Offroad Rental Recommendations

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I‘m a flatlander from the Midwest and am researching a trip West in November for some wheeling. Does anyone have recommendations for a good area and outfit to rent a rig from? Given my relative newbie status in terms of serious offroading, I’m interested In learning so a rental with a 101 course or guided is good. I want to learn rather than just have an ”experience”. Tip of the cap to all of the awesome folks on this forum who I‘ve appreciated learning from and interacting with. Figured I’d ask here in addition to other research as this is the group who can drop the knowledge. Thanks in advance :beer:
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Our group was very pleased with Outlaw Adventure Tours in Moab. FWIW, I would consider running your own Jeep. We had a stock JLUR on Sahara tires and a stock JKR in our group and ran some pretty serious stuff; metal masher, most of poison spider, etc. Granted we were pretty experienced, but still the guide was really good at keeping us within our vehicle's limitations.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Twisted Jeeps in Moab has some awesome people working for them. I broke my LCA while in Moab and they delivered one to my campsite at the KOA within 30 minutes of calling them. If I rented, I’d go with them without thinking twice.

SGTZn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 F250 Platinum
Also recommend Outlaw Adventures. I was just there 2 days ago. I’ve used them since I first bought my Jeep. My son had his drivers license 1 month( JKUR) and my JLUR still had temp plates when we went wheeling. Great owner and very knowledgeable guides! Both mine and my sons Jeep’s were lifted and modded at their shop. My JLUR is there right now getting Dana 60’s!
If you have any questions PM me.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’m going to Moab end of September/early October for a few days. I reserved a Jeep with Cliffhanger Jeep Rentals. Went with the “Extreme” rental option which is a 4 door Rubicon on 37s. First time to Moab, gonna run a few trails. I plan on taking my own Jeep there next year for EJS.

OP
OP
chachimcnacho

chachimcnacho

First Name
Chachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Appreciate the info from all :fist bump:. Would love to run my own Jeep but 1500+ miles away and built out of necessity for Chicago winters more than Moab :CWL:. Idea is to get some experience in a built for purpose rig in order to begin to plan for a build from a ‘23 order (trading in my ‘18). Dreams of prepping for retirement and a potential move.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Where do you plan to go wheeling "out west" in November? The mountains will be full of snow, we have that winter thing too. Even Moab is chancy in November...

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I second Barlow, rented from them multiple times in Sedona. Their rigs are well set up and in excellent condition, and you will have a choice of trails from easy to hard. I would highly recommend renting from them.

drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 Toyota Highlander, 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Appreciate the info from all :fist bump:. Would love to run my own Jeep but 1500+ miles away and built out of necessity for Chicago winters more than Moab :CWL:. Idea is to get some experience in a built for purpose rig in order to begin to plan for a build from a ‘23 order (trading in my ‘18). Dreams of prepping for retirement and a potential move.
I just did the trip from Chicago to Moab in May. It isn't that bad. Leave at 4 or 5 in the afternoon, drive through the night and you will be there the next afternoon. You also get boring Nebraska at night, then sunrise with the mountains. And would have made me feel bad I didn't take my Jeep when I got there. Your Jeep will thank you.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I second Barlow, rented from them multiple times in Sedona. Their rigs are well set up and in excellent condition, and you will have a choice of trails from easy to hard. I would highly recommend renting from them.
I would strongly recommend keeping away from Barlow. Terrible experience. They confirmed my 3 day reservation first so I booked hotels etc. for me and my friends. Then they asked for a list of trails we would like to drive so I sent them the list of trails I considered and asked them for recommendation about what to choose.
After receiving my list, they just let me know that I am not a good fit for them and they cancelled my confirmed reservation. I asked them to reconsider and offered a security deposit but they did not even bother to answer my e-mails or phone calls. It was extremely inconvinient for me as I already had my entire vacation planned and my friends had also made plans accordingly.
Sponsored