Oil filter o-ring placement matters

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Edit: Here is what I really did wrong (changed thread title to match): Root cause and solution

Today’s Darwin Award winner is me. This eff up is still in progress.

Changed oil last night. Oil filter was a bitch to get loose, though I don’t think I overtightened it last time. Anyway, I decide to put it on “hand tight” this time.

Oops.

On my way to gym. Smell oil. Doors are off, and I assume it’s someone else. Drove about 4 miles to gym (mostly highway). Realize it’s me. Park. Oil steaming out from under Jeep.

It was coming out of the filter housing because I put the cap on too loose.

Now working out and waiting for wife to bring me oil.

No idiot light came on. I hope I didn’t wreck anything. Dipstick does not show any oil except *maybe• a little dot on the bottom. I’ll have to see how many quarts it takes.

Also, bottom of Jeep and exhaust are now covered in oil. Fabulous.

Don’t be me. Properly torque your oil filter cap.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Today’s Darwin Award winner is me. This eff up is still in progress.

Changed oil last night. Oil filter was a bitch to get loose, though I don’t think I overtightened it last time. Anyway, I decide to put it on “hand tight” this time.

Oops.

On my way to gym. Smell oil. Doors are off, and I assume it’s someone else. Drove about 4 miles to gym (mostly highway). Realize it’s me. Park. Oil steaming out from under Jeep.

It was coming out of the filter housing because I put the cap on too loose.

Now working out and waiting for wife to bring me oil.

No idiot light came on. I hope I didn’t wreck anything. Dipstick does not show any oil except *maybe• a little dot on the bottom. I’ll have to see how many quarts it takes.

Also, bottom of Jeep and exhaust are now covered in oil. Fabulous.

Don’t be me. Properly torque your oil filter cap.
Should be fine since there was a hint of oil on the dipstick and no oil pressure light.

Don't beat yourself up over this. I've been hand tightening my oil filters for 30+ years. Seat the filter + 1/4 turn. But I'll definitely be more conscious of this now.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back home. It was 1qt low. I think I found my mistake - the red rubber gasket that comes with Mobil-1 filters was clearly visible when I opened the hood. After tightening with a wrench that was no longer visible. So, I think if I had given it a bit more oomph by hand I would have felt it get easier after the gasket got swallowed up, and then I probably had another turn or two. Live and learn!

Well, other than my transmission and exhaust getting covered in oil, not a bad ending to this tale. I’m just gonna wipe off what I can reach and then go have a beer. :beer:

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should have trusted the dealership.

Sorry, couldn’t help it. I’ll see myself out... :blush:
If I’d done that I’d have ended with with the correct number of quarts in my engine rather than being one shy... :CWL:

Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Well, other than my transmission and exhaust getting covered in oil, not a bad ending to this tale. I’m just gonna wipe off what I can reach and then go have a beer. :beer:
Consider it future rustproofing.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Back home. It was 1qt low. I think I found my mistake - the red rubber gasket that comes with Mobil-1 filters was clearly visible when I opened the hood. After tightening with a wrench that was no longer visible. So, I think if I had given it a bit more oomph by hand I would have felt it get easier after the gasket got swallowed up, and then I probably had another turn or two. Live and learn!

Have a few !

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If I’d done that I’d have ended with with the correct number of quarts in my engine rather than being one shy... :CWL:
You’ve figured it out!!! Have the Jeep dealership perform your free oil change, unscrew the filter housing and screw it back on hand tight, drive home, tighten it correctly, you have exactly 5 quarts and paid nothing! And lubricated the chassis for free!

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Correct me if I'm wrong but the torque on the oil filter/cap is 18lbs. That's not very much so surprised it was such an issue. (keep in mind I've only had 6 quart changes from the dealer so far ;) doing mine next time)

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong but the torque on the oil filter/cap is 18lbs. That's not very much so surprised it was such an issue. (keep in mind I've only had 6 quart changes from the dealer so far ;) doing mine next time)
Fark me. I just took off my oil filter cap so I could really look at it under some light, and I spotted my screw up. The reason I could see the o-ring when I opened the hood was not because I didn’t tighten it enough, it’s because I placed the ring all the way around the flange. To be fair, my garage was a bit dark and I was going by feel.

This explains exactly what I did incorrectly:

I hope this thread helps someone, anyway.

Edit: I used a torque wrench when I put it back together. :giggle:

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Fark me. I just took off my oil filter cap so I could really look at it under some light, and I spotted my screw up. The reason I could see the o-ring when I opened the hood was not because I didn’t tighten it enough, it’s because I place the ring all the way around the flange. To be fair, my garage was a bit dark and I was going by feel.

Live and learn. Thanks for sharing.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Fark me. I just took off my oil filter cap so I could really look at it under some light, and I spotted my screw up. The reason I could see the o-ring when I opened the hood was not because I didn’t tighten it enough, it’s because I placed the ring all the way around the flange. To be fair, my garage was a bit dark and I was going by feel.

Edit: I used a torque wrench when I put it back together. :giggle:
Good grief, I just managed to do the same screw up with my o-ring placement.
I managed the first 5 oil changes OK, but this time installed the O ring up high and now dealing with 1 lost quart of oil that's still dripping of the frame after 1 week.
Thanks for the video.
Sponsored