Engine Oil/Filter Selection

MikeJenkins

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Seems like we are all getting around the those first oil changes - what is everyone using for engine oil and filters?

I went with Pennzoil and a Purolator filter in both JLs.
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
i have been wonderingthat too? why did you pick that combo and what about synthetics?

OP
OP
MikeJenkins

MikeJenkins

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
i have been wonderingthat too? why did you pick that combo and what about synthetics?
Used full synthetic and quite honestly - the Purolator filter was all I could find in this one horse town.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I went with Mobil 1 EP 0w20 for round 1. For round 2, Mobil 1 AP 0w20. 1st was at 2k miles, 2nd was at 3k on the oil, and the third will be between 4500 and 5k. I'd run the third much longer, but I'm going to Moab in mid October and want fresh oil in the sump for hard off-roading. I'm deciding between Mobil 1 EP, AP, Pennzoil Platinum or Valvoline Modern Engine. I want the new SN Plus rating and/or GM's Dexos 1, Gen 2. Mobil 1 EP has the Dexos rating, but not sure the SN plus has hit shelves yet. Pennzoil Platinum has both, as does the Valvoline. M1 EP and AP will have both, but I think they are just in the pipeline and not on shelves quite yet.

You might ask why those ratings? They are designed to put up with the worst that direct injected turbocharged engines can throw at them, so they will be very robust oils. Duty in the 3.6 will be a cakewalk for them, (it is with current oils, too), even with extended drain intervals. Btw, the UOA I had done on the Mobil 1 EP came out good. I'll do another on the EP when I drain it and will post it up.

I also run a Fram Ultra filter.

Sponsored

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 0w-20 and Mopar filter.
Correct, this is one of the best oils. they use condensed natural gas to get the perfect molecular structure. at 5k miles this oil still looks like it could go longer. Great protection.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Purolator L36296 and a 5 qt. single container of STP Full Synthetic 0W-20 works fine for me.

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 0w-20 and Mopar filter.
Same here. $10 rebate usually on 5qts of Penzoil Platunum, google it.

I plan on changing just the oil filter at 2,500 miles then full oil change at 5,000 and every 5,000 miles thereafter. 5 tire rotation every 5,000 miles as well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy