Offroad Rental Recommendations

Jstarr

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ, 2020 T4R TRDOR, 2017 Taco TRDOR, 2000 Tundra
We just ended a one month rental of a 2020 Sahara 2L from Enterprise out of PHX.
We put on 3600mi, mostly unpaved trails and backroads around AZ, Utah, NM & Colorado and had a great time visiting old friends and tall passes.
Enterprise & their JL were great, and I found the JL Sahara pretty competent up until the few points where things got too radical and we had to back out when scraping started to get serious.
I've had a '94 YJ with slight lift and ARB lockers and a few other goodies since new, and this trip made me interested in a possible JL upgrade. I've also got a Tacoma & 4Runner and big John Deere 5300 around here, but the jeep thang is calling me.
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Twisted Jeeps in Moab has some awesome people working for them. I broke my LCA while in Moab and they delivered one to my campsite at the KOA within 30 minutes of calling them. If I rented, I’d go with them without thinking twice.
+1 on Twisted Jeeps. They have the most built Jeeps and allow the most trails in Moab from what I understand. I wheel with a couple that flies in every year and rents from them, and they swear by Twisted. I just rented from them on a motorcycle trip out that way a couple weeks ago and was very happy with the experience as well.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I would strongly recommend keeping away from Barlow. Terrible experience. They confirmed my 3 day reservation first so I booked hotels etc. for me and my friends. Then they asked for a list of trails we would like to drive so I sent them the list of trails I considered and asked them for recommendation about what to choose.
After receiving my list, they just let me know that I am not a good fit for them and they cancelled my confirmed reservation. I asked them to reconsider and offered a security deposit but they did not even bother to answer my e-mails or phone calls. It was extremely inconvinient for me as I already had my entire vacation planned and my friends had also made plans accordingly.
Curious, what trails did you mention?

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
Curious, what trails did you mention?
This is copied from an e-mail I sent to Barlow Jeep Rental after they confirmed my reservation and asked for the plan:

My plan looks like this:
Day 1: Some of these trails near Sedona:
26. Broken Arrow
24. Soldier Pass
27. Oak Creek Homestead
23. Devils Bridge
21. Outlaw Trail
22. Greasy Spoon

Day 2: Some of these trails near Sedona:
17. Horseshoe Canyon
16. Smiley Rock
20. Red Rock Powerline
18. Woodchute Trail
19. Mingus Mountain
28. House Mountain

Day 3: Some of these trails South of Prescott
31. Desoto Mine (red) 4-5 hours, difficult
32. Turkey Creek (red) 5-6 hours
35. Black Canyon Creek (red) 2-3 hours

The numbers are according Charles A. Wells Guide to Arizona, 2nd edition
I'd be happy for you recommendations. I understand that you probably don't like trail 31 - Desoto Mine and I will respect if you do not allow it (or any other trails from my list).

And this is what Nena Barlow replied to me (Nena mentioned Rubicon trail as I told her by phone that Rubicon trail can be done in 8 hours - which is true, it's 5-6 hours of driving without stops - I did it many times, I am local there):

Thank you for your interest in Barlow Adventures, but it seems like your needs and our service are not a good match. We rent our Jeeps for visitors who want to explore local trails for casual scenic tourism. If you are accustomed to driving the Rubicon Trail in 8 hours, then we are really not interested in renting one of our Jeeps to you. Thank you for your honest inquiry and description of your driving preferences. We have removed your reservation from our system, and, of course, there is no charge. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Happy trails,
Nena Barlow

So, if you would ever need to rent anything from Barlow, be very careful.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on Twisted Jeeps. They have the most built Jeeps and allow the most trails in Moab from what I understand. I wheel with a couple that flies in every year and rents from them, and they swear by Twisted. I just rented from them on a motorcycle trip out that way a couple weeks ago and was very happy with the experience as well.
what suspensions do they run on their jeeps?

Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I second Barlow, rented from them multiple times in Sedona. Their rigs are well set up and in excellent condition, and you will have a choice of trails from easy to hard. I would highly recommend renting from them.
what kind of suspension setups did they run on their jeeps?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

If I remember correctly in Sedona they are running 35 inch tires and a 2 inch lift - more than enough for trails like Broken Arrow. I think in Moab they run a bigger lift, but haven't been there....yet... :)

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Rancho, on 37” milestars

Let me dig for some comparison shots

Most of the rentals i see are similar to this
Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad Rental Recommendations FAE252C7-0EC1-4016-9600-AB220F01409D

Twisted on 37s
Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad Rental Recommendations AF0AB033-A824-44A4-A75B-4EFEBE733387
Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad Rental Recommendations 81C432E5-F44B-4FEC-B6DB-A47E7A791047

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing against rancho or any other suspension, most shops here don’t want me event thinking about it. Have you been twisted jeeps before? If so how’s the ride ?

Rancho, on 37” milestars

Let me dig for some comparison shots

Most of the rentals i see are similar to this
Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad Rental Recommendations 81C432E5-F44B-4FEC-B6DB-A47E7A791047

Twisted on 37s

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Nothing against rancho or any other suspension, most shops here don’t want me event thinking about it. Have you been twisted jeeps before? If so how’s the ride ?
I’ve rented from them, and we go with a couple out there every year for a week, they rent from twisted every time. They’re always rolling at ~15psi, so it’s hard to tell how they would handle on the street at pressure, but they do just fine off road.

I’m not endorsing any lift kit here either, just the rentals. If you are going to Moab to push your limits, they have (or at least have historically had) the “biggest” rigs and the most lienient approved trail list

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember correctly in Sedona they are running 35 inch tires and a 2 inch lift - more than enough for trails like Broken Arrow. I think in Moab they run a bigger lift, but haven't been there....yet... :)

Same set up. The vehicles regularly cycle between Sedona and Moab according to logistics needs and maintenance.

I worked there for a few years in Moab.
Sponsored