Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! Theoretical (and some days applied) Strategist actually. Does your Houston location suggest an astro... focus for you?
Haha, I knew it! I work with Mathematicians daily. I know how yall minds operate! šŸ¤“

Yes! Iā€™m a native Houstonian.

Go Astrosss! šŸ§”šŸ§”šŸ§”
Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
So, I realize you seem to know what you're doing as far as Suspension geometry goes and setting the Jeep up. You might consider going back to the stock knuckles and ball joints. Maybe even consider removing some things and putting them back to stock that you don't need. I'm sure you've had/seen brand new parts be defective. You might have something you've added that was cast wrong, or in bad shape from the get go. Hope you fix it. I mind is a terrible thing to waste on a Bronco, lol.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
I think the DW is part of life with solid front axle vehicle. My 2018 F250 had this issue, so does my 2021 F350 Dually. Have less than 5k miles on Dually and it happened a few times.
Respectfully have to disagree. I've had a couple of CJ-7's, an '85 GMC, a '22 F350 (12k miles), and my '22 JL Willys. Never once experienced death wobble or anything close.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So, I realize you seem to know what you're doing as far as Suspension geometry goes and setting the Jeep up. You might consider going back to the stock knuckles and ball joints. Maybe even consider removing some things and putting them back to stock that you don't need. I'm sure you've had/seen brand new parts be defective. You might have something you've added that was cast wrong, or in bad shape from the get go. Hope you fix it. I mind is a terrible thing to waste on a Bronco, lol.
The Jeep is currently in my back shop until Spring. At that point I will sell it, fix it, or burn it.

Sponsored

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious what mods you had done. I've had my 2018 JLUR for 4 years now. Only mod I did was installed 35" tires. It drives great and always has. No issues with steering or suspension.

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I'm curious what mods you had done. I've had my 2018 JLUR for 4 years now. Only mod I did was installed 35" tires. It drives great and always has. No issues with steering or suspension.
it would be a shorter list to say what is not. Gears.

Clayton arms
2.5 springs
Dynatrac ball joints
Reid knuckles
2.5 ton Rustyā€™s stering
Apex steering boost
Steer smart track bar brace
Steer smart track bar
35ā€ Toyo at3
Fox DSC 2.5 shocks
Fox ats stabilizer
Iā€™m sure I am missing stuff

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Welp. You are def belong in a bronco if you think they even begin to compare with jeeps... so enjoy your new bronco- buy a rain coat for the leaks, and superglue for the dash- it'll be fineeeeee šŸ˜†. Bye felicia.
Hello Red found you some hot sauce you might find to your taste. My daughter found it at a Fall Festival here.
Hot Sauce - Lalos Sauce

688243342.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Well after 2 years of fighting with this thing, 1/2 a dozen gear boxes, track bars, stabilizers, tires,wheels, control arms. Iā€™m done fighting it. Yesterday doing 70 on the expressway I hit a small bump, Jeep literally went across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic, over the curb and into the grass shoulder. Couldnā€™t get the death wobble to stop. Im shocked I didnā€™t hit anyone or cause a major accident,Iā€™m done. Iā€™m going to see what I can get for it the way it sits, if I canā€™t get any decent offers there will be a ton of parts listed in the for sale area. I have never fought a Jeep this much in my life.
I hate to say it but there will be a new Bronco sitting in my garage before long.
That's insane. Death wobble should not actually throw you around like that unless you panic. What you experienced was some bizarre mechanical failure.

Whatever it was, and if it was related to death wobble or not. I would also move on.

Northernlites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired
Reminds me of back in the mid 1970's and early 80's when short box trucks were the rage. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Just about everyone had lift kits, multiple added shocks, and big rims/tires. Didn't take long for transmissions, transfer cases, suspensions, steering components, and axles to start to fail. Even low mile trucks. Now with all the technology and lighter components on new vehicles, some were just meant to stay basically stock. But there are always the lemons from every auto/truck manufacturer in the world. Knock on wood I never had one yet.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Do you think itā€™s more common on jeeps with Frankenstein suspension systems where different manufacturers may have slightly different tolerances that cause wear on each? combine that with larger tires? Just trying to figure out the common denominator.
Having springs from one manufacturer, shocks from other, and control arms from other wont fuck up your Jeep. Unless you are spending LOTS of money and getting a whole suspension tuned for your Jeep. Most lift kits out there are like "Frankenstein lifts". Buy proper parts from reputable brands and your Jeep will drive like stock or better, regardless if you pick from different manufacturers or buy a whole kit.

When you modify a Jeep you will always risk messing something up. If the work is done incorrectly, or if you got a defective part. It is the risk of modifying a Jeep.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase

Clayton arms
2.5 springs
Dynatrac ball joints
Reid knuckles
Apex steering boost
Steer smart track bar
35ā€ Toyo at3
Fox DSC 2.5 shocks
Fox ats stabilizer
Sounds like a nice rig. Too bad they couldn't get it to work.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast

Clayton arms
2.5 springs
Dynatrac ball joints
Reid knuckles
Apex steering boost
Steer smart track bar
35ā€ Toyo at3
Fox DSC 2.5 shocks
Fox ats stabilizer
Out of curiosity, you have a track bar tower on the axle side and what does the angle comparison the track bar and drag link look like? Track bar and drag link should be at similar angles. Typically without a track bar tower you end up with one at a steep angle and the other at a shallower angle. This can induce bump steer which can either trigger DW or can feel damn near the same if it's bad enough.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Well after 2 years of fighting with this thing, 1/2 a dozen gear boxes, track bars, stabilizers, tires,wheels, control arms. Iā€™m done fighting it. Yesterday doing 70 on the expressway I hit a small bump, Jeep literally went across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic, over the curb and into the grass shoulder. Couldnā€™t get the death wobble to stop. Im shocked I didnā€™t hit anyone or cause a major accident,Iā€™m done. Iā€™m going to see what I can get for it the way it sits, if I canā€™t get any decent offers there will be a ton of parts listed in the for sale area. I have never fought a Jeep this much in my life.
I hate to say it but there will be a new Bronco sitting in my garage before long.
All of that money and you haven't tried the least expensive thing you can do in a modded Jeep: Slow down.
Sponsored