Offroading a brand new Rubicon

OP
OP

Semaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 71 Chevelle 65 mustang
Getting dirty is amazing!!!.. but sucks getting all the mud out.
falls2.jpg
Yes. Had a pressure washer underneath it for 30 mins the day afterward.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
there were three of us JL rubicons out last weekend. mine has about 15k on it, but buddys only had about 1500 miles (2000kms) and 500 of that was from delivery, they had to bring it in from another dealer for him, it's an 18 JLUR

60360004_10155887949336152_3793483044753506304_n.jpg

60860592_2044236792552481_3881247587595976704_n.jpg

Sponsored

RGW_WNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubican
My first Wrangler, the Mopar 2" lift and 35s (KO2s, not as aggressive but better in winters here). Been to one nearby WNC off road park (more mud than rocks), handled well. I'm 65yo, grabbing for some youth, but no need to push anything near breaking point.

20190513_181340.jpg

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
So you're gonna spend thousands on a second Jeep when you could spend those thousands on armor and/or tires and/or a lift for your new Rubicon?? You go buy a purpose-built extremely functional off-road vehicle only to then go buy another less-functional vehicle to then upgrade to use for the function (off-roading)????

JUST. DRIVE. IT.

I dunno.. just me perhaps. But you got the Rubicon. Use the Rubicon. I didn't buy my Jeep to be a pavement princess (no offense to those who have). The rig can take it. Properly equipped and armored you should avoid most trail damage... though the most important tool for avoiding that is the one between your ears. Your $50k Jeep is far more likely to be hurt or meet its demise on the highways and byways than offroading.

I guess the question is would you spend more on a 2nd Jeep than you would on fixing any potential but not yet realized damage wheeling your JL?
^^ Yeah this. ^^

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Hey guys,

I'm new to the offroading adventures but not to cars/ motor-sports in general. I have a 19 Rubicon 4 door that I have taken to 2 off road parks. This last weekend while on a level 3 (out of 5) I really felt I needed a lift and larger tires to maneuver over the rocks. Most guys had 4" lifts and 35-37 tires. There were several tight spots and close calls and I'm really shocked I didn't scratch up more stuff than I did.
I know I'm gona get the comments like "oh Jeeps are supposed to be scratched" and "That's what their used for".... But I'm seriously considering getting a 05-06 TJ rubicon or a 08-09 2 door Rubicon and save my 50k Jeep for cruising around and light fire roads.... I can pick one up for 10-15k with 35" tires and not have to cringe every time I get really close to sliding into a tree.

What I'm asking from the knowledgeable Jeep community out here is whats a better buy? I know the 3.8 is under powered but is it worth staying with a 10 year older TJ platform to get the 4.0?
Offroad it. I think what youd spend on another full jeep for offroading, you can just pay to have any scratches fixed.

I made the mistake of hitting some REALLY tight trails and had branches put some nice clear coat scratches on the side. I got over it quick and Im doing my own buffing. I got the worst one out already.

But this was my first jeep and first trail ride ever. I learned quickly. Out of the many miles of trails, theres plenty of fun trails that dont require me to go into tight trails. I can easily back out.

Learn your trails and be careful. I think you can hit some neat places without damaging your jeep one bit if youre just careful.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Meh....pick whichever you like better. Both have their advantagesh/disadvantages.

If you want longer wheelbase, get the JK 4 dr. It doesn't sound like you're going to fab a TJ (non-LJ) to the point where it's on 1Tons and is stretched to 110" WB...so if you are okay with a 94-100" WB, the TJ probably makes more sense mainly b/c it's smaller and fits down tighter trails better than the 2 dr JK....but has that really annoying low hanging belly pan.

It all depends on your uses too....need to haul 4 adults....get the JKU. Like to climb BIG waterfalls, JKU. Run really tight trails, JK 2dr or TJ. Need more interior room, JK.

I you're planning more extreme trails, I'd stay away from the manual.....even though I much prefer standard transmissions, as much as it pains me to say it....they don't work as well for bigger obstacles or vehicles without stupid deep gear boxes (like over 100:1)
QFT. I 'wheel w a guy in Moab who is die hard manual lover. I can't get him to see how much it hurts his 'wheeling on ledges because at some point if he's not going to make it he has to clutch it, almost always resulting in backward progress.

An auto is like being able to track stand on a mtn bike while a manual forces you to clip out if you don't clean it.

I LOVE manuals in any other application but for 'wheeling they just don't work as well, no way around it.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
QFT. I 'wheel w a guy in Moab who is die hard manual lover. I can't get him to see how much it hurts his 'wheeling on ledges because at some point if he's not going to make it he has to clutch it, almost always resulting in backward progress.

An auto is like being able to track stand on a mtn bike while a manual forces you to clip out if you don't clean it.

I LOVE manuals in any other application but for 'wheeling they just don't work as well, no way around it.
I hear this a lot, but since I drive the vast majority of miles on-road, I went with the manual. I have not been wheeling with my Jeep yet (this weekend will be my first run, W00T!!) but regardless of how it is on the trails I am sure I'll be able to handle it. I just HATE (H-A-T-E) automatic transmissions.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I bought a new JL Rubicon about 4 weeks ago. I haven’t had a vehicle this nice before so I completely understand where the author of this thread is coming from because I was that guy. But I bought this vehicle to enjoy. I off-roaded and mudded with a group most of the weekend and got a few scratches. Scratches can be buffed out which is what I plan to do. If something happens, it’s not like it’s a Audi or BMW, if you are concerned about it, damage can be repaired and be made to look like new. Take it out, enjoy it and go for it!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I hear this a lot, but since I drive the vast majority of miles on-road, I went with the manual. I have not been wheeling with my Jeep yet (this weekend will be my first run, W00T!!) but regardless of how it is on the trails I am sure I'll be able to handle it. I just HATE (H-A-T-E) automatic transmissions.
I have never offroaded in anything but a manual. That includes rock crawling. You'll survive.
Sponsored

Last edited: