuel economy, it is not unique to FCA. However, this is the first vehicle that I have owned that downshifts as frequently as this one does
It's probably also the first vehicle you've owned with the Wrangler's .45 Cd and enormous AF, not to mention paired with a ZF8 that's designed to shift a lot. Drag becomes a real issue once about 60mph or so.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

<shrug>
Not intending to be a smart***....Do you think you aren't in the minority because you have seen multiple people on here and on other forums discuss it? There have been over 400k JL's sold and probably 90% are automatics. I've watched God knows how many youtubes + read hundreds of articles and the JL's automatic is always praised and viewed as a gamechanger. JL sales are WAY ahead of the JK after it was launched and it has set multiple sales records. Unless sales take a dive, I'd bet the farm FCA isnt going to do anything to the gearing of the automatic.

P.S...I drive a 6 speed....so no automatic bias here.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

<shrug>
I’m right there with you. I drive over 1000 times more on the highway than I do on trails so having a functioning 8th is something I’d like too. I’m on 35s but will likely go to 37s in the near future so I’ll just deal with the piss poor mileage and schizophrenic hunting for a gear between 6th, 7th, and occasionally 8th once in a blue moon on the highway. You’re not wrong. If 4.56 were a factory option there would be a ton of folks who’d opt for it.
Sponsored