Sponsored

Oil Change...debacle

acfortier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
The 3.0L takes special oil (I believe this to a point). Dealership service departments have been botching this simple job in many ways:
using the wrong oil
wrong amount of oil
loose install of cap or plug
not waiting for oil to drain completely (per Jeep/FCA, this is a no for the 3.0)
improper cleanup of spilt dirty oil

The Jeep wave program might be worth it to someone who doesn't work on their rigs, but to a normal red-blooded American that isn't afraid to get their hands dirty, a 'free' incompetent oil change is worth exactly what said person paid for it.
Then hold them accountable for when they botch it? I get it if I were someone who didn't know any better--but since I DO, it literally takes two minutes to check the sheet, check the oil, check the oil pan plug, etc.

I'm not averse to doing my own work/labor. Not afraid to get dirty. Just taking advantage of something that would otherwise cost me $600+ and my own time. To each their own I guess?
Sponsored

Bubalooie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram longhorn 3500 2018 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
So...I go in for my 3rd WAVE oil change. The first two were a sloppy ass nightmare so I KINDLY ask the service writer to have them be careful and to TRY to not make a mess. He assures me "No problem, we'll have it in an hour" So I drop it off, run some errands with my wife and I'm back in 3 hours...and it's not done.

I walk in and he greets me by saying " Hi sir, have you been here before?"...Ya, like three hours ago..."It'll be right up, he's just filling it with oil."

So, I drive back to my shop (we have a shop with a hoist) pop the hood and NICE! No oil mess from the filter!! But then I look under and the drain pan bolt is dripping like a leaking faucet!! WTF now!!

I run it up on the hoist and the drain bolt is not only loose, IT'S BACKED OUT ABOUT A TURN AN A HALF!!

So I crank it down, wipe down the frigg'n oily mess from pan bolt to trailer hitch, and give them a call with the pictures..."Oh we're SO sorry, is there anything we can do??" What are ya gonna say..."No, just be careful next time"

I don't think there is anyone qualified to be dog catcher anymore...Can you imagine if I'd got it changed and headed out on vacation and the pan bolt fell out? I don't even want to think about it.

20210405_151710.jpg

20210405_151908.jpg

20210405_151725.jpg

20210405_151739.jpg
From the look of the dirty ass oil on the floor I would say they didn't change your oil.
So...I go in for my 3rd WAVE oil change. The first two were a sloppy ass nightmare so I KINDLY ask the service writer to have them be careful and to TRY to not make a mess. He assures me "No problem, we'll have it in an hour" So I drop it off, run some errands with my wife and I'm back in 3 hours...and it's not done.

I walk in and he greets me by saying " Hi sir, have you been here before?"...Ya, like three hours ago..."It'll be right up, he's just filling it with oil."

So, I drive back to my shop (we have a shop with a hoist) pop the hood and NICE! No oil mess from the filter!! But then I look under and the drain pan bolt is dripping like a leaking faucet!! WTF now!!

I run it up on the hoist and the drain bolt is not only loose, IT'S BACKED OUT ABOUT A TURN AN A HALF!!

So I crank it down, wipe down the frigg'n oily mess from pan bolt to trailer hitch, and give them a call with the pictures..."Oh we're SO sorry, is there anything we can do??" What are ya gonna say..."No, just be careful next time"

I don't think there is anyone qualified to be dog catcher anymore...Can you imagine if I'd got it changed and headed out on vacation and the pan bolt fell out? I don't even want to think about it.

20210405_151710.jpg

20210405_151908.jpg

20210405_151725.jpg

20210405_151739.jpg

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Then hold them accountable for when they botch it? I get it if I were someone who didn't know any better--but since I DO, it literally takes two minutes to check the sheet, check the oil, check the oil pan plug, etc.

I'm not averse to doing my own work/labor. Not afraid to get dirty. Just taking advantage of something that would otherwise cost me $600+ and my own time. To each their own I guess?
Speaking of time, what is yours worth? Most people have to wait around with their vehicle (often they can't get you in and out). And if they choose not to wait they have to get a ride and come back.

Then if an issue does in fact present itself you have to deal with that nonsense. No thanks.

Knowing it's done right is worth the $260 I spent on oil and filters for 4 oil changes. Take me about the same amount of time to change my oil as the round trip to and from the dealer.

But yes indeed, to each their own.

RamMan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport Dsl. / '16 Ram PW / '14 GC Dsl.
Occupation
Transport / Odd Jobs
I thought the same thing. That oil looks well used.
Oil is black because it's diesel powered. Change oil; drive it home. Check oil ; & it's black.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
seriously? I wonder if you have to work at being a douche or if it just comes naturally.
This thread went bad...just read up to this point and you know what I mean, but if anyone is still interested. This morning I checked the dip stick level and it was way high, and too black for just 20 miles.

I ran it up the hoist, drained into a calibrated vessel and out came 11 quarts of dirty black oil...and it only holds 9. I went out and found oil and a filter and did the change.

What happened? Who the heck knows...is the oil rat hording the oil and expensive filters and selling on the side? Was this all an honest mistake? How did it end up with 3 extra quarts? All I know is, ya go to a Jeep dealer to get a simple oil change and it turns into a real shit show. Bottom-line, it's done and it's done correctly.

I did not return to the dealer, I'm not getting in a pissing contest with a 20 yo about the finer points of changing oil. It's done, I'm done and not going back. I learned my lesson.

In fact, I'm reluctant to even post on here any information I have, because of the bad feedback.

Now, for all the naysayers, know-it-all posters, save your breath. I don't care what you have to say and I believe most of the forum wants to keep it civil.

But this was my experience and here is a photo of the drained oil...black as night.

20210407_150213.jpg
The reason I dont go to the dealer . I do my own changes. 20 miles on that ...u gotta know something is wrong .

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Oil changes are so cheap on these Jeeps (JL 3.6) I don’t even bother with the dealer. Takes me 15 minutes. Plus the oil filter couldn’t be easier!

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sorry but I laugh when I hear these dealer service stories.The decades keep passing but the story doeson't change. BTDT 40+ yrs. ago and learned the lesson, don't go to the dealer for sevice.
BTW, black as Ink diesel oil is normal. Since new and for 67K miles, I have been doing 4,000 mile oil changes on my Ram Cummins 6.7 L and it is always INK colored, even with only few miles, all 11 quarts.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The repeated arguments on EVERY automotive forum I’ve ever been a part of that “If you want it done right, DIY/If you don’t DIY this is what you should expect/Dealership service always sucks, you should have expected this” is both dumb and counterproductive. For numerous good reasons some people can’t or don’t DIY. Physically unable to. No facility. Don’t have time. Lack ability. Extended warranty requirements. Etc., etc. The list is extensive.

The point is that the OP paid for a service by a professional company, in this case the vehicle manufacturer’s sole official service representative, to perform a simple maintenance task. If they don’t do it correctly, how is he the one catching heat from some of you?

Answer this honestly: If you hire a construction contractor to come into your home and paint your bedroom and they do a poor or incomplete job or in some other way fails to meet expectations, are you going to say it’s your own fault because you COULD have painted your own bedroom? It’s not that hard. Most people can do it. It’s cheaper to DIY. No. You’re going to be pissed because the professional you paid didn’t do his job. Now, what if you’ve already paid him to paint the whole house? Are you going to just take the L and let him keep your money and paint the rest yourself? Or are you going to do what you can to get him to do the job you paid for competently?

That said, I also believe that if you’re able to do it, you’ll probably get better results from DIY. But I’ve stopped giving grief to people who choose to pay pros to do a job when the pros screw it up. It’s not on the owners, the dealerships should be held accountable. Lowered expectations is why Jeep owners expect this sort of garbage and luxury brand owners as a whole expect competent white glove service and usually receive it.

TL;DR - stop bashing a guy for expecting to get what he paid for.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
The repeated arguments on EVERY automotive forum I’ve ever been a part of that “If you want it done right, DIY/If you don’t DIY this is what you should expect/Dealership service always sucks, you should have expected this” is both dumb and counterproductive. For numerous good reasons some people can’t or don’t DIY. Physically unable to. No facility. Don’t have time. Lack ability. Extended warranty requirements. Etc., etc. The list is extensive.

The point is that the OP paid for a service by a professional company, in this case the vehicle manufacturer’s sole official service representative, to perform a simple maintenance task. If they don’t do it correctly, how is he the one catching heat from some of you?

Answer this honestly: If you hire a construction contractor to come into your home and paint your bedroom and they do a poor or incomplete job or in some other way fails to meet expectations, are you going to say it’s your own fault because you COULD have painted your own bedroom? It’s not that hard. Most people can do it. It’s cheaper to DIY. No. You’re going to be pissed because the professional you paid didn’t do his job. Now, what if you’ve already paid him to paint the whole house? Are you going to just take the L and let him keep your money and paint the rest yourself? Or are you going to do what you can to get him to do the job you paid for competently?

That said, I also believe that if you’re able to do it, you’ll probably get better results from DIY. But I’ve stopped giving grief to people who choose to pay pros to do a job when the pros screw it up. It’s not on the owners, the dealerships should be held accountable. Lowered expectations is why Jeep owners expect this sort of garbage and luxury brand owners as a whole expect competent white glove service and usually receive it.

TL;DR - stop bashing a guy for expecting to get what he paid for.
This.

Like many here, I also prefer to change my own oil, and will probably do so after taking advantage of the free ones provided thru Jeep Wave. With all the $$$ that we are forced to pay for options, service, and parts, I actually enjoy taking whatever I can from FCA/Stellantis. They owe us that and much more, IMHO. You can't blame an owner for claiming what's due, and forcing the dealership to do it right. For those who take great pleasure in demeaning others who are just trying to do this, please realize that it's not your Wrangler...do whatever you want with yours and quit bashing them for their choices. This forum is most certainly NOT the place for it, so please spew your poison elsewhere. After all, Jeep owners look out for one another....we don't tear each other down. Not cool. :(:no:

Last edited:

Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Hmmm I don't remember reading that in my 2021 manual. 21 doesn't have a diesel supplement, they added it to the regular book. I'll have to see if I can find it. Thanks for posting that!

Edit: It is in there. Page 380 of the 2021 manual if anyone cares.

Last edited:

Dieselfumes57

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
No time here for the jeep wave. Threw on a fumoto valve to make it easy. I’m not using some weird proprietary oil either. I run t6 and if it don’t like it tough

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
No time here for the jeep wave. Threw on a fumoto valve to make it easy. I’m not using some weird proprietary oil either. I run t6 and if it don’t like it tough
I just bought the fumoto. Realized it would be a pain to change the oil with a skid. Didn't want to make a mess. Fumoto and drain tube kit for around $35 on amazon.
Sponsored